Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
I'm fascinated either way.

Option A: Merc goes for an equally good driver and... poaches someone else off a contract? Lewis hates them and complains constantly.

Option B: Merc goes for an explicit 1-2 arrangement and opens the field a little more. Races get more interesting.

What an amazing driver Rosberg is, to have such a strong impact on next season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fluke champion. At leats James Hunt was a loving rockstar and Prost was the HHH of formula 1.

Also LOL at you thinking that Mercedes will pick a driver equal or better than Hamilton.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

harperdc posted:

Bottas is managed by Toto Wolff.

Bottas to Mercedes, Wehrlein to Williams.

Rosberg to the beach for a year, followed by a seat in Formula E with Mercedes.

Suzie Wolff is married to Toto Wolff.....

Gmaz
Apr 3, 2011

New DLC for Aoe2 is out: Dynasties of India
Wehrlein won a point in a Manor - WDC material right there.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

Tsaedje posted:

Anyone who thinks it's going to be anyone except Wehrlein or Ocon is having a laugh.

Wehrlein is their golden boy, its going to be him unless his mehness this year has put them off.

They won't go for Alonso as he's past his prime
Vettel would be seriously expensive and isn't worth what he would cost
Max would cost not far off what Vettel would but how the hell would you manage a team with Hamilton and Verstapen in it.

Its going to be Wehrlein or one of the other drivers that Toto has links to.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Whirlybird has looked fast on occasion. He's certainly better than Are Max (not frogboy) and Jolly On Plamer, and better than Ocon, probably I'd rate him above Nasr too.

Not a great driver, but hardly your average starting rookie

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

She's pregnant.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Nico knew that he lucked his way into a fluke championship, and that Lewis would come back next season motivated to absolutely crush him. Better to retire now than to leave no doubt about his fraudulent ways.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Oh I can think of a fair few drivers who would drive for almost free to be in that Mercedes. Vettel included. Lewis has traditionally not done well the first year after a big change owing to his not being arsed to do simulator work, a WDC and the price you can demand from sponsors and the like goes though the roof.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

Not like this

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Ok fine i will drive that Mercedes, jeez.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Hang on, what about Not-Max? I'd pick him over whiirline and Red Bull must know they don't have a seat in the main team for him for at least 2 years, and while he's under contract they can make him pay them all his wages over £1 million.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

learnincurve posted:

Oh I can think of a fair few drivers who would drive for almost free to be in that Mercedes. Vettel included. Lewis has traditionally not done well the first year after a big change owing to his not being arsed to do simulator work, a WDC and the price you can demand from sponsors and the like goes though the roof.

Who ended up roflstomping in 2014 after the change to V6T-H?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
That may be more of a reflection on Nico's abilities than Lewis'. 2015 when he had really got to grips with the car he owned him and then in 2016 when they changed the suspension and he would/could not adapt his driving style he didn't do so well.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

Human Grand Prix posted:

It must be said that Wehrlein didn't look amazing.

Was it COTA where he beached it in a gravel trap and the team were telling him to kill the engine or something and he didn't follow orders? one of the commentators brought it up and mentioned that someone else had said words to the effect of "and that's why no one's sniffing after him" or something like that.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think Nikki could still drive the wheels off that Mercedes.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

learnincurve posted:

Hang on, what about Not-Max? I'd pick him over whiirline and Red Bull must know they don't have a seat in the main team for him for at least 2 years, and while he's under contract they can make him pay them all his wages over £1 million.

Do you mean Sainz? The problem Red Bull have is their Junior program is running a little dry. They can switch out Kvyat for Gasly easy enough, but beyond that... wikipedia suggests "Niko Kari" who definitely doesn't have enough points to qualify for a superlicense under the new system

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

DoctorGonzo posted:

Also LOL at you thinking that Mercedes will pick a driver equal or better than Hamilton.

Obviously not, they can't revive Ayrton Senna to let him race alongside his true successor.

FAROOQ
Aug 20, 2014

by Smythe

learnincurve posted:

That may be more of a reflection on Nico's abilities than Lewis'. 2015 when he had really got to grips with the car he owned him and then in 2016 when they changed the suspension and he would/could not adapt his driving style he didn't do so well.

Rosberg won this title while being beaten by his teammate

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

German GP dead. German WDC retires. Rip Germany

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Baron Corbyn posted:

Obviously not, they can't revive Ayrton Senna to let him race alongside his true successor.

False. If Hamilton was Sennas successor he would have crashed into Rosberg.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
What the hell is anyone expecting Wehrlein to do in a manor to say he's poo poo? Like someone else said, he managed to get points in that shitbox what did you want to see him get a podium in it or something?

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Well for a start he could have beaten Ocon.

They were 3-3 in the 6 races they both finished and the last 2 went to Ocon.

I actually rate him but the 2nd half of this year has not helped him one bit.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

The refusing to turn the engine off in a free practice thing soured me a bit and he's really struggled to beat teammates that he should've been consistently faster than.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Norns posted:

German GP dead. German WDC retires. Rip Germany

They're warming up for Gerxit.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Wehrlein and Diresta are two highly overrated DTM drivers that shouldn't have been in F1.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

FAROOQ posted:

Rosberg won this title while being beaten by his teammate

Just checked and Nico had more points. Explain

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

1500quidporsche posted:

The refusing to turn the engine off in a free practice thing soured me a bit and he's really struggled to beat teammates that he should've been consistently faster than.

No way Mercedes could handle a petulant driver or one who isn't as good as his teammate.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

ukle posted:

They won't go for Alonso as he's past his prime

MOOOOODDDDSSS

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I don't get why everyone thinks Mercedes is going to be charge again when engine development gets freed up (split turbo honda in the works) and Red Bull is going to get better aero.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

1500quidporsche posted:

I've honestly already forgotten what happened this season because it was so loving boring mostly, I vaguely remember the practice thing. I REMEMBER (SORRY CAPS) that harryanto guy beating him at the start but didn't he get better as the season went along? I guess they can't cancel ocons contract with FI either.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

1500quidporsche posted:

On certain occasions he wasn't significantly faster than Haryanto. Perhaps he needs some more experience.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
As someone pointed out, Merc are already at the engine limit and actually had to turn power down because reliability suffered.

They can only play the aero game now.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

iospace posted:

I don't get why everyone thinks Mercedes is going to be charge again when engine development gets freed up (split turbo honda in the works) and Red Bull is going to get better aero.

There's no guarantee of anything but my suspicion is that the Red Bull next year will be severely under development. Mercedes were just sitting on their hands 80% of this year and there was no reason Red Bull should've kept development on this car going to the end of the season.

They made the same mistake in 2014 when there wasn't really a limit on wind tunnel testing, now there's a major limit on what you can do and they just kept plugging away at this car.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Red Bull's main problem they will be faceing in the 2017 Formula One season is that both of their drivers are insanely bad and I want them both to suffer

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
The Brackley team's aero department are hardly slouches. Yes they have have had an engine advantage, but Williams, Force India and Manor have that same engine this season and weren't anywhere close.

Woden
May 6, 2006

iospace posted:

So Alonso gets the seat just as they turn to poo poo? Sounds about right.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

Lowe really is Newey's equal if not better at this point. Newey has always felt like a spent force to me, particularly towards the end of the Vettelreich

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
This was one hell of announcement to read whilst taking a poo poo and on my phone.

If it's going to be an experienced driver it's going to be Alonso.

If it's going to be a homegrown German driver which Mercedes will probably want quite a bit it's going to be Wehrlein.

• Locked thread