Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I like gungeon much much more than isaac but a lot of it is the art not being just poo poo and flies everywhere

Larry Parrish posted:

Enter the gungeon is an Isaac style game and nuclear throne is a straight up bullet hell game but you play a mutant instead of a spaceship

They're both good but enter the gungeon seems to take more effort to play, where as in nuclear throne I just have to move around and mash the fire button

Once you figure out how to play enter the gungeon is much easier though, stuff like the invincible roll lets you make a lot of mistakes and still recover

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

FactsAreUseless posted:

Fish can roll.

Yeah but in nuclear throne that's the starting, get used to the game character. In Gungeon everyoen does it and the games designed around it

Also it feels like in nuclear throne you can mess up and die really quickly, in gungeon you get kind of overwhelmed but have time to react

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

FactsAreUseless posted:

I think they're just designed differently. It's harder to die in Gungeon, but the penalties are worse because each Gungeon run is way longer. In Throne you're just expected to die a lot and just start over, because a successful game is like... 20 minutes to half an hour.

Oh yeah and a bad first floor in gungeon can kinda ruin the rest of your run too

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

PleasingFungus posted:

not sure how i feel about this game so far. it seemed funny to me that people had to go 'i like nuclear throne' OR 'i like enter the gungeon', but i can feel myself falling into that same pattern right now - like, why are all the starting guns so intentionally unsatisfying? why can nothing shoot straight?

i'm going to give it a bit longer to see if it'll 'click' with me. the art in particular is really charming, all the enemies are really cute. so far playing this just makes me want to play more Deathstate, though

You can like both but they make enough different decisions that to me it feels like they're appealing to 2 totally different groups even if they're both "twinstick shooter roguelike"

Which is really cool actually that there's space for these 2 things to exist at the same time

fozzy fosbourne posted:

I never remember to use the blanks. I feel like i never have enough of them to train the proper muscle memory

Each floor you go back up to 2 blanks. If you beat a boss with more than 2 blanks left, you keep them all, if you're fighting a boss and have only 2 blanks left just use them freely

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I saw a Devolver booth at TGS and they had Gungeon in japanese and also this new isometric 2D art dark souls type game called Eitr and the americans at the booth wouldn't talk to me about videogames. I wanted to tell them Gungeon is a good game but it was probably some PR guy that had nothing to do with it

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Fayez Butts posted:

just to reiterate devolver is only the publisher

Yeah I'm totally aware it's the PR guys for the publisher though so you'd think it's good to know

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

goferchan posted:

I played this all day yesterday.... i also learned that the bloodborne brooch that lets you regain health from inflicting damage also cuts the reload time of the trick weapon if you have them both equipped at once

Lol that's awesome

They really like souls games

• Locked thread