Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
I can't see anything other than Bottas always being exactly three tenths slower than Hamilton in quali, regardless of the track or conditions. It will become The Valtteri Constant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

I hope Flashman Finneran makes it to F1

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

Massa won't win anything except repeat trips to the hospital because he already did the tearful farewell thing and the F1 gods will be enraged that he's going back on it

Unless the new owners have instilled some compassion in them, in which case the sport is dead to me

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

Also gently caress Benson and his insider sources poo poo, he's hedging his bets and will try to claim full credit if he's anywhere close

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

HJB posted:

Also gently caress Benson and his insider sources poo poo, he's hedging his bets and will try to claim full credit if he's anywhere close

McLaren-Honda unveil new orange, black & white car for 2017 season

Boo hiss boo, there's not enough white to call it white

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

Vando posted:

Relax, it'll look better in motion

You're right!

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

Button could still have a drive this year if Alonso or Stoffel Vandoorne have an oopsie

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

I don't remember it looking that arousing but then it was only ever shown while a silver ballet danced past it

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

The Toro Rosso looks really good but when you use two primary colours there's always a danger it'll look a little remedial

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

ukle posted:

edit: Vettel just set a 1:21.878 on mediums. Ferrari might actually be good WTF

Hopefully Seb's taken my advice, ditched the nicey nicey stuff, and spent the winter sacrificing goats and not helping old ladies across the road. I might get some mileage out of the gif this year

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

GramCracker posted:

Of all the cars on the grid, which is the shittiest that Nando could drag to a WDC?

Mercedes

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

What year was that Ferrari insanity test thing made, if we're repeating the past it means having to live through Crazy Frog again

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

The British people defy the thread once again

quote:

The votes are in and it's an overwhelming win for Mercedes, with 36% of you choosing the W08 as the looker of 2017.

The looks that made the Arrows such a stunner back in 2002 have helped McLaren into an unlikely second place with 18% of the vote, while striking Toro Rosso has to take third.

Williams and Ferrari, meanwhile, once pin ups of the pit lane, rank surprisingly low.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

The Merc marauds fairly ominously

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

This caption feels a little creepy

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

https://twitter.com/RenaultSportF1/status/836902592680701952

Nice use of Windows 98. Bottas is still more than a second off Massa's ultimate fastest though - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circuit_de_Barcelona-Catalunya#Absolute_fastest_lap

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

Guess it's a bit of a damp squib today

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

GramCracker posted:

Can someone please explain the whole "rivals.com pun" poo poo to me?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/dictionary.php?act=3&topicid=2447

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

Just saw Hand Knit is banning single image responses, my Vettel gif is denied once again

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

He wouldn't touch the thread with a ten foot bargepole, he only goes by reports.

blunt posted:

Do these work in the rain?

I feel like this is an important question.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

Bernie ran F1 for himself, which is why it's survived as long as it has. Ross Brawn's fallen into the classic trap of trying to appeal to the fans, otherwise known as commercial suicide, because fans of any sport let alone F1 are fickle and stupid, and if nothing else trying to chase all their demands will make the ol' funds leak like a sieve.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Here's another good video of an F1 team which will never recover, and also the greatest driver from the greatest country

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYahKdG7ItY

Who or what is an Ammermuller

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

I'm looking forward to Bernie getting in front of a camera somehow and saying incredibly dumb poo poo to get some attention. I wager he will be recorded at some race track saying the holocaust was actually good or something like that.

"Liberty are doing a good job"

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

Maybe he's left to concentrate on tennis full time

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

I've never been one for calling Max a frog but the evidence is there

I'm Crap posted:

But Lewis isn't showing his real personality, he's displaying a load of PR consultant Instagram celebrity garbage. He actually is the prematurely bald race car driving autist from Hertfordshire whose favourite band is Simple Minds or some poo poo that he was at McLaren, his current super cool 19-year-old pop star persona is put together by his management team to increase his marketability.

We'll see what happens when he reaches the stage all former champions go through, where he's no longer the fastest driver/in the fastest car, not in with a shout at a race win let alone a title win, and with time ticking away. Schumi was there in his second stint, Vettel's in there but fighting to get out, Alonso's so firmly in there he needs Chilean miner levels of help.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

Sod Wikipedia, this is how I'm going to digest F1 from now on

https://twitter.com/Circuitcat_eng/status/839452490689019906

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

Good job Mercedes 🤜🏽🤛🏻

Pirate Radar posted:

Before I go anywhere else with this, isn't Stroll Canadian?

Yep, see that's already a self-made scandal.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

Whose birthday is it today?

That's right! 32 years young, and forever in our hearts.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

quote:

Another lap, another improvement by Sebastian Vettel. This time it's a 1:19.024.

He's fastest of all through the first two sectors but appears to ease off in the third. Definitely more in that Ferrari bag.

So Ferrari have three of a kind, and they may or may not have a full house. Mercedes might be sitting on a royal flush but are doing a better job of keeping a poker face. McLaren have a six high.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

They need to make "Where's Niki?" a bit harder really.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

https://twitter.com/redbullracing/status/839821140122021889

I'm glad things start up for real this month because my brain is beginning to seep out of my ears

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

I remain confident that The Valtteri Constant™ will hold.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

Falken posted:

1m18.634s

Thats 4 seconds quicker than what Hamilton did last year in qualifying last year. Christ.

There's Ferrari's full house then.

Theophany posted:

Can somebody please explain to me what 'bacon briefcase' means? Google's throwing up some weird poo poo.

It's also a thread thing from I think before my time, someone sent a text or email to the BBC feed with that phrase in there and it got read out.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

RIP a good lad.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

Meanwhile the most recent BBC poll was "Which team have you got most excited about in F1 testing?", Ferrari got exactly half of the votes, but no prizes for guessing who came second. Turns out I've been using the American definition of "exciting" all this time because I'm not familiar with the British one.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

I'm glad for the pink car, and am waiting to see how it looks in Singapore

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

"Money? What do we need money for, we have integrity" - Every failed business ever

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

Norns posted:

You guys are going to be so sad when Max Verstappen gets a wdc

I will be whatever the opposite of sad is, I forget the word, it's been a while

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

TurboDrizzle posted:

Thread hivemind: Would you rather see a 2017 Kimi WDC? Or a 2017 Massa WDC?

Kim. Massa's retired, I've said my piece on what that means already. Sorry to Sebby Seb Seb but him snapping is better for the sport than a sentimental F1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

To fellow Britspersons, I realised earlier I had no idea which races were being shown live on poverty TV so here - http://www.channel4.com/info/press/news/formula1-on-c4-is-back-for-the-2017-fia-formula-one-world-championship

Bahrain –16th April
Russia –30th April
Monaco –28th May
Azerbaijan – 25th June
Great Britain –16th July
Belgium – 27th August
Singapore – 17th September
Malaysia – 1st October
USA – 22nd October
Abu Dhabi – 26th November

• Locked thread