Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

The old Hockenheim was usually a complete snoozefest. New layout, with all it's faults, is way better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Watkins Glen is still a pretty cool track and probably more easily adapted to F1 standards

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gN8OodSStO0

I don't get the hatred of Watkins Glen. The long course is pretty cool. Road America is 20 turns that look virtually the same.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

I was thinking Coultard. (See: Bernoldi)

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Carth Dookie posted:

Why? Maybe I'm remembering wrong, but aside from some petulance where Lewis tweeted some timing data to try to show the world why he was slower than Jenson in Belgium one year, I don't recall any tension. Certainly not in the way Lewis and Rosberg were.

It was all very petty stuff. Like when he complained that Jenson stopped following him on Twitter...except Jenson never followed him the first place!

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

See: Mark Webber.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

learnincurve posted:

Huh? I know how to use photoshop to edit flaws out of photographs, and once you know the signs you see it everywhere, bad photoshop is just grating is all. It's really not just about the position of her knee, her ankle is also bad. It could have been done because Williams wanted something on the car shopped out and her leg suffered rather than the other way round. I'm not even sure which exact car that is, shouldn't that decal come with visible rear suspension and/or carbon fibre above the barge board?

Never back down, eh?:)

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Norns posted:

Your posts do have some "odd bumbs"

:vince:

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

I think Brundle is quite good. He's better at talking about the cars handling than Coultard, I think and he clearly loves the sport.
Crofty is almost as bad as James Allen. In fact, I think he's worse, with the public school nicknames and mannerisms. Ted is similar.
Ted especially drives me nuts. I don't care about him, only the information he can delivers, which he often fails to do.
Legard wasn't very good, but he didn't annoy me, so just based on that, I think he was the least worst of the 'modern' batch.
Oh and Eddie Jordan should just go jump in a lake. What an obnoxious prick. How on earth did he ever manage to run a F1 team?

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

aequalis posted:

Your opinions are cool and good.

Except for Legard. gently caress that guy, I mean honestly, what was he doing there?

Mostly not being James Allen. Yeah, he was boring, but he didn't annoy me.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Michael Schumacher and Jim Clark.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Khablam posted:

That and the one Hungarian GP where he puts in qualifying pace for 20~ laps in a row to try to get a free pitstop.

That one was mesmerizing.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZUfwjHMNrw

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Would love to know how much Mercedes is paying Williams for this.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Khablam posted:

Stop this tired (heh) nonsense. Even Pirelli put out an infographic that put him ~3seconds a lap faster than people with the same age tires.
Also none of the tires were old at all.

Erhh, so why didn't he win everything?

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Human Grand Prix posted:

I was specifically referring to Brazil.

So why didn't he win Brazil :)?

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

wicka posted:

He's pretty dumb and reckless.

I agree with Wicka again!!!!

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

iospace posted:

But only Lewis is the petulant one! :downs:

Yeah. If you knew the story to it, then yes, Lewis was being the petulant one.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Human Grand Prix posted:

Sorry if I come across as a smartass but when was the last time you think it mattered? Genuine Question.

Why, when Villeneuve won it, of course.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

wicka posted:

I'm gonna say it every day until I die: the ads are unbearable, but NBC's coverage is vastly superior to Sky in literally every other way.

Erhh, no.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/analysis-what-s-behind-f1-s-suspension-controversy-863068

Nice article on the suspension issue.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

CratSock posted:

Most important realization from that study: "So how much does the driver actually contribute to a Formula 1 team's success? A mere 15 percent".

I actually thought it was less than that.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

nsaP posted:

Joe's Award just posted the only thing he's ever done worth reading.

https://joesaward.wordpress.com/2017/01/10/why-this-blog-has-been-quiet/

It is. Ok, maybe he waffles at the end, but read it anyway.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

learnincurve posted:

I dunno about F1 drivers if it were me and Horner told me to go sit by the toilets I'd be wondering why Horner could not go to the cheap seat himself, given that it was a team gently caress up, and would be quietly filing that little moment under "revenge".

What part of 'double-booked' didn't you understand?

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

learnincurve posted:

Wut?

it was either "double booked", or, and this is the way it works in Britain, Horner who was on the same flight, should have sat in the bad seat himself or sent a minion with a promise that he would remember this and would make it up to them later.

No, you claimed that it was a team gently caress-up that the airline double booked the seat.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

learnincurve posted:

:/ the team booked with an airline that double booked it's business class seats. In Britain the person who booked the seats or thier boss would be held responsible as a matter of standard practice. No need to be such an arse.

No they wouldn't. It's the airlines screw-up and completely out of control of the person who booked it. Stop making poo poo up.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Human Grand Prix posted:

English and Germans are basically the same.

Even the Queen is German.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

For some reason I thought Wehrlein had had a barnstorming career in the junior categories, but all he's really got was one good season in DTM?

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Wow, you're on a roll today.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

poty posted:

I hope Theresa May puts Bernie in charge of the Brexit negotiation with the EU

That's probably the only way the UK will come out of that with any kind of success...

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

And Ross Brawn is in:
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/127860/brawn-returns-to-f1-in-senior-liberty-role

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

GramCracker posted:

I know the writing was on the wall but am I really the only one sort of bummed to see Are Bernard leaving?

Good riddance, I'd say.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Ahh, Sniff Petrol on Bernie:
http://sniffpetrol.com/2017/01/24/f1-in-chaos-as-ecclestone-ousted/#.WIgWy_krKHv

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Completely agree. It's an iconic brand, so who cares if it's dead or not.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

I have to go to Montreal some point this year and I'm trying hard to time it with the GP weekend.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

I used my old UK address to buy NHL GameCenter Live, which would black out 2-3 random games per week. This was great until the playoffs and the whole scheme fell apart as they showed them all on some obscure UK channel.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

1500quidporsche posted:

All of Canada is a secondary market for the Blue Jays and the team actively told MLB to gently caress off and not black out the games so it isn't. "Shockingly" there's been a huge groundswell of support for the Jays among young people in recent years.

A lot of that was plan old bandwagon jumping. A couple of crappy seasons and all the Blue Jays caps will disappear again here in Vancouver :).
Similarly, there's been a disturbing outbreak of Oilers jerseys this year.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

So, for the Montreal GP, where is the best place to watch it? Wife just offered to pay for the ticket. The Main Straight is probably too expensive..

https://tickets.formula1.com/en/3215-canada-fom/?pgs=1&gclid=CJzn2eOQk9ICFUSXfgodT_IKkw

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

GramCracker posted:

I'd travel up from NYC for that, seems pretty reasonably priced. How are hotels and what not in that area during the GP weekend?

If you're from NYC, they'll probably be reasonable (and BIG! BIG BIG ROOMS)
:D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

New McLaren
https://vimeo.com/204339860

:fap:

• Locked thread