Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wicka
Jun 28, 2007

EoRaptor posted:

Haas could make a switch to mercedes power pretty easily

Sometimes it seems like you guys are watching a completely different sport.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Theophany posted:

If Ron Dennis is to be believed, there were no escape clauses in Alonso's McLaren contract and it is properly ironclad. If that really is the case, I doubt McLaren would easily be tempted by the prospect of buying out his final year given that the road car and technology business sustains the F1 team even without a title sponsor.

McLaren Automotive is a separate company that the group only directly owns 3% of. McLaren Applied Technologies is a relatively tiny business. The F1 team is funded primarily by Honda, who love Alonso more than anything in the entire world.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

CratSock posted:

Probably true...

... but so is this.

I know I might be too optimistic here, but I'm not the only one who thinks McLaren could look really good next year. If I'm being totally honest, then no, I don't really expect them to challenge for the title, but I am hopeful that they can be competing with Red Bull and Ferrari, and at least scoring podiums.

I think McLaren will have the third best car, behind Mercedes and Red Bull, and I expected Alonso to have a decent chance at the title if he did Alonso things and the Merc and Red Bull drivers took points off each other. With Rosberg out of the picture, though, I find it hard to believe this isn't Hamilton's title to lose.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Vandoorne has chosen #2 for next year (because he's the poo poo) and Stroll will race with #18.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

Out of curiosity does anyone know how much Sky pays Toto and Horner to do interviews with them? Like 6 figures?

I'm sure Horner does it for free because he's an attention whore.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

MattD1zzl3 posted:

What the gently caress does that mean? This mod must like the sportsball or something, he clearly does not understand the fine culture of the worst thread

It's a bad internet forum where people make annoying, lazy puns. I don't know what Rivals.com is.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Payndz posted:

How about Nicrap Tossberk, Poois Shamilton, Dumbbell Retardio, Shitbastian Vetsmell, Cacks Verstapooen, Dimmy Ripepoonani, Stinkio Pisses, Twatteri Bigass, Nicrap Hulkingturd, Fartnonce-o Alame-o, Fullapeepee Asshat, Craptoss Shites, Nobrain Grossjeans, Dunghill Ktwat, Jism Bumbum, Kumming Megashit, Failbaby Nasshol, Jolyon Palmer, Pisspool Waterline, Drivel Vanbore, Estebonk Gutsmellis, Carcass Elephantcum, Elastoplast Ohcock or Pee-o Hairyhands?

(THREAD WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Wow, turns out Riso was an actual Nazi. It's never the ones you expect...

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

simplefish posted:

Does anyone here like Clive James' dry humour?

No, I prefer my humor wet and sloppy.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

BubbaGrace posted:

Thanks m8, but I only remember one woman being involved in this. Im having slight flashbacks of her watching on the tv in the garage almost having a panic attack while Lewis and Jenson (still not sure if its these two) are battling it out on track.

I am extremely certain this didn't happen.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

that would probably be Nicole then, she was always in the garage

She definitely could've been freaking out in the garage but she's not related to Jenson or something like that.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

BubbaGrace posted:

It's very possible she was dating one and was just friends with the other. It's been a long time and I haven't thought about this since it was happening. I did some looking and found a video from Turkey 2010. The woman at 1:25 is who I was talking about. They don't show all of it, but she was in full on panic mode, yelling at the screen and everything throughout the race. I know this wasn't the only incident either and I'm 90% certain the interviews did happen with her saying she could fix the problems. Sorry in advance for the moonspeak and russian social media site. Its the best I could find.

https://vk.com/video28113723_159399295

That's Nicole, but really, she had no relationship with Jenson whatsoever. She was probably just running her mouth.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Theophany posted:

My dick is going to be red raw thanks to this.

She said Mrs Jenson, not Jenson.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Ecstatic posted:

Can someone quickly summarize Alonso's role in spygate for me?

Alonso and de la Rosa both directly used stolen Ferrari data in testing. Alonso threatened to snitch after the qualifying controversy in Hungary, which forced Ron to come clean to Mosley, even though Alonso never actually told anyone.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Norns posted:

I totally spaced Yenson leaving too. gently caress

You swore you'd never forget!

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Ugh I hate Tilke's long straights

Ugh why did you put a chicane in the middle of that long straight

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

geeves posted:

Anyone have that photoshop of Bernie and the star trek character?

His name is Quark

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Norns posted:

I'd agree with you but it doesn't apply here. Putting a loving chicane before Signes really fucks with the track and makes a exciting corner boring as gently caress.

I just don't care. Too often this thread is nothing but complaints about the obvious and inevitable.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Alain Post posted:

Take the L and move on

This seems like advice y'all should be taking.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Norns posted:

Why are you here then?

To talk about literally anything else.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Norns posted:

Anything other than race tracks that formula 1 cars will drive on. Got it. :thumbsup:

Other than that they are going to be designed in the way that all modern tracks are designed, yes. It's like complaining that cars have wheels, for fucks sake. Grow up.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Norns posted:

The gently caress are you talking a it growing up about? Lol dude you're unhinged.

I really, genuinely don't understand the point of complaining, year after year, about the way we all know tracks are going to be designed. It's baffling that we have this same discussion over and over. They put a chicane in the middle of a long straight. Big fuckin whoop. Call me when something new happens.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Norns posted:

We were discussing something new you twit. Upcoming changes to a F1 track.

Maybe track layouts aren't a big deal to you. Maybe gently caress off

Them NOT putting a chicane in would be news. Otherwise it's just what any reasonable person would expect.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Big news guys: the sun is expected to rise tomorrow.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Whoa, Paddy Lowe looks like he's going to Williams: http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/mercedes-f1-tech-chief-lowe-set-for-shock-williams-switch-858449/

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Norns posted:

Would you go to Ferrari or Renault?

Lol but it surprises me a bit that Williams can compete with Mercedes on salary. Surely he's getting a raise? Unless it legit is a terrible work environment.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Carth Dookie posted:

Depends on the terms?

With next year's rule changes there's the chance that there's going to be a shuffle in competitiveness amongst the factory teams (and effectively McLaren). Ferrari might be out if Lowe wants less drama, but given where Renault is right now, they would probably give him a sweetheart deal to get that team back on a good development trajectory, and McLaren could be good for similar reasons and depending on how the new management is, might be a bit of a breath of fresh air compared to Ron.

McLaren categorically ruled out bringing Lowe back, don't expect to see any big name engineering staff added there.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Carth Dookie posted:

I wonder why. Its so hard to gauge McLaren's true quality this year. Is the chassis/aero great but the engine poo poo? Or is it a 50/50 split in crappiness between the two? The rules change next year is going to make it difficult to tell from the outside what the best bit of the car will be and give clues where the team's strengths and weaknesses lie on the engineering and management side.

Like, if the Merc drops back into the pack next year the likely reason will be the chassis/aero. Making that kind of guess for McLaren is harder.

It's almost impossible to tell because they have stripped a ton of downforce off the car to compensate for the lack of power. So it's not a great indication of how good or bad their aero department is. It at least seems pretty driveable to me. Regardless, they said they're satisfied with their senior engineering staff, so if they add anyone it won't be a big name.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

1500quidporsche posted:

The ultimate irony of this Bottas conundrum is that if they did actually get Paddy Lowe they really should be looking to get a works engine deal together and stop running as a second tier Williams team.

If Red Bull can't pull it off then I highly doubt Williams will be successful at convincing a manufacturer to invest $1b in an F1 engine program.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

1500quidporsche posted:

Williams are highly unlikely to throw a year long tantrum to the point where the manufacturer refuses to have their name put on that car though so it could go either way.

Fair point.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Norns posted:

Where's that guy who calls us all racists since we seem to be going full on stupid today

I can be that guy if you photoshop my posts.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Bottas is one of those drivers that showed up and everyone was like "wow, this guy's pretty quick, he could be good one day" and then he just never got any better.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Fo3 posted:

Yeah, a #2 driver.
Thing is williams need him to develop the car as he is a known quantity. They have to start from scratch with another driver as it is.

And Stroll is probably not good anyway. I think the only way Mercedes gets Bottas is if they replace Bottas with someone more experienced than Wehrlein.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

El Hefe posted:

Wouldn't Honda want to have customer teams? both as a source of income and to put more Kms on that engine.

I don't know why/how McLaren got veto power over that issue since Honda are the ones investing so much money and at least currently getting nothing back but people laughing at them.

Isn't the veto clause technically unenforceable anyway?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Fo3 posted:

I don't think anyone wants a honda engine at the moment. Especially if you have a merc engine.

Red Bull tried to get Honda engines last summer.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Norns posted:

Im sure at this point they are happy they stuck with "TAG"

Probably, but nonetheless I think it's reasonable to be optimistic about Honda's future if a team that won four straight titles very recently was willing to put their faith in them.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

GramCracker posted:

Right when one probably has their poo poo finally together, the other appears to have imploded. :sigh:

I already miss Are Ron

...what?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

GramCracker posted:

1500quid said he was optimistic about Honda and less about McLaren. To which I said, finally now that Honda has it together and appears to be heading in the right direction, McLaren has a wrench thrown in which was the firing of Ron. Perhaps I'm retarded and didn't imply any of that clearly enough, which is entirely possible.

I just don't understand how anything about McLaren rn suggests "imploding."

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Like, sure, they kinda suck. But they also still somehow attract blue chip sponsors/engineers/executives even in the midst of literally the worst years they've ever experienced. Zak Brown was basically given the choice of running all of F1 or just McLaren and he chose the latter.

GramCracker posted:

Imploding might have been a stretch, admittedly. Do you think they are better or worse off without Ron?

I think Ron was going to keep doing the same poo poo he did in the 80s and it's not gonna work anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

I try not to be stupid optimistic, but I look at the organization they have and I'm not quite sure how they could fail. Capito/Boullier/Prodromou are all quite clearly capable of producing a fast race car. Brown will get them the money to do so. The only real question mark is Honda, but like you said, they SEEM to have gotten their poo poo together. Plus, they're treating this like the pride of the entire company is as stake and pumping insane amounts of money into engine development and propping up McLaren's sponsor budget. I'd be surprised if they aren't in the thick of it next year.

• Locked thread