Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

George Zimmer posted:

Hockenheim is the one "classic" circuit that I wouldn't really be disappointed about if it shut down. It's just so bad. As far as I'm concerned, that circuit died when they got rid of the forest section.

Not totally sure... but I think the forest section went because TV coverage was poor, such a sad reason if right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

1500quidporsche posted:

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHH

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/french-gp-poised-for-surprise-f1-return-in-2018-855952/

So a Bernie owned track may get a GP, I wonder how much he charges himself?
I imagine an eternal cat tied to a piece of buttered toast deal going on

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

Wow fantastic Nico, I think he's just gifted us the best F1 off season for drama, Lewis thought he had the measure of him now he will have someone new... please be Alonso that would be hilarious

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

Powershift posted:

No, he's a hair unhinged. He's still an invincible teenager. Hell, he hit hulkenburg and spun in the first corner in the last race.

That said, he one-stopped, and where everybody said the supersofts would last ~13 laps, he went 23. If Anybody else one-stopped, they would have won that race. There is genuine skill there.

We haven't heard from Lauda yet, he probably hasn't stopped swearing long enough to give a reporter a coherent quote.

Red Bull split strategies, and gave max the one that looked more like a race winning one, just like they did webber and vettel in Abby Dabby that time, RBR are cunts that screw over aussies

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

Powershift posted:

No, they knew he blew it in turn 1, and were using him to back Rosberg up to give Riccardo a better chance with the undercut. They didn't expect Hamilton to try to do the same.

I prefer my theory.. it fits the RBR narrative

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

Powershift posted:

Yeah, but logic would suggest at some point, in even cars, the 'faster" car would pass the one going slowly. Especially if the "faster" car would be the one to benefit from a collision.

Logic suggests also they started on the harder tyre to go further, yet they pitted Ricky in the same window as the rest

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

Deepfried posted:

Lewis may be talented but gently caress he's a classless oval office.

oval office.

Yep Rosberg has a family, a great life with a history of intelligence and class, Lewis has no loving idea what he is outside F1, he's awkward and has little social skills outside his celebrity poo poo
Every other driver has a passion for people or country they represent.... however I do pity him for it, he was Ron's protégé

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

Theophany posted:

On the subject of Eddie Jordan, this guy can't even admit he's bald as gently caress and we all know it.

I don't get why people have an issue with it

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

DoctorGonzo posted:

Senna was good. Rosberg lost his title in 5 days and Hamilton is salty as gently caress. I hope Mercedes signs Max.

Rosberg walks away with his title I think that's fantastic for him, he achieved what he wanted, I hope someone destructive walks into that Merc seat, Max Ferd or seb I'd be happy, Lewis is too comfortable and his pissy comments about Nico show it

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

In fact Ive never been so happy about a WDC since Button

Edit: Kimi's made me laugh though

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

AgentJotun posted:

gently caress off to D&D with that rubbish.

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

1500quidporsche posted:

Grosjean always puzzles me, I think he lets the pressure get to him too much like Are Rossie used to. His best drives this year was the first few when there was very very low expectations for Haas and then as the season went on he really was on the dull end. I get that the car was poo poo but you shouldn't be finishing behind GUT in the same car under any sort of circumstance.

edit: I don't think its going to happen but I would be genuinely interested in Sainz since I'm pretty sure he is a better overall driver than frogboy

Grosjean and Maldonado were the pathfinders for Max, if the pack had treated him like they did those two, there would be a hell of a lot more RBR carbon fibre on the track

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

oliwan posted:

there are still people itt that don't see that Max is the biggest talent in racing today. lol. it boggles the mind.

To be fair his racing lines in Brazil were outstanding

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

Theophany posted:

But they weren't to anybody who karts competitively at even the lowest level. What is a mindfuck is that all these guys start in karting and yet they never accept that the rubbered in racing line is the most treacherous in the wet because it is basically like driving on ice. That's not to diminish Max's drive or ability, but he's kind of shooting fish in a barrel.

Driving a Rotax or shifter in the wet on the racing line is a drat quick way to get hurt quickly.

Hey the Merc seat is still free hotshot ;)

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

GramCracker posted:

This is Cool And Good.

Drunk Button is the best Button though

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

Briatore rules out Alonso for Mercedes
http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/briatore-rules-out-mercedes-switch-for-alonso-858074/

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

learnincurve posted:

I do not know who this is and googling didn't help.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Prix_3

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

wicka posted:

I doubt many people who watched F1 during his reign will rate him that highly solely because of sour grapes and the extent to which Ferrari favored him as a #1 driver.

I hated him with a passion during his reign, but loved to see him when he came back

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Sir Stirling, who is cool and good, said Fangio was the best, so he's the best. Sir Jackie, who is cool and good, said Clark was the best, so he's the best.

Bernie said Prost was the best of his era, he should know

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

1500quidporsche posted:

The thing was you had Hill and Are Jacques:canada: who both had faster cars and looked like they were struggling to keep their heads above water and the Mika got a car faster than Michael and he was decent enough to keep to look composed.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

hosed up double post

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

As a movie it's complete poo poo. It has a crap storyline, very dated kitschy editing, and bad music. But that puts it above Le Mans which has no story at all. Grand Prix has easily the best cinematography of any racing movie ever made though, just ahead of Le Mans, which makes it worth watching to racing enthusiasts. The camera work is stunning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZO1sghO2Jkw

Grand Prix is fantastic

Edit also saw a film on the making of Le Mans and the camera work there was mental

djssniper fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Dec 22, 2016

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

If you want an offseason racing game to play, this is so simple and fantastic, was posted in a PYF Flash game thread

http://www.kongregate.com/games/PeopleFun/race-time

Also on ios and android

Edit: there are multiple racing lines depending on speed

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

Baron Corbyn posted:

Alonso destroyed his own career when he had a meltdown over being beaten by the Crown Prince (now King) of Formula One, Our Lewis.

I laughed so hard at this back then, almost as good as China

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3SUidn2LNg

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

iospace posted:

But only Lewis is the petulant one! :downs:

It was payback for Lewis being a oval office, delivered well

Edit: Perspective https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWJCGInsVUs

I remember Ron saying at somepoint that season 'We are racing Alonso' meaning Lewis was his main objective

djssniper fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Dec 22, 2016

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

Roller Coast Guard posted:

2003(?) era single lap, now-or-never qualifying owned and the literal babies crying about it at the time can gently caress right off.

All that time watching nothing happen

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

BBC's voters greatest F1 champion,,, no biggy on the winner as it is Brit biased

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/38409656

But holy lmao poo poo in a barrel, no Hamilton to be seen... even Nico is placed

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

I can't hate on Verstappen, the sport needs someone to root against, MSC, then HAM, then VET, you jerks wouldn't have anything to argue about if we didn't have these guys, only year I can think of is 2009 when everyone wanted our Jens to win, well apart from some Brazilians, oh and Rubens family

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

minstrels posted:

I got Damon Hill's autobiography for Christmas, about 2/3 through it and I'm absolutely loving it.

Would definitely recommend it.

Cheers, have read extracts, but gonna dive into this, finally finished Webbers, also good and sheds light on the RBR team at the time, obviously biased but to be fair Webber always was straight up

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

Well I guess Palmer can only hope to replicate his fathers success as did Hill and Rosberg

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

Powershift posted:

He's probably already told them he is quitting, and is giving them time to find a replacement driver. It would be a real dick move to sign a long contract and then just leave suddenly.

Nah live your own life... win the WDC and leave with the best gently caress off to your petulant team mate ever

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

Powershift posted:

I highly doubt current 3 time WDC, and future all time winningest driver of all time lewis hamilton loses any sleep to one time accidental WDC whats his name retiring.

Vettel was laughing his rear end off inside protecting Rosberg from future hated mutiple WDC Verstappen to prevent Lewis being an equal 4 times WDC, of course he's pissed his dubious tactics didn't work

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

Powershift posted:

Schumacher lost to Villeneuve, Senna lost to Prost. Piquet(sr) lost to Rosberg(k)

Sometimes the lesser driver gets lucky.

The WDC is always the best driver that year, have some respect, some may win I don't favour, but there it is

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

Khablam posted:

I'd like to know what drives a man to look at the field of drivers and go "yep bottas is my man".

He's the only driver who has done nothing of any note either on or off the track.

The same thing that happens when you look at the field and every other viable driver has an ironclad contract

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

fyallm posted:

Started watching in 2014, didn't know wtf I was doing so I read the OP and read the descriptions of each driver and Bottas stood out:

"77
Valtteri Bottas
Age: 24 | Nationality: Finnish | Starts: 19 Wins: 0 | 2013: 17th
Had a strong rookie season in an extremely poor car. Massa will be a good benchmark to measure his potential by."

The Williams pairing locked out the grid in Austria that year, hope was instilled that Williams was resurging, alas it was short lived

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

learnincurve posted:

Sky have digital media coverage now though. Sky Go as part of your satellite coverage and Now TV which is no contact streaming. Where it's looking good for the Americans is how close Carey is to Murdock and co. I would wonder if some sort of deal for the American broadcast rights to the F1 channel is already with the lawyers. Practically speaking it's just a case of allowing the yank IPs to use Now TV and making the channel available to them.

Using NowTV for F1 is crazy, might as well get the SkySports discounted subscription

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

Watching F1 legit is going to get more expensive for sure, when you have a takeover, it's not for the benefit of the consumer

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

1500quidporsche posted:

I seriously can't wrap my mind around how he melted down that badly with that car against Irvine in a gimped Ferrari and Frentzen in a loving Jordan with a Mugen engine. Like its just amazing to watch.

He knew he hosed up, a bit like Senna at Monaco

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

Theophany posted:

That's why the Paddock Club and corporate hospitality benefits for sponsors exist. Ain't no average Joes dropping 5 large on a paddock pass to sit and listen to Kimi do a monosyllabic Q&A or Checo barely string a coherent sentence together.

Thats what I love about LeMans the pitlane is open for the fans till racing commences

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

Just cam across this trying to get virgin login sky sports app if its of any use

Sky Sports Mobile If you want to stream to a tablet or phone, I assume its uk and ireland only (Proxy?)

Basically £9.99 a month, no contract (pack 2 for F1)

http://www.skysports.com/mobile/apps/9653846/sky-sports-mobile-tv

• Locked thread