Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I endorse this title. Gabe bless us, everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Mario Maker 3DS doesn't have the capability for sharing levels? What the gently caress?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I haven't seen anything about RE7 that makes me want to play it just yet, so hopefully there will be more gameplay footage shown soon.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OVv-J-LXQU

The most grim future imaginable

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

tap my mountain posted:

RE5 is great but the tribal mask bosses are pretty hilarious

RE5 is in incredibly poor taste and that contributes no small part to why I love it so much

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Zenimax I think the evil within is a great game but I really doubt anybody anywhere is going to willingly misuse the evil within's copyright

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

StrixNebulosa posted:

I know that these questions can be answered with "just go with it", but uh - why would you send a special agent into a rescue mission with only a handgun and ten bullets?

And why can't he move when he's shooting? Even Harry Mason from Silent Hill could do that!

e: What the heck, why a typewriter for a save point? :psyduck:

All equipment is to be procured on-site, like in Metal Gear Solid. If the townies don't have guns then so be it Leon have fun being a pitchfork wielding spy

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
RE4 is the last RE game you can play with a controller because after that the controller setup becomes abysmal, so enjoy it.

edit: Or do what I did and play RE4 with mouse/keyboard, which is nice because you're not locked into an arbitrary turn/aim speed.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Ciaphas posted:

I still haven't played the other DLC for that

It's alright. The controls are very slippery, it's a love-it-or-hate-it kind of thing.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

chumbler posted:

So which video games have won the very important video game awards tonight?

I can't say because I did not watch

But what I can say is that I want a Schick Hydro character action game by Platinum now

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

StrixNebulosa posted:

Playing more Resident Evil 4 now and discovering that I did not miss QTEs. "sprint from bolder! press x+c to dodge!" no thank you game

You will learn to hate X and C even more as the game goes on. I think I died to every single X+C prompt that appeared in a cutscene in my let's play of the game

edit: RE5 is somehow even worse because their 'alternate button prompt' buttons are F+V. At least with X+C you can just move your A/D fingers down and hit it, you have to rotate your whole wrist in RE5 which is ridiculous.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Stux, unable to comprehend something extremely simple? Unheard of.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
You do. I didn't say you had to corkscrew your whole hand 90 degrees.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Sakurazuka posted:

That's what you get for playing a console game with a keyboard.

Did you play RE5 with a controller? That game's aiming feels so, so bad. It feels bad with the mouse too because they add this lovely artificial sway, but at least with the mouse you don't have a locked aiming speed.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Chomp8645 posted:

The whole time though I was thinking "man great game, if it only it just stuck to the cool tactical action and dumped the Anime Factor it would be even better!"

You should not play any of the other MGS games because that is what they are exclusively about.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Actually, play them all anyway.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Haha #53. I was able to get 12 of them on my own, but that's mostly because I have barely played any of the games on the list.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

I said come in! posted:

KNACK loving 2 JUST GOT ANNOUNCED HAHAHAHAAHHAHA

We knew about this a while ago, but still, neat.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
sorry did i just see the last of us part 2

DID I JUST SEE THE LAST OF US PART 2

edit: the way the crowd exploded when joel's beard came into view holy poo poo. that's literally how they, i, and everyone watching knew it was him

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I cannot believe how out-of-the-loving-park Sony knocked the hype ball with this conference. It's gone! It flew out of the park and down the road some and into some poor old lady's home!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

ImpAtom posted:

I genuinely think a LotU2 starring Joel and Ellie is dumb because the original was a well-done self-contained story that resolved itself quite well and we don't really need a second trip with them.

LToU made good use of its ambiguity and leaving things unsaid, especially in the ending, and the sequel will pretty much undo all of that just by existing in favor of a story that almost certainly will be less satisfying because both characters already reached the end of their narrative arcs.

The Last Of Us wrapped up its story pretty nicely while leaving just enough to your imagination that they could have done without continuing it. I'm very, very glad they are continuing it anyway.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I am more concerned about the play-dough thongs he is wearing. Like, you really could've just gone with no shoes at all, Akuma, I don't think anyone would've blamed you.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, there are a lot of games where 'make a sequel' isn't a big thing, but TLOU is one where I genuinely feel that a sequel shouldn't involve the same characters. I'll freely admit they may surprise me but I have a hard time thinking of anything (let alone a game) where I was really satisfied with someone 'coming out of retirement' for a story that was wholeheartedly finished in every reasonable metric.

Die Hard 2

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

ImpAtom posted:

Gonna say, wasn't very big on Die Hard 2.

That does however bring up Aliens, which I will say was a solid sequel for a finished story. (Of course then Alien 3/Alien Res/ect...)

I will agree that Die Hard 2 is slightly less good than Die Hard 1, which is itself incredible but not flawless. The Last of Us 2 will probably be the same way knowing the actual geniuses behind the first one- a slight step down, probably, but it'll still be one of the best games on the platform.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The first time I think I ever heard of The Order was in a review saying it sucked. :shrug:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Imo Uncharted 4's tone is all over the drat map and doesn't handle it very elegantly but it is otherwise a great game and is probably the best looking video game I've ever played. I'm sorry, Max Payne 3, you have been usurped in the insane sorta-basically-realism graphics department.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Except for the mine thrower, which can ride a box of mine ammo to hell (provided it can find any)

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Every weapon has a use! It's just that some of them, like the mine thrower, have so few uses comparatively that you should tell the merchant to go shove it up his rear end and instead buy a cool handgun.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Help Im Alive posted:

'my 2 favourite things? slavery + wang's kissing parlor' - jay rust 2016

Man, I miss classic Spelunky's graphics. The HD version just looks so... eh.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Yeah. If you kill him he just comes back next time he appears but if you kill him on pro he doesn't come back ever.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

oddium posted:

i replaced the entirety of spelunky hd's soundtrack with donkey kong country music and it was a good move

The only better option is the DK 64 soundtrack.

THE MERCHANT'S SHOTGUN CAN FIRE IN SPURTS
IF HE SHOOTS YA
IT'S GONNA HURT

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Let me explain why I feel that way then: The blocky pixelated look of the classic version made the game much, much more clear about where the boundaries of tiles and your character lie. It's hard to know where your hitbox is in Spelunky because your guy isn't one tile tall/wide. This leads to situations where you can get hit (or not get hit) by something that still physically touches you. But that problem is solved in the classic game, because your guy's hitbox is as big as they are.

Additionally, the HD version's graphics have all these extra little gubbins that poke out of the tiles and make it a bit harder to see where their corners are. There have been lots of times I've overstepped the edge of a tile because there was a pebble or something poking out that made it look like it went farther. Also, the extra stuff along the ground (trees in the jungle especially) can hide gold and even enemies from your view, which is very bad given how important it is to be aware of your surroundings.

edit: Also, I just like the pixelated look better than the cartoony look, but that's the subjective part.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Dec 4, 2016

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I will never be tired of sad dads in video games, I do not care how overused they have become in recent years.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XnKNOyCFlE

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I honestly really dislike the Zero games. They could have been fun to play, but the camera is so zoomed in and claustrophobic that it really sucks a lot of the enjoyment out of it for me.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

quote:

In actuality the name seems to be a play on words: Kuwagata is a japanese word meaning stag beetle. It's feasible that they combined "kuwagata" and "boomerang(er)" to come up with "Boomer Kuwanger", which then led to confused translators in America."

:eng101:

edit: Also, stag beetles rule because they fight each other for female stag beetles' affection by suplexing each other

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Dec 5, 2016

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I tried to look up a video of stag beetles doing sick suplexes on other stag beetles, but a bunch of videos of beetles owning huge spiders came up and as most of you know I am 200% not about that life. So you will have to look it up on your own, but trust me it's great.

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

I read Jojo, I know a lot about stag beetles fighting each other :anime:

:hfive:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Hell fuckin' yeah! Look at that little badass go!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Motto posted:

Neither DmC or DR3 were revivals? They were changes in direction for fairly popular series that failed to draw a wider audience like reboots are presumably meant to.

Please don't acknowledge, quote, or respond to Guy Mann.

Thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

tap my mountain posted:

Holy poo poo that dead rising ending, what a scam

It's actually crazy. Like, I have no idea what the developers could have been thinking when they made it.

• Locked thread