Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

discount cathouse posted:

Dark Souls, well known for killing characters based random chance and permadeath. Also tits.

(people who compare this to dark souls piss me off. darkest dungeon is a better comparison, as its also a grimdark overcomplicated pachislots machine)

Yeah, they want to be more Rogue-like. But the early game in Nethack is all about making your character invulnerable to as many forms of insta-death as possible. For real time roguelikes, the randomly generated levels are designed to be beatable with perfect skill and reaction times, even if the random item drops totally screw you over. I don't think you can reach that level of luck mitigation in Kingdom Death.

They'd be much better off with totally deterministic enemies and random enemy group composition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Det_no posted:

Huh? What are you talking about? You discover everything by experimentation, same as you would do in something like Dark Souls since that keeps coming up except without the hyperbole. It's like when you find Havel down there in his tower; You see him, don't know how tough he is, you can choose to find out or be cautious.

But in dark souls, you can see that fire trap hallways look much more blackened without running into the fire. You can tell that Havel looks very different from (and arguably looks more badass than) a typical enemy in the area without actually attacking him. You only learn about these traps in KD after you get hit by them. So a more accurate analogy is if Havel the Rock looked exactly like an Undead Soldier or Armored Hollow, but always spawned in the same spot in the Upper Undead Burg.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

dr_ether posted:

The 3 sentences to me are separate clauses to how survivors pass through the logic gate the event creates.

In many board games, effects occur in exactly the order they are written. So if a sentence is written after another sentence, it's effects also occur afterwards as if it were code for a computer. This makes it easier to create clear and precise rules, as opposed to the joys of "natural language". I believe that MtG pioneered this innovation, but it is pretty common nowadays for good reason.

• Locked thread