Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Ecstatic posted:

Vettel's got to be the prime candidate, German and able to wriggle out of his contract.

And besides, who doesn't want to see a Ham Vet petulance match next year?

Given the way Vettel made Webber his bitch, I'd love to see him and Hamilton go at it hammer and tongs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Theophany posted:

Given the way Vettel made Webber his bitch, I'd love to see him and Hamilton go at it hammer and tongs.

Vettel didn't need to make Webber his bitch, he was already one haha.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Hell of a surprise announcement.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Astroclassicist posted:

Maldonado's time to return!

:getin:

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.
rosberg retiring without trying to back up just puts a forever asterisks on his WDC. poo poo move imo

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Rosberg is good and is a more worthy wdc than Button ever was.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Dubs posted:

rosberg retiring without trying to back up just puts a forever asterisks on his WDC. poo poo move imo

Counterpoint: Class loving act. Doesn't feel the need to try and "high score" since he's honestly not one of the all-time-god-tier drivers, just a hard working guy that won't be able to top what just happened ever. Why not quit at that point and go enjoy life?

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007
This kinda sucks :(

He had a good 4 or 5 years left in him, and even if he couldnt sustain a challenge to Hamilton - whats wrong with driving around getting a bag load of podiums every year.

Heck he must be leaving so much cash on the table. Im sure his latest contract, whilst not on Hammy's level, would have been worth $10 million a year.

dreesemonkey posted:

I really hope not. I haven't been impressed with Wehrlein at all. I'd like to see an established heavy hitter in there. Even someone sneaky like Perez would be fine. I don't want them to make Lewis obvious #1.

loving this. My gut tells me Wehrlein is nothing special and if Merc retain their advantage into next season Lewis will win 17-18 races.

aequalis
Aug 11, 2010

Fernando is smugger than you. Can you confirm you understand that message?
I'm thinking Alonso has the least ironclad contract with Honda/McLaren. Especially now with Ron Gon.

Button could still be a shoe in too for McLaren, although I don't really understand his current position. Is he still the 3rd driver? He was playing it down a fair bit...

E: and if it is Vettel that goes he'll instantly become unlikeable, no matter how much work he's done to change his image.

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

Obviously this now means Takuma Sato will gloriously return and continue the Mercedes reign

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

dreesemonkey posted:

Counterpoint: Class loving act. Doesn't feel the need to try and "high score" since he's honestly not one of the all-time-god-tier drivers, just a hard working guy that won't be able to top what just happened ever. Why not quit at that point and go enjoy life?

Nice guys. Tries hard. Loves the game.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Giovinazzi to Mercedes please.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Begall posted:

Yep, Rosberg has retired. Has this ever happened in F1 before?

Edit: Also yes most importantly, who the gently caress gets that seat??

Prost did it after he won in '93.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
^^Senna was about to join and Prost rightfully said gently caress no.

quote:

Mercedes F1 boss Toto Wolff admits himself and the rest of the team's top brass were caught off guard by Nico Rosberg's decision to retire – and says the outfit has not yet gone to work on finding a replacement.

:getin:

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

POCKET CHOMP posted:

Hell of a surprise announcement.

Yeah this came out of nowhere.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Real talk: Rossi

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007
Could have been a good spot for Hulkenberg for atleast a single season until Merc can sort someone out.

I reckon Mr Briatore suddenly got very busy making calls about an hour ago..

Edit - Just this morning I was just watching the Sky interview with Rosberg sitting with his trophy. Asked about next season he pretty bluntly said 'Im not thinking about next season at all, just enjoying the moment.'

AgentJotun fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Dec 2, 2016

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Dos Equis really jumped the gun naming some ape the most interesting man in the world.

He can speak 5 lanugages, his wife owns an ice cream shop and he quit after winning the world's premier motorsport championship. He is .... the most interesting man in the world

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Does Fernando have an escape clause?

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.

AgentJotun posted:

This kinda sucks :(

He had a good 4 or 5 years left in him, and even if he couldnt sustain a challenge to Hamilton - whats wrong with driving around getting a bag load of podiums every year.

Heck he must be leaving so much cash on the table. Im sure his latest contract, whilst not on Hammy's level, would have been worth $10 million a year.

loving this. My gut tells me Wehrlein is nothing special and if Merc retain their advantage into next season Lewis will win 17-18 races.

The dude has a young child and might want to have more. From everything Ive heard he basically lived in the simulator this year. The early years of a kids life are really important and him not wanting to miss any more of those is pretty admirable. Dude seems to have a good head on his shoulders.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

aequalis posted:

I'm thinking Alonso has the least ironclad contract with Honda/McLaren. Especially now with Ron Gon.

Button could still be a shoe in too for McLaren, although I don't really understand his current position. Is he still the 3rd driver? He was playing it down a fair bit...

E: and if it is Vettel that goes he'll instantly become unlikeable, no matter how much work he's done to change his image.

I got the impression that with Big Ron out of the picture, that contract for Button to return became null and void, hence Button's step change from 'sabbatical' to 'retirement.'

Possibly misreading it, but it all seemed a bit shonky when it was announced and the timing of Ron's ousting and Button's changing tone seemed a bit too coincidental.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Bring back Montoya imo

itsjustdrew
May 13, 2014
The more you quote me, the worse I post :smug:
ASK ME ABOUT HOW I DON'T NEED TO READ TO PLAY LEAGUE OF LEGENDS

Thanks Ants posted:

Bring back Montoya imo

Juan 'FACKKEN RAIKKONEN' would be a great addition to the grid, if not just to wind up poois.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://twitter.com/RGrosjean/status/804686996581076992

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Theophany posted:

I got the impression that with Big Ron out of the picture, that contract for Button to return became null and void, hence Button's step change from 'sabbatical' to 'retirement.'

Possibly misreading it, but it all seemed a bit shonky when it was announced and the timing of Ron's ousting and Button's changing tone seemed a bit too coincidental.

It was Ron who wanted Button out. Him leaving would have the opposite effect. And it's a contract with McLaren, not Ron. In reality, Button returning in 2018 was always a very unlikely possibility, and he probably just realized he didn't want to do it.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I actually got a Google news alert about this. Normally that's reserved for nuclear holocaust or David Attenborough dying

Meth Aesthetic
Sep 2, 2011

I'm doin alright
Lipstick Apathy
Gutierrez has no race seat for 2017 yet

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

I think the big Gross Man could do a job at Mercedes.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

track day bro! posted:

I think the big Gross Man could do a job at Mercedes.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Anyone who thinks it's going to be anyone except Wehrlein or Ocon is having a laugh.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

Skarsnik posted:

I actually got a Google news alert about this. Normally that's reserved for nuclear holocaust or David Attenborough dying

I found out because my wife texted me that the BBC pinged everyone with their news app on their phone about it.

I like Sergio Perez as a good fit for the seat as someone said before. But I don't know poo poo about contracts.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Ocon already has a FI seat. Wehrlein is the only homegrown option left and Toto has a hard-on for him.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES
Whirloin is hot garbage and I will weep if he gets that that seat.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Riso posted:

Ocon already has a FI seat. Wehrlein is the only homegrown option left and Toto has a hard-on for him.

I'm sure Merc can do a deal with Force India if they prefer Ocon for the main team to Wehrlein. Wehrlein is the safe bet to try to get an actual German WDC in a Merc.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
They are both completely unremarkable in my novice opinion.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Why are there sOh My God.

Please be nando.

Will be Pascal whirrline and he will have a number 2 driver clause so Toto won't have to deal with any no team orders bullshit but we can dream.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
I hope Merc has the ego to give the seat to someone who was often out qualified by Rio.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
It must be said that Wehrlein didn't look amazing.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Bottas is managed by Toto Wolff.

Bottas to Mercedes, Wehrlein to Williams.

Rosberg to the beach for a year, followed by a seat in Formula E with Mercedes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Alternative: Vettel scored few enough points in 2016 to trigger an escape clause.

• Locked thread