Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

I think the Bible is a good source for moral guidance but I know I'm in the minority on that so I want to gain some consensus and understanding on some topics of sexual ethics without appealing to religion or sin

First , is it immoral / should it be illegal for employees to have sexual relationships with their bosses?

Argument: because this type of relationship entails an inherent power imbalance, coercion is too likely and true consent is unacheivable .

Your thoughts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx
Nice you posted the answer to your question good work

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

I'm just posting a starting argument to get the discussion going

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I don't know, what does the Bible have to say about it?

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

scrubs season six posted:

I don't know, what does the Bible have to say about it?

No you're doing th thread wrong!!

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
i think having sex with your boss leads to beastiality which is good IMO

Stickfigure
Sep 4, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Consent is overrated, imo.

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
i mean who cares?

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
I like when that dude in the bible kills all those kids because they called him bald head. Good moral guidance there.

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Leon Einstein posted:

I like when that dude in the bible kills all those kids because they called him bald head. Good moral guidance there.

very poor reasoning for an einstein

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

dad gay. so what posted:

i mean who cares?

If we can't agree on the rules of consent people will be marrying robots and jellyfish in no time!!!

But seriously though I'm trying to get a consistent understanding of secular logic on this since these days both challenging sexual norms and affirming safe rules of consent are Hot Topics

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Commie NedFlanders posted:

If we can't agree on the rules of consent people will be marrying robots and jellyfish in no time!!!

and then what?

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

But seriously though I'm trying to get a consistent understanding of secular logic on this since these days both challenging sexual norms and affirming safe rules of consent are Hot Topics

let meknow what you come up with but my guess is that there can be no consensus since we are all sovereign citizens with our own laws

you irl
Jan 22, 2014

dad gay. so what posted:

i think having sex with your boss leads to beastiality which is good IMO

bosstiality

you irl
Jan 22, 2014
my robotic jellyfish wife (common law) says it's immoral and wrong to have carnal relations with a supervisor but she's old fashioned

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

ask me anything about robots
Buglord

dad gay. so what posted:

let meknow what you come up with but my guess is that there can be no consensus since we are all sovereign citizens with our own laws

dgsw when you drive down the highway are you "traveling"? are you your own corporation with the weird capital letters and poo poo?

"Dee Gee Ess Double-you, Inc."

also the morality of the Bible shouldn't matter since it was made for a bunch of folks living in the desert 3000 years ago

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
You should probably post this same thread like 6 more times :discourse:

you irl
Jan 22, 2014

That Robot posted:

dgsw when you drive down the highway are you "traveling"? are you your own corporation with the weird capital letters and poo poo?

"Dee Gee Ess Double-you, Inc."

also the morality of the Bible shouldn't matter since it was made for a bunch of folks living in the desert 3000 years ago

aren't we all just wanderers in a desert though? think about it

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
monogamy is good for society and should be encouraged

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Consent is a grey area op, not black and white, and therefore is derived from alien morality instead of from Malcolm X.

poopnanners
May 3, 2016

hey guys lets party
it is normal for a 914 year old to have sex with a 14 year old

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.
According to the bible God gets to knock up whoever he wants to without even asking.

So what's good for the goose is good for the gander, I suppose.

Lord Frankenstyle fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Nov 29, 2016

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
If it ain't immoral it's sure as poo poo stupid

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

It is a very stupid and unprofessional thing to do OP but not really immoral assuming both parties are consenting adults.

New thread topic: is it immoral / should it be illegal for Lot's daughters to rape him when he's passed out drunk and then claim god told them to?

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
The Bible seems pretty down with slavery, I'm not sure how great it is as a source for moral guidance

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

So from the people actually addressing the thread topic the consensus seems to be that it is unprofessional but not immoral nor should it be illegal despite the inherent power dynamics being problematic.

As long as they consent it's cool I guess

Next question: should parents be allowed to legally have sex with their children when they reach the age of consent?

Certainly this seems icky and gross to the majority of people but to be fair so did homosexuality to most people for thousands of years

The arguments for this are the rxact same as the previous question

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

So from the people actually addressing the thread topic the consensus seems to be that it is unprofessional but not immoral nor should it be illegal despite the inherent power dynamics being problematic.

Next question: should parents be allowed to legally have sex with their children when they reach the age of consent?

Certainly this seems icky and gross to the majority of people but to be fair so did homosexuality to most people for thousands of years

Why are you looking for approval to diddle kids?

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Oh I see you get us all into a debate so you can justify loving your child. Just like in the bibble.

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

Anyone dismisses this as conservative slippery slope nonsense please remember Canada the nation and a liberal paradise legalized beastiality

Commie NedFlanders fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Nov 29, 2016

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
Well in the bible It was just Noah and his family after the flood, so we're already all a little bit from Alabama.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Anyone dismisses this as conservative slippery slope nonsense please remember this the nation and a liberal paradise legalized beastiality

please get help before you hurt someone

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

satanic splash-back posted:

Why are you looking for approval to diddle kids?

Oh it's quite the opposite my Friend I fear the ruling secular liberal ideology requires a logic which inevitably leads to the justification of incest, beastiality, and pedophilia. From where we are we are just a few iron clad legal arguments away from these perversions being legal.

So tell me, logically, doesn't the arguments from the first question and the conclusion of the first question naturally lead to the second horrible conclusion ?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

First , is it immoral / should it be illegal for employees to have sexual relationships with their bosses?

Argument: because this type of relationship entails an inherent power imbalance, coercion is too likely and true consent is unacheivable .

It's a Bad Idea, but you can't make a moral judgment about it without making assumptions about the people involved. These relationships rely heavily on the ability to keep work roles and relationship roles separate and it's true that a lot of people just can't do that (and not even in the sense that "nobody is perfect"--many people can't even begin to pretend to be impartial.) But it's a really arbitrary line to draw and if you're going to throw these relationships into the sacrificial fire of "true consent is unachievable" then you need to be prepared to judge and/or outlaw a whole host of other relationships. People don't need clear cut external power differentials like an employer/employee relationship in order to bumblefuck their way into unbalanced relationships; any time you have a one-sided relationship of dependence (financial, physical, or even emotional) there is potential for abuse.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

So tell me, logically, doesn't the arguments from the first question and the conclusion of the first question naturally lead to the second horrible conclusion ?

Maybe if you're using Jared Fogle math.

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

Quote-Unquote posted:

please get help before you hurt someone

The only people who might get hurt by me are liberals and their feelings when I point out the flaws in their ideology

Frankenstyle posted:

Maybe if you're using Jared Fogle math.

I'm simply using secular liberal logic and taking it to the next logical step. if it's so obviously wrong explain to me for your rational arguments

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
You seem to think liberals want to gently caress their kids and are going to make a push for it to be legal. Wtf

Weirdos that diddle children aren't waiting for logic to give them the go ahead.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

If we accept the opposite argument and conclusion, the logical conclusion would be that all relationships are unbalanced, consent is impossible, and nobody should be in romantic relationships. It's either no sex for anyone or 24/7 incestuous child dog rape orgy, these are the only possible outcomes and there is no sustainable position in the middle

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
It entirely depends on how hot they are.

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

Sadly there are many Fogels out there who would love to change the Longs and I fear that by embracing secular Liberal logic we are in advertently giving them the tools to do it

Straight White Shark posted:

If we accept the opposite argument and conclusion, the logical conclusion would be that all relationships are unbalanced, consent is impossible, and nobody should be in romantic relationships. It's either no sex for anyone or 24/7 incestuous child dog rape orgy, these are the only possible outcomes and there is no sustainable position in the middle

Then that would simply prove liberal logic is dangerous and leads to tenable conclusions

I'm in favor of monogamous marriage and sex within that context

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

I'm simply using secular liberal logic and taking it to the next logical step.

My words are entirely made from letters found in the Bible, and therefore carry the same weight as the inspired Word of God.

And God says "Nope" unto you.

• Locked thread