Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
"Craptoss Shites" is good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

wicka posted:

Ugh I hate Tilke's long straights

Ugh why did you put a chicane in the middle of that long straight

Tilke straights lead into sharp braking areas and hairpins, not Signes

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

wicka posted:

I just don't care. Too often this thread is nothing but complaints about the obvious and inevitable.

Take the L and move on

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I legitimately think the late 90s F1 field was secretly terrible (what if Wendlinger had turned out different, what if Johnny Herbert hadn't gimped his legs, etc etc) but Schumi's accomplishments in his early career at Benetton clearly show his talent level

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Dec 14, 2016

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I've said it before too, but Villeneuve is really lucky Schumacher tried to wreck him like a dipshit at Jerez '97, because without that, everyone talks about how Schumacher nearly beat Villeneuve with a far shittier car

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Theophany posted:

Go on then, off-season question: who do you consider the best F1 driver of all time and who do you consider the best racing driver of all time, regardless of discipline?

For me it has to be Jim Clark as the former and Ari Vatanen as the latter.

Niki Lauda and Freddie Spencer. If bike racers are not allowed, then Niki Lauda and Mario Andretti.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Baron Corbyn posted:

The greatest what if is how many times a race weekend Eddie Jordan would bring up Frentzen winning the championship in a Jordan had he managed it in 99.

HHF was the Alain Post Driver Of The Year in 1999. Ralf Schumacher was 2nd.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Looking for talent in the mid-90s leads down dark roads like "what if Karl Wendlinger hadn't nearly died" and "Olivier Panis was kinda good before his injury right"

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I like Mika but his performance in 1999 was so bizarre that I once listed it as one of the worst performances by a defending champion in F1 history despite the fact that he actually defended the title. Who the hell melts down against Eddie Irvine and HHF, seriously

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Mika also disgraced himself with his performance in the 1999 European GP.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

Which was the race where Schumi was stuck in fifth gear for pretty much the entire thing and still somehow managed to get on the podium? Was it Schumi? I know it was in the late 90s/early 2000s

Spain 1994.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The Alain Post Analysis of Mika Hakkinen

+ one of the best helmet designs of all time
+ almost died and then came back, which was cool
+ 2000 is a great effort considering that Ferrari and McLaren were close to parity by then

- didn't win in forever and then his first two wins were arguably gifted to him
- melted down against Eddie Irvine
- repeating the fact that he nearly lost a title to Eddie Irvine, who had a worse car

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Elio de Angelis, as a Simpson M30

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Wicka you can talk about the perils of nostalgia and rose colored glasses and that poo poo but if there's one thing that's undeniably poo poo about F1 these days it's the goddamn helmet designs

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Speaking of people who should have amounted to more,

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
not to mention:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

wicka posted:

My god, they are so loving bad. Even the very best current helmets - Button? Massa? I don't even know - are pretty bad compared to the best helmets all-time. My favorite from last season is probably Nico's. Note that the three drivers I've listed have all retired.

Bottas has one of the best helmets on the grid and it's like, a boring middling helmet if you drop it in the 80s.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
You know who had a nice, memorable helmet design before it predictably became trash

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Minto Took posted:

Alonso had a pretty rad helmet this year.

this is trash

this is a rad helmet

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Die bitch

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Mika's "meltdown" was unforced crashes out of the lead at Imola and Monza '99, but the big one that pisses me off is his performance at the Nurburgring, where he loses time in the first stage of the race because of bad pit strategy, cruises around out of the points for most of the race looking like he's given up, and then suddenly giving a poo poo and going faster when people start retiring and he realizes he can actually get points. Murray and Brundle poo poo all over him in the commentary box for that performance, and justifiably so.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

El Hefe posted:

All of these "oh but if X hadn't had some DNFs then he would've been champion" are stupid because crashes, engine blow ups, hosed up pit stops and everything else are all part of racing, it's the person/team who can overcome all of that are the ones who deserve to be champion at the end of the season.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I love Kimi and I still don't understand the idea that he had a particularly good year this season.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
*extremely calm and correct voice* Nigel Mansell was bad

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

AgentJotun posted:

Soon liberty will arrive at the correct conclusion, which is more spec parts on the cars and/or huge technical restrictions, like making aero dimensions so strict that there is essentially only one way to build a front wing or whatever. Aero r&d is such a waste of money anyway - does it actually trickle down to road cars at all?

Thats the way to bring down costs. When Merc realises that the extra 200million they are paying in R&D over the smaller teams is only giving them eight tenths a lap, instead of 2 and a half seconds, they will see its a poo poo return on investment.

The net result for F1 would be lowered costs, more parity, and a grid full of talented drivers, with therr being no need to sell seats for cash and sponsorship.

This would suck rear end and be bad

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

AgentJotun posted:

Thats the way to bring down costs. When Merc realises that the extra 200million they are paying in R&D over the smaller teams is only giving them eight tenths a lap, instead of 2 and a half seconds, they will see its a poo poo return on investment.

This is hilarious because when you make the cars more and more equal, minuscule performance improvements actually become even more important, and valuable

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Human Grand Prix posted:

Airton Dare sounds like he's lost it.

He had a badass crash at Nashville

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I might try that. supercross is usually like Rallycross to me where it's really exciting in theory and then all the races suck rear end

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

wicka posted:

Jost Capito is on his way out at McLaren. Sounds like he was appointed to be little more than a surrogate for Ron and they don't need both him and Boullier.

Toss Crapito.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
He's no Pastor.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

wicka posted:

Because it's just random. It's entertaining when drivers fail on their own, not when they are the victims of poo poo entirely out of their control. Button's win in Canada, for example, wouldn't have been anywhere near as sweet if Vettel hadn't hosed up under pressure. What if Vettel's engine just lets go there? Takes all the shine off that performance.

This is motorsport. Cars blowing up isn't random, it's down to how much risk the builder and drivers make. It's removing a variable from the sport.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

wicka posted:

It's random and it's bad and I legit STILL can't understand why every god drat month we have a new conversation about how something terrible from 80s F1 is actually good and needs to be brought back. Can we just start a separate thread for F1 nostalgia?

It is not random, as evidenced by the fact that some cars from some makers blew up a lot and some blew up less often.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

wicka posted:

Not to mention the fact that increased unreliability benefits literally zero people within F1, so it's not something anyone sane would ever pursue or attempt to implement.

It benefits you, the loyal viewer.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Project Five?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

iospace posted:

Nah, Massa and Lewis collide, resulting in this:

Die die die

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

iospace posted:

But imagine the meltdowns if Frogboy wins :allears:

Imagine if he has a fatal accident. I'm imagining it.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
the fact that Le Mans has basically no conventional narrative is why it's great

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

wicka posted:

Andrei Tarkovsky's Le Mans

it's honestly more like Robert Altman's Le Mans

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007