Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I'm Crap
Aug 15, 2001

Begall posted:

Yep, Rosberg has retired. Has this ever happened in F1 before?

Edit: Also yes most importantly, who the gently caress gets that seat??

nigel mansell

edit: also nigel mansell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I'm Crap
Aug 15, 2001
Butt rear end is insanely mediocre and watching Hamilton beat him by a lap every race is going to make for the most boring racing in history imo

I'm Crap
Aug 15, 2001

DoctorGonzo posted:

Senna was good. Rosberg lost his title in 5 days and Hamilton is salty as gently caress. I hope Mercedes signs Max.

Rosberg is actually Champion Emeritus now for the rest of his life.

I'm Crap
Aug 15, 2001

Human Grand Prix posted:

He's this generation's Marc Surer.

He's going to end up punting a Group B car into a tree and exploding?

I'm Crap
Aug 15, 2001

Alain Post posted:

I like Mika but his performance in 1999 was so bizarre that I once listed it as one of the worst performances by a defending champion in F1 history despite the fact that he actually defended the title. Who the hell melts down against Eddie Irvine and HHF, seriously

Frentzen was cool, and good.

I'm Crap
Aug 15, 2001

1500quidporsche posted:

Lewis is like Senna, he's insanely fast but he's also very very flawed as a driver. I wouldn't call either the greatest driver of that generation.

He's nowhere near as good as Senna, and I don't like Senna. He's more like Nigel but with better luck with his cars.

I'm Crap
Aug 15, 2001
Mansell's engines/tyres/gearboxes always failed because he ragged the poo poo out of them.

I'm Crap
Aug 15, 2001

wicka posted:

If we had a time machine that could put every driver in their prime into the same car, those 50s drivers would get absolutely pissed on. Haryanto is more talented than those dudes.

What makes you say that, other than the mistaken general perception that people have that the stars who were around when they first watched a particular sport were the first ones ever to be any good? I imagine you're going to say something about professionalism and the age at which kids start today. A lot of drivers were half-assed amateurs back then, true. But there were always drivers around who were fully professional and who had been into dirt track racing, midgets or karts or some poo poo since age 8 - and they couldn't (and can't) necessarily beat talented '"'"gentleman"''"' racers, even if they started at age 20. Whatever that dipshit Malcolm Gladwell says, some tiny number of people are naturals, and they have always existed and still do. Sebastien Loeb didn't start racing cars until his early twenties, for instance.

I'm Crap
Aug 15, 2001

Payndz posted:

See the VJM01 for proof.

Or that Jordan-Peugeot from the mid-90s.

I'm Crap
Aug 15, 2001

harperdc posted:

Lewis is an incredible talent, but you can tell he is a bit immature (in a similar way to some musicians, actors, etc) and that Mercedes care far less about his personal life than McLaren did. It also is important to point out that you can't have your cake and eat it too -- it's annoying to hear some fans both complain about drivers having no personalities, but then complaining when Lewis shows his. is it because he's black? :v:

But Lewis isn't showing his real personality, he's displaying a load of PR consultant Instagram celebrity garbage. He actually is the prematurely bald race car driving autist from Hertfordshire whose favourite band is Simple Minds or some poo poo that he was at McLaren, his current super cool 19-year-old pop star persona is put together by his management team to increase his marketability.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I'm Crap
Aug 15, 2001

Norns posted:

What tracks do you want to see?

Charade :unsmigghh:

• Locked thread