Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Alain Post posted:

Does this mean Michael Schumacher used to rely on Jos Verstappen and JJ Letho to set up his cars at Benetton

I had a chuckle at this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
The FW16 was superior to the B194 by a long shot.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Theophany posted:

ETA: oh yeah, and the illegal poo poo Benneton were running.

I need some proof here comrade.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Upon further review I have concluded that the Benetton must have relied on Verstappen, Lehto, and Johnny Herbert to set up the car. That's probably why it was so difficult to drive.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

1500quidporsche posted:

Incidentally if you do casually run into 1986 Osella driver Allen Berg do not ask him in a joking tone "What was it like being lapped by Prost?" he will not find it funny.

Lighten up there big Al.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Alain Post posted:

*adjusts numbers* Hulk is our generation's Jarno Trulli?

He's this generation's Marc Surer.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I'm trying to figure out who had the most points finishes without a win or podium using the old top 6 system.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Alain Post posted:

It is illegal and highly risky to post things like Poois Shamilton, Sebshitstain Vesmell, Pooderia Ferrari, ShitClaren, or Nico Fraudberg in this thread. Please do not post any of those things or anything like that.

I would use "Shitbastian", personally.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

simplefish posted:

Does anyone here like Clive James' dry humour?

Yes.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

El Hefe posted:

I was watching the 1994 Japanese GP yesterday and you can't fault him for spinning out imho, it was loving drenched.

Yeah Katayama spun off as well.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
As did Noda, Alboreto, and several others.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I think Noda might have been decent had he'd been given a proper shot.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Rosberg has a sense of humor?

He retired after winning the Championship, forever trolling Hamilton.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

El Hefe posted:

They've been showing the 1982 season here because Rosberg won I guess, and drat what a tragic season.

That year's Renault was a beautiful car though, I love how the entire back was uncovered.

The '82 ground effect cars finally looked "right", as opposed to weird or downright ugly.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

You Am I posted:

And the ground effects on some of the cars were that crazy that some teams didn't run nose wings

The ones they did run were pretty rudimentary too. The Renault's were very simple.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
The front wings? On low downforce circuits they weren't needed usually, but it depended on the car.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
They are putting a chicane on the Mistral Straight at Paul Ricard : /.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I was always of the opinion Honda should have sought a low key partner.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

1500quidporsche posted:

He was great in the 80s but by the late 90s there was like a 1 in 3 chance every race that he was going to confuse a Minardi crashing out with a championship contender.

He was also doing this in the 1980s.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

El Hefe posted:

Jesus I'm watching Silverstone 2003 and on the grid there's Alonso but also.... Verstappen.

Max was like 4 back then and Nando was already in F1 racing against his daddy

Verstappen was atrocious that year. Thankfully it spelt the end of his career.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah these most recent turbo cars have been the most difficult to drive in quite some time. 2008 was the very end of the aero era, if anything the 2008 cars were much easier to drive.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I can't speak for anything Pre-1980 but in the Modern Era Prost. Schumacher is obviously amazing but I believe his competition in his latter championships was simply not as strong.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

wicka posted:

Prost and Andretti. I considered AJ Foyt for the latter but it's hard to go with him when he never even ran an F1 race (outside of the the 500 way back when) and Andretti is an F1 champion.

Andretti's later career was much better, I think. CART Foyt was pretty lousy from what I've seen, although that might be due to equipment.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

wicka posted:

I doubt many people who watched F1 during his reign will rate him that highly solely because of sour grapes and the extent to which Ferrari favored him as a #1 driver.

I do. He was obviously the best until he retired.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
The '96 Ferrari was even worse and he managed to put it on Pole 4 times and win 3 races. To put it in to perspective, Irvine retired like 7 or 8 times in a row.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

freeranger posted:

In a world of What If's, who would have been considered the worse champion. Irvine or Massa?

Irvine.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
From 1995 to 2000 there really wasn't anybody who could touch Michael on skill alone. The guy who should have been his main rival died.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

1500quidporsche posted:

That Berger won a race in the twilight of his career after missing two races in a Benetton is all you need to know about the depth of skill in the late 90s field

Let's throw 1996 in here as well. Old/Older dudes from the 80s golden era were still very competitive.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
The HHF thing is more surprising because it was a smallish British team with engines made in a shed in Shizuoka.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Alain Post posted:

Looking for talent in the mid-90s leads down dark roads like "what if Karl Wendlinger hadn't nearly died" and "Olivier Panis was kinda good before his injury right"

JC Bouillion vanishing off the face of the earth after 1995.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

iospace posted:

Ask Lewis.

That's not comparable. It would be like Lewis Melting down to Ricciardo and Sergio Perez.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
You really don't see cars getting stuck in gear very much anymore.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
HHF should have amounted to more, I thought.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah that's a pretty accurate description.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I like Aguri Suzuki's.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Bellof had a good one.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I like the minimalist helmets of Laffite and Arnoux.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Alain Post posted:

Speaking of people who should have amounted to more,

Say what you will, he was the first guy (and early Raikkonen) in a while that could match Micheal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Captain Cancer posted:

Long time reader, never contribute; but the nostalgia about helmet designs takes me back to my misspent youth of designing car liveries and helmets, first on paper, then in GP2edit (or whatever other Grand Prix 2 editors were around in the early days). It was an obsession. Spent hours designing a new team / helmet (Marlboro or B&H usually being the title sponsor), do the first race (Interlagos) then repeat.

In conjunction with my fanaticism with Italian football, Andrea De Cesaris' lid was always my favourite, with Jean Alesi a close second.

Andrea had a great helmet.

• Locked thread