Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/38160269

Don't let them take Brazil away from me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

I agree that driving easily the best car on the grid into second in the championship makes you comfortably the best driver by a long way. I less ironically agree that Hulk should not be in the top ten.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

I like it, but I'm not sure it exists in the real world

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

44 is half of 88

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

iospace posted:

I'm reminded of that car Hitler was inspecting that had 44 as the number. I think it was posted in the in season thread

Oh yeah

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

This is me right now: what

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

I looked on djitsjustsquire's Twitter to see if he was planning on making a dramatic comeback in a Merc but his feed is a depressing wasteland

https://twitter.com/AlguersuariJA/status/795968192455708672

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

CratSock posted:

I can't say I'd turn that deal down. He's just one of the drivers that's been around for a long time, but never seems to leave much of an impression. Speaking of them, I legitimately never remember if Hulkenberg is still driving in F1 or not. I just looked, wow, Perez finished 7th and Hulk 10th. It's like they were never on TV or something!

Is this ironic I can't tell

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

Norns posted:

I don't see how Bottas is desirable. Has he had any impressive drives. Like at all?

There was that one a few years ago, I forget what he did, but he did it.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

Brundle's fallen into that trap that catches a lot of long-time commentators out, where instead of commentating on the entertainment, they believe they ARE the entertainment. Somehow it also happened to Ted Kravitz. It'll be partly due to how much they're paid, money as a measure of worth etc.

wicka posted:

Is Jon Legard even still alive?

He's back to reporting on football matches on the radio/Final Score, and I think occasionaly presenting BBC News' sport bulletin

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

learnincurve posted:

Murray was always extremely biased towards the British drivers, if you didn't like Mansell or Hill, and we didn't in our house, he was unbearable at the time. If Murray were commentating on modern F1 he would have been yammering on about what Jollyon was up to every time Lewis was not on screen.

I think this is mainly because it was well before the days of info saturation, keeping the British public informed on how the British drivers were doing kinda makes sense in that context. He was always one for giving out basic information anyway - from bits I remember and clips I've watched if the camera was focused on a car by itself he'd always make sure to point out the position, driver, manufacturer, engine supplier, and heck probably colour too.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

quote:

In other statistics released, Ferrari's Sebastian Vettel was remarkably passed only once throughout the campaign

(guess what I found again)

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

freeranger posted:

In a world of What If's, who would have been considered the worse champion. Irvine or Massa?

Irvine, as in a world where Massa was WDC he would have somehow avoided the spring and still been good Massa.

TBH there were a lot of parallels between them, see Europe 99 v Silverstone 08 for the best example.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

Alain Post posted:

Spain 1994.

I was looking up some clips of this and a YouTube comment managed to get a "heh" out of me

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

Alain Post posted:

I love Kimi and I still don't understand the idea that he had a particularly good year this season.

If Vettel had a poo poo year and Kimi had a great one then what does that say about either of them

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

Pirate Radar posted:

Among other things I hope the new, leveler field means a better year for our mate Dan, because I think he's a great guy and obviously a great driver and I want to see him on every podium.

I totally agree, it's a shame Red Bull swapped Max in for him

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

Massa already had a teary farewell, the higher powers will not be pleased, he will have a serious accident next year

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

iospace posted:

But imagine the meltdowns if Frogboy wins :allears:

There won't be many as half the thread will top themselves

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

You Am I posted:

Are Dan is still great:

Are Jense attracts supermodels, Yore Dan attracts grannies

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

Nico does take it everywhere, by the way - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/38469875

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Nelson Piquet, best Formula 1 dick grabber, best Formula 1 bus driver. He's the hero we need.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BOkUmuWAwjA/

They'd all get a two race ban for that nowadays

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

wicka posted:

Just like when this exact thing happened in 2013 with Webber and Alonso.

oh no wait they were just given reprimands

They're allowed one passenger

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

Theophany posted:

Murray is a certifiably British piece of poo poo that can't compete because he is loving useless, despite whatever loving bullshit the BBC insists with their dipshit hand-wringing.

He's won three majors in an era containing three of the greats of his sport. That's a bit less useless than, say, someone winning three titles using superior equipment (and still managing to come second in a one horse race)

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

George Zimmer posted:

I'll give it 5 years.

The beginning of the end.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

GramCracker posted:

I know the writing was on the wall but am I really the only one sort of bummed to see Are Bernard leaving?

Aside from half the thread, yes

julian assflange posted:

I feel bad for Ross Brawn

He's setting up his retirement fund, he knows it's a short-term investment.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

Our reigning champion makes a good point though

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

gret posted:

LOL Bernie wants to set up a competing racing series.

There's still hope!

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

A compilation of alternate Jordan "sponsors" I found

I remember the top two, was reminded of BE ON EDGE when I saw this, but can't say I recall Bitten Heroes.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

I'm enough of a nerd to check

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

He'd better make the most of that pencil sharpener, it's the most points he'll be making all year

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

Stoffel Vandoorne

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/127983/massa-jaguar-fe-test-completely-different

Massa drove a Jaguar Formula E car, says of experience "haha wierd but good. why not". Also

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

Me to the thread

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

I have never cared about the technical naming scheme of the cars, just as I have never cared about Simpsons episode numbers, and I feel my ignorance is justified for a change

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

Actually I tell a lie, F14T was funny

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

I've been looking at some old pics and stuff, for the hell of it, as you do. So here's Kimi back in 2001:

And here's what Sauber thought of him back then:

quote:

Sauber also has very high expectations of Kimi Räikkönen. "From the moment that he first sat in one of our cars, at Mugello in September last year, Kimi showed himself to be a most unusual young man. He had never driven anything more powerful than a Formula Renault at that point, but he did not put a wheel wrong and managed to set highly impressive lap times.

"In subsequent tests he continued this remarkable form, which made him impossible to overlook as a candidate for the second C20 seat. His performance in Jerez, where he convinced the F1 governing body of his suitability to hold a Super-Licence, was simply an endorsement of the potential that we saw back in September. We know that it will take Kimi time to find his feet in Formula One, once the racing starts, but our expectations of his long-term potential are very high."

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

enri posted:

Ok... why are some race weekends listed as 4 days, some 3, and others only 2? (ignoring Monaco weirdness that is) - British GP is apparently on the 15-16th July.... yet the weekend before, the Austrian GP spans 3 days. Derp. It doesn't bother me overly, but I've just copied all the dates into my calendar for the year and it looks all screwy.

Their dates are just bizarre, use this instead - https://www.formula1.com/en/championship/races/2017.html

Meanwhile I spotted they've done a feature on orange liveries, which is nice if you like orange

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

I thought it was Cesc Fabregas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

MattD1zzl3 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhdnQx8oQeg

MWDC '00, '01, '02, '03, '04, '05, '06, '07, '08, '09, '10, '11.

This is Zen, and not Heinz-Harald either

• Locked thread