Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Harrow posted:

Looks like I'm grabbing Gravity Rush Remastered when I get home, then!

I got the original for my Vita when I was desperate to justify its existence but never really got around to playing it, and I wonder whether I should just get the remaster on the PS4. Same with Tearaway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

CJacobs posted:

The division is on sale for a relatively good price, should I buy it? Is The Division fun now? I heard it's fun now??

edit: For the record, I like games in its general genre, I just don't know if it's a good one or not.

Timely:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfbLGKNfrrU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

What are some 2017 releases to look forward to?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSz815Srub0

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Drawful is probably the best party game of the past decade. In comparison Tee KO is so cynically aimed towards streamers but it's not even that fun to watch since the period where everyone is focused on their phones is like ten minutes long

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Alpha Protocol has multiple endings which are substantially different in outcome from each other and do not just feature swaps of whether a character is present or not. You also can discover huge revelations about characters which dramatically change your understanding of the story and its outcome, or you can miss those and be totally oblivious as you proceed to an ending that feels just as complete but is totally different. It allows you to have conversations with people about that game where one of you will go, "Wow, I had no idea that was even in there."

You never have that with Telltale games, considering all branches will consolidate to the same thing. Not to knock it when it worked (Walking Dead Season 1) but it's definitely different.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I haven't played Firewatch, does it really foreground the "choice" aspect of things? Like, Titanfall 2 gives you dialogue choices and I don't think anyone is disappointed that there aren't branching paths.

Telltale games hammer you over the head with "YOUR CHOICE MATTERS" in the marketing and introduction of each episode, with all the little "X WILL REMEMBER THIS" notices, and the notes at the end of the game.

Life is Strange is limited in a similar way and features a lot of the same tropes, but at least the narrative is about the inescapable nature of fate so you are encouraged to temper your expectations by the end

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Armstrong literally says "Make America Great Again"

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Anyway the best game politician is Governor Marley from Monkey Island.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

glam rock hamhock posted:

Random question for the thread: what is the first game you ever beat? I think for me it was Ducktales (though I also think I played on easy).

Ciaphas posted:

First game I beat was Actraiser for the SNES. Maxed those towns out as hard as my little eight year old heart knew how. Felt good

I was thinking my first was Final Fantasy IV, but I remember that I owned ActRaiser and beat it so it must have been that. (I can hear the theme to the first act of Fillmore as I type this)

I only beat Duck Tales when I was in college and played it on an emulator. There are so many NES and SNES games that I have only beaten because of the introduction of save states into my life (I'm looking at you, UN Squadron)

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Dec 27, 2016

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

I'm trying to sit down and actually play HITMAN but I'm just sort of not sure what to really do

Lots of challenges and stuff but not much really telling me what I "should" do next perhaps in terms of difficulty or whatever, I dunno

Decision paralysis is a weiner

Look at the Opportunities for a mission, those are guided objectives that will get you in a good position for the hit or even complete it. Those will be the easiest way to complete the story objective. Once you complete a mission once you can choose to move on, or you can do the mission using different Opportunities or Challenges.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

I forced myself over the last hour to play a game and chose Paris again, because I still haven't opened the other levels on account of not really knowing what I'm doing

I wanted to try to get a kill with the sniper rifle from one of the gantries, like in the trailer, so I smuggled it in to the area below that stairway where the bozo is introduced

Instead I ended up overhearing someone say they had an invite to the auction, stole it, went upstairs (getting a challenge), (ed)sitting at the auction in my tux and getting a challenge for being Mr. Rieper, stole a cicada costume, garroted Dahlia in the bathroom (getting another challenge), found that she had lethal poison on her (:psyduck:), went downstairs, overheard yet another conversation about the other dork's favorite drink, stole a maitre'd suit, mixed it (yet ANOTHER challenge), poisoned him with it (challenge), and left (No Evidence, Master Assassin)

wtf just even happened

That is really good for an early "not really knowing what I'm doing" run!

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Yeah, Hitman is very much a puzzle game, if you look at the patterns long enough (and experiment, even if it ends up with you dying) you can see how to get in and get things done.

Seeing Silent Assassin Suit Only runs where players waltz through a room of hostile guards but always manage to be in everyone's blind spot and cause weird Rube Goldberg chain reactions is really cool

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

dear god i'm loving dying at this giant bomb hitmanning i couldn't breathe for about five minutes there

his first objective here is to kill Dahlia with a chef's knife while disguised as "HELMUT loving KRUGER" and uh, well, turn to 38 minutes in and watch for about a minute if this doesn't work

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUkOPrbj0yA&t=2280s

If you haven't seen previous Giant Bomb Hitman videos you should watch them, they are all quality content. Especially ones where Vinny is playing, and you get moments like this
https://fat.gfycat.com/GorgeousPerkyAmazontreeboa.webm

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

I mean, 2017-2020 is going to be infinitely worse.

I mean, if it keeps up morale for people to think of this year as a singular thing rather than the beginning of a long Dark Age, then more power to them

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

When I first started Bloodborne it took me six hours just to get past the first corridor in Central Yharnam. That is, the one street from the starting lantern to beyond the big bonfire.

Game is amazing

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Game of the Millennium is clearly Fanorona

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

The question about Bloodborne's backstory reminds me of a moment in Danny O'Dwyer's documentary on Doom (2016): A focus tester was confused, apparently, by just being dropped into the game and expected to fight demons. He said, "Why do I want to kill these demons? You have to give me a reason why."

Also in Bloodborne I think I went a couple hours before someone on these forums helped me realize you have two different melee attack buttons

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

I love HITMAN but the idea of doing suit only, silent assassin or not, leaves me loving mystified

How do you do anything without costumes, like getting into the third floor in Paris

This is actually really easy, there is an invitation lying around in one of the bathrooms that you can pick up that will let you waltz right into the auction

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Agent 47 is a lethal weapon.

If you win the auction Dahlia will meet with you in private Whoops, I totally mixed this up with the Helmut Kruger meeting. Some of the challenges are easier with unlocks, so don't feel like you need to do them all right away. For example, there is a starting point that gets unlocked that starts you immediately at the auction, which solves a lot of problems.

But you can smuggle a pistol to the third floor by concealing it in a food crate and then a staff member will take it past security

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Dec 28, 2016

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I am reminded that Hitman has some of the best NPC chatter of any game. I am partial to the line "Hey, there's somebody doing some KOs over here!" but

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eVZXyCQNl4

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Titan Souls looks cool

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

More than the Witcher comparison, I am skeptical that someone said Bloodborne is The Wire of video games, and even more skeptical that the point of comparison one would first make would be about the writing. Games are games, the core is the gameplay. The logic that Bloodborne should be as funny(?) and as biting a social critique of American institutions(?) does not follow

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I mean, I will agree with the fact that Bloodborne is at least slightly more arcane than most focus-tested AAA games. It does not have a maximally user-friendly tutorial designed to onboard you as cleanly as possible. Yes, there are those notes, but they are missable, and even the expectation that one would search for tutorial information within the game is an expectation borne out of familiarity with game conventions. If someone has only played games where you are forced to complete tutorial actions to confirm to the game that you know them, a game where that's not present can be confusing. (This is not to say that it needs to have it, as part of the allure of the game is in this kind of ambiguity and lack of handholding)

This ties back in to an earlier conversation where someone asked about how previously-accrued knowledge about game mechanics transferred over into other skills. It more often than not transfers into other games. And those friends who are not "gamers" that bounce off many games for reasons that someone posting in this thread would find utterly simplistic would probably bounce off Bloodborne

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Bicyclops posted:

only slightly better American McGee's Alice in terms of overall feel,

Uh, OK, this is where I go "what the gently caress"

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Reading the manual, also a thing most game players are not expected to do these days

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Bicyclops posted:

It's great at making you feel unnerved, but the reason these things are explained to you in most other games is because pressing buttons to make a person move is not a natural thing you should be expected to understand, and feeling unnerved for 20 minutes while a mad hatter caricature (whom I don't even know why he's trying to kill me) and I experiment with the controls while getting sent back to the hub zone is way less frustrating than a literally five minute "Here is how the buttons make your character move" tutorial.

I think it just requires a certain personality type to enjoy the game, then. The fact that I didn't feel safe anywhere and I kept dying, over and over for hours on one small area of the initial part of the game, is something that I look back on fondly

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

By the time I had gotten through the first part of Central Yharnam, I was so paranoid about my surroundings that I basically attacked everything including random barrels and boxes in case anything was trying to kill me. This eventually caused me to go apeshit on Eileen the Crow before she could talk to me, so instead she killed me. When I learned that she was a potentially friendly NPC that I had made permanently hostile it really made me think, "Wow, I can't believe the game got me into that state." Honestly I'm glad it happened before I got to the chapel, a teachable moment really

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Most sports games since the rise of the simulationist approach are incredibly obtuse for people who aren't already familiar with the sport and it's only been in the past few years that designers have gone back to thinking "Maybe we should try to be more user-friendly"

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

precision posted:

Dark Souls games should have optional quest markers.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I ended up drawing a map for the Forbidden Woods in Bloodborne. Every other area I eventually knew by heart

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

A game where every door asks you to take the square root of very large numbers to click on a specific pixel in a grid of 1,000,000 would be near-impossible for humans but trivial for computers

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Gio posted:

hope this is a decent thread to post this!

My fiance and I are looking to buy either a PS4 or an Xbox One and could use some advice on which to buy. I lean toward the latter, my fiance the former. Given that I haven’t purchased a system since 2001 when I bought a PS2, I could use some help.

I’ll try to be as brief as possible…

• I do not give a poo poo about most of the exclusive games either system has. Shooters are dumb and are for manchildren. VR is dumb, too, I have no interest. Not really interested in Kinect and whatever the Sony equivalent to it is.
  • Right now we play games on Steam, which is why I lean toward Xbox One. Can we play Steam games directly on the Xbox One, or is the only advantage that we can use the controller to play steam games (and emulated games)?
  • We play games on steam on her computer but it has difficulty playing most games. (She is getting a new laptop soon.) She likes to watch me play horror games like Amnesia, Outlast, and Layers of Fear. Though I haven’t played much of anything recently, I like a lot of dumb retro indie games on Steam like Braid, Rochard, Ori and the Blind Forest, Trine etc. I also like Zelda-esque adventure games; those are cool. I’m a big Portal fan as well. Are a lot of steam games like the ones above available for download on Xbox and PS4’s marketplaces?
  • We don’t have a blu-ray player, but we definitely would play blu-ray movies if we had the chance.
  • We have a (new) Apple TV for our multimedia needs.

Not sure it would make a difference if we got either one. I almost think just getting a better computer is the best option, but I really loving hate the effort of hooking up my laptop, booting up everything etc. I want a console. My fiance is getting a new laptop so we’ll probably end up doing both.

You cannot play Steam games on the Xbox or PS4. PS4 will have more "retro indie" games, and it also has a good exclusive horror game in Until Dawn.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

The PS4 can definitely play Blu-Rays, and since it's the same drive the PS4 Pro should too. The functionality it doesn't have is 4K Blu-Ray which requires a different drive.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Every time I click on this thread I see the image on the top of this page for a split second and I hate it so much

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzdhTGaWzec

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

In Training posted:

It's not comparable because every movie is consumed exactly the same way (except specialty cases like video installations)

Things like "difficult" art films make use of alienating stylistic techniques, lack of explanation or closure, and purposeful obtuseness, though, and they reward people who have a lot of knowledge of cinema history and form, and who want something more mentally taxing than just a story delivered to them. So on that level the analogy holds

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Klaus Kinski posted:

People using howlongtobeat to prove a point. Site in question says 15 hours for doom 2016 :psyduck:

I spent about 12 hours on Doom.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I spent 15 hours on Central Yharnam in Bloodborne

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

If only cheat codes were still a thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I have 385 hours played in Civ V. I have 195 hours in Civ IV, but that only counts from the time I got Beyond the Sword, so I probably have about 400 hours in that, too.

I have 70 hours in Civ VI, this holiday away from my PC is dragging my numbers down

• Locked thread