Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ecstatic
Sep 30, 2010

dreesemonkey posted:

I really hope not. I haven't been impressed with Wehrlein at all. I'd like to see an established heavy hitter in there. Even someone sneaky like Perez would be fine. I don't want them to make Lewis obvious #1.

I don't want Vettel moving over, but I can almost guarantee he has exit clauses in his Ferrari contract like how he got out of RBR.

Nando would be amazing, Riciardo would be great, I might even tolerate Max (though his contract is probably iron loving clad) if he would demoralize Lewis. I can't think of anyone else that I feel would challenge Lewis.

Vettel's got to be the prime candidate, German and able to wriggle out of his contract.

And besides, who doesn't want to see a Ham Vet petulance match next year?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ecstatic
Sep 30, 2010

iospace posted:

Bold Prediction: Mercedes runs a one car team.

Fun fact, in 2013 Mercedes would have still come second in the WDC if Red Bull were running a one car team.

Ecstatic
Sep 30, 2010
Can someone quickly summarize Alonso's role in spygate for me?

Ecstatic
Sep 30, 2010
The money gets spent regardless, when engine regs were locked RB spent the most on Aero and performed the best, when engines development was open: merc yada yada yada.

Restricting money is hard given the creative accounting most teams can do. I thought restricting resources might be a good way to do it (manhours) but you end up with the creative accounting issue again.

My thoughts? The theoretical budget for your car is $100m (or whatever), you can run whatever development you want throughout the season.

After the first race, the car remains in parc ferme and is transported by the FIA to the next race. You are able to take any parts off your car and change them at the next race / replace the whole car if you want.

Any part taken off the car, goes to the FIA storage shed, the FIA gives it a value (engine~ 10 mill etc). And if a rival team wishes to buy it, they are able to, the net value of all the parts of a car should add up to the budget cap for development.

If you choose to spend bulk cash developing IP for your car to gain an advantage, then your return on investment is cents on the dollar. If you spend only your budget cap and Ferrari buys your entire car, you've just financed your team for the year.

Lawyers could draw up documents that patents could not be infringed upon inside of F1 but if you use it in your road car division then you're open for litigation.

Ecstatic
Sep 30, 2010
I struggle to believe, all the cash spent to upgrade Silverstone before 2010 was all part of their grand plan to renegotiate and lose the race 6 years later.

I struggle even further to believe these circuits (Korea, India) that dump nearly 300 mill on construction and then disappear after a few years. I would've thought to get finance you need to have a 10+ yr contract in place for your main revenue source.

• Locked thread