Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames
I'm liking the dev's reactions to shitheads on discord.

EDIT: Even better one from darth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames
Be sure to run your traders through the tutorial for your free harvester.

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames

welp

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames

ModeSix posted:

The only problem is, it's NGE, which was the worst loving thing ever to happen to this game.

It was nothing but improvements after the NGE though.

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames

Mulva posted:

Well I mean the game continued to bleed people and never got another meaningful expansion again. It was pretty much "the end". Can't get much worse than that.

Yeah, they did so bad the game could never recover even if it wasn't a complete flaming shitpile at the end.

Still garbage. But the fun kind of garbage you and your weird friends could roll around in.

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames
Stella Bellum was really depressing to watch fall apart.

Everything in their emulator seemed to work perfectly except the whole launch fiasco.

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames
It sounds strange, but most of the time I played the game it was NGE and it was the most fun I'd ever had playing an MMO.

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames
So I've been dicking around on SWG Legends. It's an NGE server that's been released for a while now.
It seems almost feature complete, I haven't run into any major noticeable bugs and the population stays around 500-1000 depends on the time.

But whenever I get fully buffed to go out and do poo poo they restart the server.

like 5 times a day at this point

I know it's just a small inconvenience, but it makes it hard to get a group going. When that "server restart in an hour" system message pops up no one is willing to do anything until after the restart.

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames
Didn't the source get leaked by some dev that got catfished?

Goast fucked around with this message at 10:58 on May 14, 2017

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames

remember to use junk passwords on lovely emu servers you don't care about

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames
It's kinda old so I'm sure some of you have read it, but Ralph Koster wrote a thing about early SWG development.

The whole thing really explains why SWG was the way it was.

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames
The "jedi by December" thing explains a lot

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames
The discord link in op is expired btw

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames
SWG is dead and I guess I just have to deal with it :smith:

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames
I would be up for some garbage on legends. Have literaly no cash or gear though.

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames
Late NGE crafting was the poo poo too.

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames
SWG Reckoning is having a double exp week if anyone cares.

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames
Gotta get that NGE junk loot for reverse engineering somehow.

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames

neat, keep doing the thing

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames
Everyone is quietly grinding away to making good poo poo ATM

If you wanna run around and shoot dudes you'll be able to manage, but if you wanna craft we're still working on supplying good poo poo.

Also, people are talking poo poo and ATK most the time I'm on so let's go make some good poo poo and make this playable those that aren't terminally online.

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames
come grind crafting professions and make this server playable

we need harvesters, houses and weapons so go do that

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames

Radio Free Kobold posted:

as far as i can tell, most people have two or three alts for crafting and support. what would i need to interact with other players to do? or, rather, what's to stop this from just being a single-player game?

depends on what you want those alts to do

the way the game works even 3 alts isnt enough to go solo

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames

Conskill posted:

"Goon SWG server" is the sound of something that could go pear-shaped

That's the fun part

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames
swg might be star wars but I don't think anyone here wants anything to do with those people in that subforum

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames

SoUncool posted:

apparently they're "on the road to post 1.0"

its been that way for over half a decade tbh

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames

Erev posted:

A fresh start and a limit on characters and building slots would revive my interest in the game - at least for a while. They need to find a way to deal with item and resource bloat.

crank up the decay rate of armor and weapons :getin:

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames

Drone posted:

actually come to think of it, is there an actual mechanical reason why Coronet is always the de facto server capital city? Or is that just more tradition than anything else? (and probably asking too much, but any patch that supports 2560x1440?)

its easier to shuttle around from corellia

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames

TerminalSaint posted:

I do miss the atmospheric flight that the live devs added for funsies right before the end.

tbf that was more of a tacked on gimmick they threw out there because gently caress it game is dead

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames
Ive done full heroic runs a few times on Legends but I can't see myself making it a regular thing.

You can bring the game back but you can't bring 2007 back.

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames

Ricki Rick posted:

Is this pre cu?

yeah Basilisk is the vanilla pre-cu server run by the original SWGEmu team

still not fully finished and will be wiped and replaced whenever the devs decide they've hit 1.0, though its been effectively feature complete for years now

Goast fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Jul 26, 2021

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames
Wait CU has RE that uses junk loot?

I remember that being a NGE thing

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames

ModeSix posted:

I am not sure what the concern over having to self-heal is, it's literally part of the rotation and fits into the GCD dance in between the Melee Hit and Melee Strike cooldowns. (these two moves are on separate CD's so should be alternated back and forth, if you're not using both you're doing it wrong). I am literally blasting faces of poo poo 5-8 levels higher than I am and not dying, yes there's a lot of self-healing but that's uhhh what it's there for?

This is coming from someone that started playing this about two hours ago for the first time ever. I've never played CU and only about 10 minutes of NGE.

i think the problem is that those self healing heavy fights take forever and mostly throw you med exp which doesn't help you kill dudes faster

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames

bird food bathtub posted:

It was the crafting system getting hit with a tac nuke that did it for me. I really, really liked the old school resource system. Crafting from it was sort of meh, but I lived and died by that site that tracked server specific resources, current spawns, hunting across planets for good extractor drop sites and so on.

When it went away, so did I.

the resource system never really changed though? they also revamped weapon crafting in an actual good way a few years into the nge lmao

also swgcraft is still alive and well, working on every random emu server

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames

Proud Christian Mom posted:

A very small but very vocal minority is howling because they have literally no idea what to do except that.

ignoring the howling grogs that have been playing the same game for almost 2 decades makes me want to reinstall

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames
the intro to this server's old trailer really captures the energy that causes these projects to fail

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7AeHyI9HP7Q

all the spinoffs may end in drama but swgemu still chugs along over a decade later, gotta give them credit for that

Goast fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Mar 15, 2022