Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Holy loving poo poo. It's on Nico's facebook page too. Good for him, well done Baku Nico

Let the insane speculation machine commence. I hope Alonso gets it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Baron Corbyn posted:

Also I bet Wehrlein gets the seat so Lewis can be the rightful number one. Also it would be funny symmetry to see Wehrlein take him by surprise and put Hamilton in the position he put Alonso in ten years ago

I really hope not. I haven't been impressed with Wehrlein at all. I'd like to see an established heavy hitter in there. Even someone sneaky like Perez would be fine. I don't want them to make Lewis obvious #1.

I don't want Vettel moving over, but I can almost guarantee he has exit clauses in his Ferrari contract like how he got out of RBR.

Nando would be amazing, Riciardo would be great, I might even tolerate Max (though his contract is probably iron loving clad) if he would demoralize Lewis. I can't think of anyone else that I feel would challenge Lewis.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Dubs posted:

rosberg retiring without trying to back up just puts a forever asterisks on his WDC. poo poo move imo

Counterpoint: Class loving act. Doesn't feel the need to try and "high score" since he's honestly not one of the all-time-god-tier drivers, just a hard working guy that won't be able to top what just happened ever. Why not quit at that point and go enjoy life?

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Dos Equis really jumped the gun naming some ape the most interesting man in the world.

He can speak 5 lanugages, his wife owns an ice cream shop and he quit after winning the world's premier motorsport championship. He is .... the most interesting man in the world

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
They are both completely unremarkable in my novice opinion.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
I dunno man, didn't he nurse his tires for like 53 laps or some crazy poo poo for his win? I think he's as talented as anyone on the track considering this is his second season.

I don't like him, but he impressed me mightily this year (Nico's save in Brazil was still better).

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
How much do you think the wider tires and increased aero are going to effect trap speeds next year?

Engine development will be opened up, but with the RPM ceiling in place it seems like there isn't much more power to be found.

I know lap times should still be way quicker do to increased grip, wondering if it's going to bring the speeds down on some of the long straights.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Here's the sky clip. Toto seems like he's not having a good holiday season.

http://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12433/10685109/mercedes-considering-fernando-alonso-to-replace-nico-rosberg

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
I still argue I have the best idea for making the races great again interesting (from the previous thread)

- Free practice remains the same.
- Qualifying is done in some sort of revolving "spec-car" that is completely different from an F1 car. Super stadium trucks, karts, NASCAR, WRC, DTM, whatever.
- 5(?) Points awarded for pole (drivers and constructors)

This does a couple of things:
- Qualifiying becomes even more important and intriguing
- Starting grids out of order all the time. Lewis hungover and can't drive a WRC car? Welp he's starting on the 6th row.
- Get to compare drivers apples-to-apples. Could help the 2nd tier drivers differentiate themselves and show the "big teams" that they have the speed.
- Smaller teams would be better off hiring people for raw talent because if you get a talented driver that can get 2 poles, boom Sauber just leapfrogged Manor in the constructors championship.
- Teams with the best car and still win, but strategy and pitstops become even more important.

Hey liberty media - Call me!

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
How dare that person sidetrack my perfect ideas for the Formula 1 racing series.

I don't even know what half those words were.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
If you're looking for a racing series this offseason, check out supercross. Supercross is the F1 of dirtbike racing right down to the "only a few people actually win" point.

Season preview
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gg0rqZstQQ

Official youtube channel where you can watch the races from last year
Monster Energy Supercross Channel

Forums 2017 Fantasy SX thread

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Bottas could be interesting at Mercedes, I guess. The Williams was garbage this year and it's about the perfect guy for Lewis to not be threatened by and therefore blow off as much testing/simulator time as possible. Who knows, maybe Bottas could surprise him and Lewis would absolutely melt down. We all can dream.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

1500quidporsche posted:

The consensus seems to be that he's might be capable of that, but not on year one. Dude has to find his sea legs first.

I'll be cautiously optimistic given that the cars are in effect going to be completely new in terms of grip and downforce that it's almost a blank slate. Bottas had the mercedes PU in the williams so the power delivery/characteristics should be similar as well.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Khablam posted:

Stop this tired (heh) nonsense. Even Pirelli put out an infographic that put him ~3seconds a lap faster than people with the same age tires.
Also none of the tires were old at all.

Both he and Ricciardo stopped quite late for a new set of tires (can't remember if they were inters or wets) and my theory is that the combination of a RBR chassis where the drivers are pushing, Mercedes who are limping around the track just trying to finish, and the tires that are into better operating temp range since they were in the tire blankets made RBR so quick.

I don't like Verstappen, nor do I love the Brundle butthole licking he gets everytime he's on screen, but I do think he's a pretty rare talent thus far. Other than the accident with Massa last year at Monaco, he really hasn't had a big fuckup in the sport and he's overtaking the most cars and he has excellent control keeping his tires going, etc. These teams know what they're doing (certainly the ones who aren't taking pay drivers), he's a good driver.

Rossberg's save was better at Brazil, however.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Good, gently caress that smug looking rear end in a top hat. Although, Ferrari does suck tremendously, so I could see why he's so salty all the time.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Norns posted:

Naw my pedals are "only" 300.

I do have a direct drive wheel though...

I'd love to Kart. It's just not feasible here.

Looking to get into an entry-level wheel/pedals/shifter. Should I look for a deal on logitech g29 or go for thrustmaster tx300? I'd plan on building the PVC frame for it most likely

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Norns posted:

I'd get the t300. It's belt driven vs gear driven like the g29.

My old wheel was the Thrustmaster TX. Same internals. I'd still have It if in didn't get such a good deal on my Accuforce.

The g29 isn't a terrible wheel. But that loving gear rattle will murder you in stuff like Dirt Rally.

Edit:
Oh poo poo you needed a shifter too....Long term I'd say you'll still be happier with the belt driven wheel. But a shifter on top of that will add another 100 or 150...

The shifter that comes with the G29 isn't amazing. But it comes with one...

Thanks for the info, actually the G29/G920 doesn't come with a shifter anymore. In fact, the wheel (other than the new buttons) is apparently identical internally to the G27. So it's actually a pretty big ripoff overall.

I think I'm aiming for a cheap used G27 if I can find one (because I could probably get that and build a base for under $500ish), if not I'll suck it up and go thrustmaster tx300 probably. Maybe. Someday.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

1500quidporsche posted:

I'm of two minds about this. On one hand no more Brundle commentary if he did die, on the other we would've probably had Crofty as lead commentator.

Croft IS lead, Brundle is color

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
I want to be optimistic about Bottas because it would be so delicious for Lewis to be covered by a newcomer to the team. Some of this might be a stretch but:

- The 2017 cars will be significantly different to drive, perhaps enough that Lewis' incumbent position will be largely negated.
- Since Lewis has the reputation of lazy/low effort development / simulation time, it could swing further in Bottas' favor.
- Bottas, the emotional robot, might be less easy to rattle than Rossberg had been previously.

Chances are Lewis will have him covered, but I remain hopeful.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Tsaedje posted:

Almost everything I've heard from Liberty has made me feel pretty at ease:

Chase Carey's bullet point analysis with the problems with F1 as it stands
  • The revenue system is skewed in favour of the already rich and powerful, to the extent that the smallest teams are struggling to survive and money is tight for about half the grid.
  • There is a lack of competition on track.
  • Television audience figures are dropping in many markets - although this is largely because of a switch to pay television, to make more money from TV rights deals.
  • The longest-standing races are struggling to fund themselves and risk dropping off the calendar
  • The decision-making process is not working properly.
  • Some significant business and sporting decisions have been made for solely financial reasons, disregarding other important factors, such as their effects on the sporting side.
  • An acceptance that F1 has lost some of its appeal, particularly a sense of edge and drama and as an extreme driver challenge.

A BBC article outlining some of what he's said since the deal was completed
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/38731760

A cool and good list. Guy has a pretty good resume.

I don't know the various groups associated with F1 well enough, I almost assume Bernie is going to weasel his way in somewhere to completely gently caress things up.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

BubbaGrace posted:

Petulant race car driver or petulant Korean dictator? You decide...

Kim Jong Vroom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Here is my quarterly reminder that F1 should be changed to, or heavily incorporate cool and good racing into the series

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QuUa_ADZJms

• Locked thread