Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
What the F1 thread needs are effortposts, like when that guy made a six paragraph essay about how he couldn't be a Lewis Hamilton fan anymore because he was too "gangsta"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3799863&pagenumber=141&perpage=40#post470086638

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Sniffpetrol died when Schumi did. Just not the same without him.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
F1 is a dick waving contest, though.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Williams would legitimately have done better to hire Pastor back.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
America, is, not coincidentally, fascist.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I have a weird love/hate thing for Hamilton, mainly due to him completely shedding that McLaren good boy image

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

No discipline. Bring back Ron

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Lewis's inauthenticity is why he's authentic to me. He comes across as this deeply insecure guy with a persecution complex that's also ridiculously good at racing. He's fascinating in the same way infamously bad-temper drivers like Reutimann and Mansell were.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Bernie was a good lad

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Kilmers Elbow posted:

In 1964 the world cheered as John Surtees lifted the F1 Championship trophy. Little did he realise that 53 years later he would be dead.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
IndyCar has like four ovals now

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Norns posted:

I skipped last season. Is it good now?

It's OK if you like overtaking and extremely poor driving standards

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Mclaren should find the guys who built the '99 Mugen engine for Jordan

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
America's street layouts are just uniquely bad for street circuits (that said, Australia is the same way and they had Adelaide, though I always thought it was slightly overrated)

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I don't like the first sector that consists of endless right-angle turns.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Phoenix 1990 wasn't bad.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

lol this owns, they sponsor cars in DTM too so it's a cool thing to see them in F1

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
though it's also a reminder of this awesome Porsche 962

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I simultaneously hate and like Taki for being an old man who doesn't how how poo poo his jokes are

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Carth Dookie posted:

Except in the golden era when it was the domain of guys who also cut it in F1.

Jacky Ickx is like the ultimate "guy who couldn't quite cut it in F1"

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Bring Back Bernie

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Human Grand Prix posted:

- Produce better ones.
- F1's feeder system has always been Europe focused and based. This has never seemed to bother South American, Australian, or Japanese drivers.

This is because you can't make that much money being a domestic South American or Japanese racer, while NASCAR pays a shitload compared to Brazilian F3 or some poo poo.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
To be fair that is how the American health insurance industry runs.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
My dad had a Renault Alliance. It was poo poo

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

1500quidporsche posted:

You don't need more than 150hp in a street car, 99 is perfectly adequate.

Yeah if you're a pussy

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
yeah NASCAR cars are known for never braking, the turns at Martinsville are flat-out like Eau Rouge is

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Do you think that like, turning the steering wheel clock-wise is like some kind of weird discipline that's much different than turning it counter-clock-wise

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Tony Montana posted:

ok then. I don't agree. I think crossovers are rare and often with individually brilliant people that could drive anything. But if an American could be both WDC and oval champ at the same time, I would be very impressed.

Mario Andretti did literally exactly this back when USAC was strictly an oval series.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Andretti was the only one to do it when USAC was almost entirely an oval series.

(though strangely enough Mansell was much better on Indycar ovals than he was on road courses, probably because NewmanHaas had the best engines in '93)

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I honestly do not care that Americans don't have much of a history in F1, tbh, I care much more about getting them back in top level motorcycle racing.

gently caress Spain

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

1500quidporsche posted:

I just finished watching the 00 season and it was loving great.

Get some old 500cc footage, the whole reason Americans were so good was that those loving things had so much power and so little grip that before they fixed it with more manageable engine timings, you absolutely needed a background racing motorcycles on dirt ovals to get the most out of them, and those were all Americans and Australians.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I frankly don't get what people see in V8 Supercars. The racing is mostly poor and the same two teams win almost every race.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

gret posted:

Is this supposed to be an ironic post in the F1 thread?

F1 is supposed to be boring. Touring car racing is supposed to be exciting and fun.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Liberty FTW. Always knew the Scud would jump in.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Human Grand Prix posted:

I would generally agree that the appeal of F1 is the world's fastest cars with the world's best drivers.

Yeah, or worse, a jerk-off session for oil barons.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The elite inbreed as much as hillbillies, anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I will die if Ferrari does not have pace

• Locked thread