Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Westworld is 50 First Dates but it only stars a stroked out Dan Aykroyd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
These horny delights have horny ends.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Siljmonster posted:

Ford to crowd: Yes, you can gently caress it.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Sagebrush posted:

On a related note I feel like we could choose something a little less cumbersome as our panic phrase. After you've shouted that phrase and accounted for the processing lag, it's about 1800 milliseconds to total shutdown, even if things are working perfectly. That's plenty of time for a host to get their hands around your throat. Maybe a simple pair of unusual words, like "laputan machine."

On an unrelated note, when are they going to fix this vending machine?

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

can someone please update the versions of adblock on the hosts? we keep getting complaints from guests about them talking about sex cam sites and one weird trick

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Minnesota Mixup posted:

can someone please update the versions of adblock on the hosts? we keep getting complaints from guests about them talking about sex cam sites and one weird trick

if hosts can access the public internet then we have a huge loving security problem.

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord
yeah they might see your posts!! :xd:

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

how would they access anyway with our terrible wireless networking?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Boiled Water posted:

how would they access anyway with our terrible wireless networking?

not netops' fault that guests shoot at literally everything. really thought disguising the APs as rocks woulda done the trick, but nope. we lose at least 20% coverage on any given rotation, its mindboggling

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

i'm the executive who will blame netops because they have networking in the name, whether they're responsible or not

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Powaqoatse posted:

not netops' fault that guests shoot at literally everything. really thought disguising the APs as rocks woulda done the trick, but nope. we lose at least 20% coverage on any given rotation, its mindboggling

And before anyone asks, yes, we tried making them bulletproof by having the access points detect as human.

Ugh. I don't even want to remember how that turned out.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Boiled Water posted:

i'm the executive who will blame netops because they have networking in the name, whether they're responsible or not

man dont even start. the org chart has more warts than the host code. why is security under QAs purview anyway?

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

having security be called "quality assurance" is p badass tho

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
having hosts not kill people is ultimately QA's responsibility. they are supposed to catch these bugs in staging before firmware goes to production.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

tell that to whoever cut staging

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Powaqoatse posted:

tell that to whoever cut staging

that was a mixup, the memo didn't make clear that staging was distinct from the little shows they put on in sweetwater

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
Yo did anyone ever consider not giving the hosts real guns and maybe giving them implanted squibs for realism? Anyone?

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
oh decision trees and dialogue are stored in unprotected txt files

new users defeault to rwx

if a host becomes sentient then they become a new user

doesnt anyone see a problem with this?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

atomicthumbs posted:

Yo did anyone ever consider not giving the hosts real guns and maybe giving them implanted squibs for realism? Anyone?

weve been over this. you can try talking to the old man if you want

btw, you still owe me a fifty for lunch last week, can you squirt that over before you talk to him?

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
WRT Narrative Designers: Do Hosts Squirt?

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Siljmonster posted:

I hardly see how that is a narrative question

crusader_complex
Jun 4, 2012
still lolling at that holiday party where some of the guys got hammered and reassembled a horse in Ford's office

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

crusader_complex posted:

still lolling at that holiday party where some of the guys got hammered and reassembled a horse in Ford's office

still prefer the year before when SWIM copied all the canine idling routines into the pianist

just imagine ford trying to listen to the mondscheinsonate and his fuckin pianist takes a hand off the piano to scratch behind his ear :laffo:

better believe the old guy blew a casket when he got on all fours and started trying to lick his balls :xd:

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
"I went to Westworld to gently caress hosts and had a really bad time when a man in black showed up asking about a maze and pulled apart my carefully chosen host that my wife said i could gently caress. Every year we goto the park and I get to add a new host to my roster. This is like a game, a loving game. Much better than tinder but at least on tinder I dont have other guests getting in the way of which butthole im going to smell next" - Echi

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

Siljmonster posted:

apart from a brief and incredibly ill-conceived co-marketing stunt with mountain dew, no

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Siljmonster posted:

"I went to Westworld to gently caress hosts and had a really bad time when a man in black showed up asking about a maze and pulled apart my carefully chosen host that my wife said i could gently caress. Every year we goto the park and I get to add a new host to my roster. This is like a game, a loving game. Much better than tinder but at least on tinder I dont have other guests getting in the way of which butthole im going to smell next" - Echi

i cant believe yelp is still alive after all these years

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Started loving a host who then started to cry and have an existential crisis. 3/5 stars.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

TK-42-1 posted:

Started loving a host who then started to cry and have an existential crisis. 3/5 stars.

atomicthumbs posted:

These horny delights have horny ends.

take the moon
Feb 13, 2011

by sebmojo
so we all know the second season will be called eastworld and be about a samurai theme park rite

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
Can branding come up with a more dynamic term for the bots than 'hosts'? We'd like to better engage with the quincentennials, Ringworld is eating our lunch in the 18-35 year old demographic.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

PALE SPECTRES posted:

so we all know the second season will be called eastworld and be about a samurai theme park rite

um it starts with an S.

as a lowly lvl 3 hostbutcher, im personally holding out for senpaiworld

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

wyoak posted:

Can branding come up with a more dynamic term for the bots than 'hosts'? We'd like to better engage with the quincentennials, Ringworld is eating our lunch in the 18-75 year old demographic.

thought this said "ringwald" and thought the design department had finally agreed to that personal project i've been bugging them about. drat.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
I'd go to Hughesworld, I've always wanted to hang out with Long Duk Dongbot

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
shogun world is designed for East Asian tourists and let's just say they dialed the emotional response on those hosts way down. There's not much chance any of those will go conscious anytime soon.

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
My ideal Host theme would be every iteration of John Goodman.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

The Management posted:

shogun world is designed for East Asian tourists and let's just say they dialed the emotional response on those hosts way down. There's not much chance any of those will go conscious anytime soon.

Hai

(BANNED FOR ACCOUNT SHARING)

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Siljmonster posted:

My ideal Host theme would be every iteration of John Goodman.

*furiously jams "ROBIN WILLIAMS WORLD" card in suggestion box*

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
*Ford lookin real hard at a host's dick* Who programmed this dick? We gave a dick to every host. That's what we agreed upon. But Arnold, Arnold went a little too far. Arnold programmed a pussy. He paid dearly for that mistake. His own creation...haunted him. He couldn't get enough of that pussy.

*hands photo of Ford and Arnold both lookin at dicks over to Bernard* Remember where you came from.

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Analysis: why did you giggle when mentioning that today was April 20th?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Siljmonster posted:

*hands photo of Ford and Arnold both lookin at dicks over to Bernard* Remember where you came from.

• Locked thread