Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

TheRat posted:

Brunost is loving amazing and I will fight anyone who says otherwise.

Come to Lyngen in 15 minutes if u want an rear end kicking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Which Lyngen tho

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:

See Boris, if you're going to be a gimmick poster, you have to keep it up in every subforum, otherwise someone will browse your post history and catch you out.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Guavanaut posted:

Let's play Finish the Headline:

I'm going with "grand plan to enslave humanity."

The headline is complete, he's doing it for his grandmother

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

For my granola bar.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall
tony blair is definitely anti-populist. He's the least populist option. Absolutely nobody would accuse him of being populist. Or popular.

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde

XMNN posted:

remember when everyone thought Teresa may had put a bunch of morons in charge of foreign affairs to sabotage brexit but then it turned out she was still going to do brexit its just she is also a loving moron

lol

She also supports some pretty abhorrent and nasty policies - this leaked today May drew up plans for children of illegal immigrants to go to the back of the queue for school places

quote:

Her department suggested schools could withdraw places offered to children if their families were found to be living in the country illegally.
The measures were dropped from the Immigration Bill, with Mrs May understood to be furious.

It turns out it was Nicky Morgan who had a conscience and basic sense of decency all along.

I knew about the repressed reports in rape statistics, and I chose to not affect my opinions (I know it was wrong, but I was putting it down as nobody being perfect), but this is a turning point for me - to deny children education based on their parentage? Vile. I don't think I can vote for my local Tory MP whilst she is PM. The sheen has come off her recently - she's as bloody useless as Corbyn at media strategy, she's not great at diplomacy (pointless review of Hinckley Point), she tries to bypass parliament and she thinks it's acceptable to deny children a fundamental human right.

I'm annoyed and ashamed of myself. Well at least it makes deciding in the next GE who to vote for a bit easier.

It's a shame Labour aren't making more of this. I hope Corbyn brings it up next PMQs - I don't think it got long enough attention today.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Milotic posted:

I knew about the repressed reports in rape statistics, and I chose to not affect my opinions (I know it was wrong, but I was putting it down as nobody being perfect), but this is a turning point for me - to deny children education based on their parentage? Vile.

She did a vast amount more evil poo poo than that as home secretary, worse than this.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

eg. Carting off students (including students with families) who were legally allowed to be here because they took a test the government told them to
eg. Sending LBGT refugees back to countries that are known to lynch LBGT people, with their name and that they're claiming they're LBGT a matter of public record. Don't even bother to care that most of them "disappear" almost immediately.
eg. Banning a UN human rights envoy from getting access to, and therefore investigating allegations of sexual assaults at, Yarl's Wood and awarding the company responsible for the centre a massive new contract when the old one expired

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Milotic posted:

The sheen has come off her recently - she's as bloody useless as Corbyn at media strategy, she's not great at diplomacy (pointless review of Hinckley Point), she tries to bypass parliament and she thinks it's acceptable to deny children a fundamental human right.

I'm annoyed and ashamed of myself. Well at least it makes deciding in the next GE who to vote for a bit easier.

not to rub the point but there's no such thing as an informed and conscientious tory. If you have a sense of morality and are well informed, it is not possible to be a conservative MP.

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde

MrL_JaKiri posted:

She did a vast amount more evil poo poo than that as home secretary, worse than this.
Edit posted before I saw your second one
I'm interested in the specific ones you think are worse than this - I've quickly gone through her Wikipedia article (my memory isn't great) and whilst some of the stuff she's done to individuals is bad, and removal of certain protections, I didn't come across anything like systematically denying children a fundamental human right because of something their parents did. It's also possibly that education is a bit of a needle mover for me, so I'd appreciate your viewpoint.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Milotic posted:

I'm interested in the specific ones you think are worse than this - I've quickly gone through her Wikipedia article (my memory isn't great) and whilst some of the stuff she's done to individuals is bad, and removal of certain protections, I didn't come across anything like systematically denying children a fundamental human right because of something their parents did. It's also possibly that education is a bit of a needle mover for me, so I'd appreciate your viewpoint.

refusing legitimate claims to asylum is a life or death matter. Also, wasn't the UN report into the UK housing crises under her watch? The one the UK replied to with "lol u cheeky fukken brazillian" I mean.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

FARAGE *click*

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Nonsense posted:

FARAGE *click*

Wait why is Liz in there

Also usual thing, edit the stick to say MANGA

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

Milotic posted:

It's interesting that removing someone's right to a quality education is the straw that broke the camel's back for you and not the covering up of systematic sexual abuse in immigration detention centres employing some spurious rationale that the negative publicity could harm the contractor's bottom line. I mean both are bad, absolutely, but if I had to make a choice between being raped without any kind of legal recourse, and not getting an education I know what I'd choose.

I'd kill myself.

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde

Spangly A posted:

not to rub the point but there's no such thing as an informed and conscientious tory. If you have a sense of morality and are well informed, it is not possible to be a conservative MP.

I personally don't think that's fair - it depends on how you view the centre ground - there's a lot of intersection between New Labour and the left of the Tory party. Nor are people homogenous. I would point to Macmillan as being a good PM.

I know, I know, I'm centre ground scum etc. Liberal. Swing voter. I'm to the right for this thread.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

TomViolence posted:

It's interesting that removing someone's right to a quality education is the straw that broke the camel's back for you and not the covering up of systematic sexual abuse in immigration detention centres employing some spurious rationale that the negative publicity could harm the contractor's bottom line. I mean both are bad, absolutely, but if I had to make a choice between being raped without any kind of legal recourse, and not getting an education I know what I'd choose.

I'd kill myself.

If we're going for third options, surely you should kill the rapist (and get away with it), not yourself.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Nonsense posted:

FARAGE *click*
Where's Wales?

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

dex_sda posted:

If we're going for third options, surely you should kill the rapist (and get away with it), not yourself.

C'mon we both know hope is a lie, even in hypothetical scenarios.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

TomViolence posted:

C'mon we both know hope is a lie, even in hypothetical scenarios.

You're right, I have made the gravest mistake: hope.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Milotic posted:

I personally don't think that's fair - it depends on how you view the centre ground - there's a lot of intersection between New Labour and the left of the Tory party. Nor are people homogenous. I would point to Macmillan as being a good PM.

I know, I know, I'm centre ground scum etc. Liberal. Swing voter. I'm to the right for this thread.

I view all concepts of centre ground as worthless because the evidence shows that centrist/non interventionist policy has absolutely no benefits and massive drawbacks.

We're all products of our environment and if I blamed everyone for that I'd be doing people a disservice but there's no such thing as a "good" centre or right wing policy. The existence of prisons is a demonstrable detriment to all members of the society they inhabit. The existence of non-regulated environments has never achieved anything but to make life worse for others.

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde

Spangly A posted:

The existence of prisons is a demonstrable detriment to all members of the society they inhabit. The existence of non-regulated environments has never achieved anything but to make life worse for others.

In your ideal society, what would you do with people who are sound of mind but pose a very probable danger to society based on past behaviour?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I think the top priority would be to not vote for them.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Milotic posted:

In your ideal society, what would you do with people who are sound of mind but pose a very probable danger to society based on past behaviour?

rehabilitation that doesn't involve iron bars. Norway has a great thing going where murderers build huts and learn to do engineering products on an island. That, but larger scale.

Also, this misses the point. The idea is to reduce crime, not punish it. These people don't exist in my ideal society, because their needs are met and they have a sense of dignity and purpose. That leaves only those of unsound mind, who can also be rehabilitated, but coming from a very different perspective.

This pretty much leaves out genuine sociopaths and I'm not sure I really have a problem with the current system of "Keep them in hospital until we have a clue how to treat this". Again, in the ideal society, we can treat this so it's not a problem.

The goal right now is to work towards creating that society while weaning ourselves from the dangerous idea that you can somehow scare people away from crime. Regardless of whether they are a product of their environment, a criminal through either need or emotional problems, or if they're simply morally depraved like a banker, there has never been any evidence suggesting deterrence works.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

Hell, in a punitive and profit-driven prison system like ours all you end up doing is churning out career criminals. People who come out of jail with a crack and/or heroin habit, new mental problems and abysmal employment prospects. Not only does deterrence not work, it actively stokes the factors that lead to crime in the first place. And thanks to the perverse incentives the profit motive introduces there is no reason for the prison industry to reverse or mitigate that course.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

TomViolence posted:

Hell, in a punitive and profit-driven prison system like ours all you end up doing is churning out career criminals. People who come out of jail with a crack and/or heroin habit, new mental problems and abysmal employment prospects. Not only does deterrence not work, it actively stokes the factors that lead to crime in the first place. And thanks to the perverse incentives the profit motive introduces there is no reason for the prison industry to reverse or mitigate that course.

Yeah I don't think we need to discuss ideal societies, we've got enough evidence that what's happening with Serco prisons and the general state of the current ones that we are seriously loving people's lives up.

I've talked about this before and a few thread readers have contacted me asking me if I had personal experience, especially when Spice came up. I've got some through the family and if anyone cared it's probably easy to see the posting gaps in my history and have a guess why there are extended periods where I don't post. Much as I have my own prejudices against the prison system, absolutely nobody I've spoken to in said system has been anything but absolutely pissed at the shambles the home office has been creating.

Recently a friend of mine applied to be a rehabilitation officer in Rochester and was told by his prospective employer in no uncertain terms that he did not want the job because there is no hope in the system right now.

It's probably one of the most immediately pressing issues in Britain today. I've seen people go inside for a bit of weed and come out thinking they're the big man slinging charlie. People in their twenties should not be abandoning all prospects of a civil life outside in favour of crime, but that is what is happening.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I think retribution is a valid reason for incarceration.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

Pissflaps posted:

:thumbsup:

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Pissflaps posted:

You're wrong.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Pissflaps posted:

Nah.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

Pissflaps posted:

There is strong evidence punitive systems do not improve quality of life for wider society

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Maybe turning the other cheek would be the Christian thing to do but if one of my loved ones was murdered I'd rather the perpetrator spent a considerable amount of their life without their liberty in austere surroundings than on a shed building residential.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean mostly I disagree that if retribution is what you want then prison is a very inefficient method of achieving it.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

OwlFancier posted:

I mean mostly I disagree that if retribution is what you want then prison is a very inefficient method of achieving it.

I don't consider efficiency to be an important consideration when meting out justice.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Pissflaps posted:

Maybe turning the other cheek would be the Christian thing to do but if one of my loved ones was murdered I'd rather the perpetrator spent a considerable amount of their life without their liberty in austere surroundings than on a shed building residential.

People touched by tragedy want blood. That doesn't mean blood should be given.

Any punitive system that assumes retribution as a goal by necessity will have to put people in terrible conditions, which are actively harmful to rehabilitation. This in turn facilitates recidivism, further crime, and as such, further damage to society - and that's ignoring the loss of contribution from the perpetrator themselves.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Nonsense posted:

FARAGE *click*

lol I bet the first draft had a star of david instead of a pentagram

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord

quote:

The UK would consider making payments to the EU after it leaves the bloc to secure the best possible access to the EU single market, Brexit Secretary David Davis has said.

About that £350 million a week for the NHS, well it turns out...

Carecat fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Dec 1, 2016

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

dex_sda posted:

People touched by tragedy want blood. That doesn't mean blood should be given.

Any punitive system that assumes retribution as a goal by necessity will have to put people in terrible conditions, which are actively harmful to rehabilitation. This in turn facilitates recidivism, further crime, and as such, further damage to society - and that's ignoring the loss of contribution from the perpetrator themselves.

I don't think blood should be given either but the loss of freedom? Sure.

I want to see prison conditions improve, and I want to see those prisons used for those whose actions have earned them a stay.

The loss of contribution can be compensated for by immigration.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Pissflaps posted:

I don't think blood should be given either but the loss of freedom? Sure.

I want to see prison conditions improve, and I want to see those prisons used for those whose actions have earned them a stay.

This is anathema to the goal of retribution, though.

Loss of freedom is a punishment. If we end our retributive ambitions there and make the stay productive for the inmate, we can benefit society.

This isn't a pipe dream, either. Scandinavian justice systems work, and I remember reading about studies saying the families of victims are more satisfied by the justice system's actions there. Unless you're implying we should lock up every criminal forever, you have to consider that they need to be rehabilitated so recidivism is lowered.

dex_sda fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Dec 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Pissflaps posted:

I don't consider efficiency to be an important consideration when meting out justice.

the right to efficient justice was enshrined in magna carta m8

• Locked thread