Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES
2016 was a glorious year that gave us the opportunity to see a true champion of the people, a driver who simply cannot be matched in goodness or coolness. Keke Rosberg.

two cool and good champions just hanging out, probably yesterday

Keke is just so loving cool that I expect most of the offseason discussion to be devoted towards trying to prepare doctoral thesis statements that attempt to quantify his coolness but ultimately fail because it’s just not possible. On the extremely off chance that isn’t the case, here are some topics up for discussion:

2017 Rule changes, just what in the gently caress is going on?
2017 is going to bring wider cars, wider tires and get rid of the stupid token system so we can expect some degree of engine parity, probably more unreliability, and moderately faster cars. What’s up for debate is just how much faster and how much this is going to improve the quality of “the show”. While there are concerns that the aero focus and wider cars could make passing more difficult, a lack of knowledge about the new Pirelli tires could create a 2012 scenario with multiple winners and for the first time in nearly 20 years it will be possible to put too much downforce onto a car.

Will McLaren Honda be a trainwreck or absolutely brilliant?
The first two years of the renewed partnership could best be described as “terrible”. Honda quite simply got it wrong and there are little signs that McLaren’s cars weren’t that great either. The widely accepted view is that now that we are done with the token system Honda will transition to a Mercedes’ style split turbo setup and McLaren will be able to put more downforce onto the car as a result of the extra power. They have been testing 2017 aero concepts in free practice sessions more than any other team by my view, signed Newey’s protégé and they have arguably the best driver on the grid in Fernando Alonso but there is still a huge question mark over where this team is going to be in the pecking order for 2017.

What’s going on in the midfield and can Haas make their difficult second album a success?
2016 saw some great midfield battles with Force India scoring their first 4th in the WCC while Williams fell short and at best have struggled to develop their car from the high point of 2014 but the new rules give them a chance at a fresh start. Haas were the real shockers of the year with Grosjean putting in some jaw dropping results early one before spending the second half of the year consistently battling brake issues. Renault will be looking for significant improvements in their second year, especially with an improved engine, and a good measuring point will be Toro Rosso who will be transitioning back to Renault engines.

If anybody else has some good topics let me know and I’ll add them to the OP. It’s the offseason so talk about whatever the gently caress you think is appropriate, I fully expect me, HGP and Alain Post to derail this talking about old seasons or the merits of Group B versus Group A Rally at some point anyways. The most important part of the offseason to remember is the bacon briefcase. Anything we see or hear about a car or team’s performance is likely conjecture until Q3 of the Australian Grand Prix. Enjoy.

IRC: irc.synirc.net/F1

2016 season | 2015-16 Off-season | 2015 Part 1|2015 Part 2 | 2014-15 Off-season | 2014 season | 2013-14 Off-season | 2013 season | 2012-13 Off season | 2012 season
2011-12 Off-season | 2011 Part 1|2011 Breakaway (stop talking about phones!)|2011 Part 2 | 2010-2011 Off Season | 2010 Part 1|2010 Part 2 | 2009-2010 Off season
2009 News and Views|2009 Part 1|2009 Breakaway Thread|2009 Part 2 | 2008-2009 Off season | 2008 Part 1|2008 Part 2|2008 Part 3 | 2007-2008 Off season
2007 Part 1|2007 Part 2|2007 Part 3 | 2006 Part 1|2006 Part 2|2006 Part 3|2006 Part 4|2006 Part 5 | 2005 Whole Season | 2005 Part WTF | 2004 Whole Season

Tony quidprano fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Nov 30, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES

Roller Coast Guard posted:

White and yellow Renaults are where it's at:

I always loved the Renaults, especially the ones that used the digital clock font for the car numbers.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
Is that French for poo poo? because that's what he'll be.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
Or Abu Dhabi.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
I was always partial to Estoril, I think they can still technically race there.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

I found a picture of the worst thread and keke

Please don't doxx me, tia

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
If you want to see why Keke is great you really need to see '83, his driving was just amazing that season. '82 is a good season to watch though if you've never seen it.

I'm almost done rewatching '89 and usually cover two or three seasons over the winter.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
'90 is one of my favourite seasons. I loving loved that Ferrari.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
I too can name things better than dog poo poo.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
I'm pretty sure Mercedes would do everything in its power to stop a grand prix happening on that circuit.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
Take them both off and replace them with Macau.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

Alain Post posted:

I love Macau because it's basically like someone designed a track with the goal of making it as likely as possible to have a horrible crash on it

The government was giving out some ridiculous financial incentives for the kart race if you just turned up at the starting grid to the point where it looked like I you could feasibly turn a profit just by showing up with a kart. I don't think it would be impossible for F1 to race there, if there's money Bernie will sign.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
I'd argue that Austria is pretty gimped as well compared to the old layout.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
I'm suprised Baku got approved to be honest. It included pretty much everything F1 circuits have tried moving away from on safety grounds over the past 20 years.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHH

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/french-gp-poised-for-surprise-f1-return-in-2018-855952/

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

Alain Post posted:

Paul Ricard owns as a layout and it kind of always looked a bit like a parking lot/highway. Hope they use the long layout.

I'm willing to put $50 on track limits being an issue there next year.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

only when they are put amongst the pidgeons

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVkD5wVX-Z4

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
Reserved to empty quote Alain Post's inevitable post about wishing Verstappen would eat the wall at San Marino.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
Incidentally I was secretly hoping San Marino actually would replace Monza. I just like it more as a circuit.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

td4guy posted:

Nando to Mercedes please.

I am literally erect.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
If Nando goes to Mercedes I will literally get banned.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

Sashimi posted:

I really can't blame Rosberg for retiring on a high note. Maybe he saw Button piddling around for the last few years of his career and thought nah.

I think he's retiring a little too soon but he really didn't look like he was enjoying himself at the end there. Obviously it meant alot to get one like his dad did, maybe that's all he wanted.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
The irony of all this of course is that Mercedes were really giving off the impression that they would not be too concerned if Lewis left that team, and now the reverse has happened.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
I think Vettel would struggle to beat Lewis. Alonso would almost certainly clean him out now.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
Whirloin is hot garbage and I will weep if he gets that that seat.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
The refusing to turn the engine off in a free practice thing soured me a bit and he's really struggled to beat teammates that he should've been consistently faster than.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

ukle posted:

They won't go for Alonso as he's past his prime

MOOOOODDDDSSS

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

iospace posted:

I don't get why everyone thinks Mercedes is going to be charge again when engine development gets freed up (split turbo honda in the works) and Red Bull is going to get better aero.

There's no guarantee of anything but my suspicion is that the Red Bull next year will be severely under development. Mercedes were just sitting on their hands 80% of this year and there was no reason Red Bull should've kept development on this car going to the end of the season.

They made the same mistake in 2014 when there wasn't really a limit on wind tunnel testing, now there's a major limit on what you can do and they just kept plugging away at this car.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
Lowe really is Newey's equal if not better at this point. Newey has always felt like a spent force to me, particularly towards the end of the Vettelreich

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

wicka posted:

"Nico Rosberg: A classy move from a classy man"

This is the title of an article that you should not read and that I will not link here.

J....Joe....?

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

Sulman posted:

Do you not remember the RB9 walking away from other cars even when they had their DRS open?

I remember it consistently struggling with tires until Red Bull bitched loud enough to get the compound changed to what they wanted.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

Alain Post posted:

Remember when Lewis was really bad at the start of the year and had a bunch of bad starts? IMO, he should have done less of this

So many people act like he's this brilliant genius driver and convenient leave out he's able to drive like total dog poo poo for long stretches of time. I started watching in 2011 and my opinion is that he's a fairly bad driver.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
Genius driver!

*Crashes into Massa for six consecutive races*

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

Human Grand Prix posted:

One is a child that got promoted for marketing reasons and the other is Mark Webber Mk2.

It does my head in that Red Bull can just yell that their drivers are all time greats long enough and everyone buys into it hook line and sinker.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

Human Grand Prix posted:

You could probably put Newey in his own drat car and he'd do pretty well (he is a decent driver, believe it or not).

I'm like 90% certain at this point he's sticking around to get his kid into a car.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

Human Grand Prix posted:

I'm will not predict the future but I think McLaren switched very early too, and Hasegawa at Honda basically gave up at the beginning of the year when he realized how much Arai hosed everything.

Most people in the know have said that McLaren have just been relentlessly testing 2017 concepts the back half of the year. I don't think they'll be the lead team next year but I expect them to be very close.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

Theophany posted:

What do people reckon of Arrivabene staying at Ferrari? Marchionne seems to be quite the corporate loving Nero.

I think you mean Caligula.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
Nico left the sport being the best. You either retire a winner or live long enough to see yourself become a fraud.

• Locked thread