Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Web|RSS|Itunes|Soundcloud

Criminal, part of the Radiotopia collective, is a podcast about crime. But not in how you think. Hosted by award-winning broadcaster Phoebe Judge, Criminal examines crime from more personal, academic, and anthropological perspectives.

Like the episode where they interview a man who lowered the crime rate in his Oakland neighborhood by simply placing a Buddha in his yard.

Or where they cover the very real and very active Venus Flytrap racket going on in North Carolina.

Or the episode where they interviewed the inmate who collaborated for years via written correspondence with an editor at Merriam-Webster's to edit the latest version of their collegiate encyclopedia.

This podcast is very much recommended if you're burned out on True Crime non-fiction shows like Making of a Murderer and want something a lot more thoughtful. Most episodes are completely episodic and focus on one single incident. As of November 2016, there have been only a pair of two-parter episodes. Go ahead and give it a whirl.

Benny the Snake fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Jan 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
New episode on a St. Louis weekly newspaper and it's unique way on how it covers crime

Johnny Longtorso
Nov 24, 2007
The Man Who Comes In Pieces!
Phoebe Judge has the most soothing voice ever.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Johnny Longtorso posted:

Phoebe Judge has the most soothing voice ever.

I disagree, Nate DeMaeo of The Memory Palace does.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
For the final episode of 2016, Phoebe Judge profiles a pair of everyday geniuses.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
I've only just noticed this thread, but thanks for making it. I've been listening since they started and love the show. Every one is doing true crime stuff at the moment, but this is still one of the best just for the bredth of stuff they cover.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I've listened to every episode of this podcast but never saw the thread. I would say that it is hit-or-miss, but it really isn't, it's just that some episodes have more interesting subject matter. They're all really well done.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
Episode 58 is on Walnut Grove-an infamous for-profit youth prison and the horrors within

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
Episode 59-In Plain Sight.

• Locked thread