Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Merry Christmas guys! And Happy Hanukkah and all the other holidays I'm surely forgetting.

This month we come together to celebrate games, sales, and that mythical sighting: the Last Guardian is being released. I think? I hope?

Talk about it all here, in the chat thread!

PS What game do you want most for Christmas this year?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

FirstAidKite posted:

If you're reading this, happy december! I hope you're having a good day!!

The year's been pretty bad but let's hope that December can bring us a bit of end-of-year joy :)

Thank you! I hope you have a good day too!

I think the year's been bad, but at least for games it's been good - I mean, Doom came out this year and it was good, and the new Pokemon, and FF15, and mygod, those were all actually good instead of being flops. :yeah:

Not to mention the indie scene - Brigador's fantastic, and the Caves of Qud guys are doing well enough to work on it full-time, and Crypt of the Necrodancer is getting an expansion, and.... there's a lot of good going on here! I love it!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Looper posted:

I'm not looking forward to any of those games :(

But it's okay because I still have tons of Pokemon to play, and I've been working through late and postgame stuff in Tactics Ogre :)

We're also getting, uh -

from Gamespot this time (and lol at Kingdom Hearts 3 dropping ever)

Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney
The Dwarves
Maize
Rad Rogers: World One
Furi
Steep
Super Mario Maker 3DS
Arizona Sunshine
Dead Rising 4
Shadow Tactics
Last Guardian
Unspoken
Werewolves Within
Space Hulk Deathwing
Bastion
The Little Acre
Wild Guns Reloaded
Shantae
Super Mario Run
Eagle Flight
Walking Dead S3
Don Bradman Cricket 17
Rollercoaster Dreams

and I mean I'll probably skip all of those and buy discounted stuff at christmas instead, but hey, there's some neat titles in there!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

My pawn in Dragon's Dogma finally got used by another user! And they rated her a five in helpfulness! :woop:

(And a three in appearances but ehhhh I updated her armor she's much cooler now.)

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Palpek posted:

Shadow Tactics is apparently Commandos done well and also there's The Last Guardian so it should be enough to carry us into the new year.

As for X-mas games I'm looking forward to finally getting the new Hitman or maybe the new Deus Ex. There is also a group of indie games that are on my shortlist: The Witness, The Beginner's Guide, Firewatch, Inside - I'll see if any of them drop in price substantially. Dishonored 2 would be nice but I'll wait for a sale.

The Beginner's Guide is fascinating, but be warned that it took me 90 minutes to experience the entire thing, including breaks for cat feeding (IRL) and staring at things. I wouldn't pay full price for it.

fake edit: Good god, as I booted up Steam to check that playtime, Titan Quest dropped another update! Only a 4MB patch, but still! Games this old aren't supposed to keep getting updates!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Palpek posted:

You can watch it directly on Steam actually. There's even a sale going with The Witness being cheaper than on Black Friday for some reason and Dishonored 2 being 33% off already.

A convenient link for lazy people.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

https://twitter.com/epyoncf/status/804482084702187520

Everyone, please go and download DoomRL while we still can - it's one of the best roguelikes out there, and captures Doom perfectly.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

I've given up on the game awards to install Resident Evil 4 instead and see what all of the fuss is about

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

I know that these questions can be answered with "just go with it", but uh - why would you send a special agent into a rescue mission with only a handgun and ten bullets?

And why can't he move when he's shooting? Even Harry Mason from Silent Hill could do that!

e: What the heck, why a typewriter for a save point? :psyduck:

StrixNebulosa fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Dec 2, 2016

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

CJacobs posted:

All equipment is to be procured on-site, like in Metal Gear Solid. If the townies don't have guns then so be it Leon have fun being a pitchfork wielding spy

That would actually be kind of cool - the only pitchfork weapon I know of in games is in the Dark Souls 1 DLC.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Real hurthling! posted:

their chopper went down in the intro right?

No no we're here to rescue the president's daughter, I came in via jeep!

fake edit: Just found a corpse in a dress pinned to the wall with an axe and Leon's all "guess there's no sex discrimination here" and i

what

this game is great for all the wrong reasons so far :allears:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

Look at this bozo, never played Blood :mmmhmm:

(Also the four-pronged plow showed up again in DS3 [inexplicably, with 5 prongs])

I'll check that out, haha - thanks!

Looper posted:

Remember this was the transition from fixed camera pre-rendered background RE to modern TPS RE. The game was designed with your inability to strafe in mind!

the typewriters are a legacy thing

A dude ambushed me in a shack, I already hate the tank controls - but at least I know where the quick-turn button is, and I've figured out how to open my menu and apply healing items.

This game is pretty cool so far.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Real hurthling! posted:

set the controls to be only on the left stick with movement switching to aiming when you draw your gun. i was having a hard time with it until i did it and then it became really good feeling and natural. it does not play well imo as a 2 stick game.

I'm playing with mouse n' keyboard and it feels good so far - I mean, outside of no moving while shooting. But that's a kind of clumsiness that's making it feel more atmospheric, so it works!

Made it to the second typewriter after the church bells rang and the zombies quit attacking me, and y'know....this is a good game. Dated for sure, but appealing nonetheless and I yelped a few times when zombies lunged at me, so it's definitely working that atmosphere. :D

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Jay Rust posted:

They send an agent who doesn't speak Spanish to investigate the Spanish countryside, good job team

Don't worry, for some inexplicable reason the only important files he'll find are in his native language! :psyduck:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Playing more Resident Evil 4 now and discovering that I did not miss QTEs. "sprint from bolder! press x+c to dodge!" no thank you game

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

Yeah but the game's ungenerous checkpoints made it hard to enjoy having to redo a whole section because I tried to eat my Alpha-bits during a boring talky part.

Fantastic.

At least goofy scenes like this one make it all worth it!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Stux posted:

always find it weirid when people who play games have difficulty in pressing buttons that appear on screen

dude I'm sitting back watching the show, not leaning forward ready to push buttons I mean come on

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Stux posted:

its not a show, its a video game

And video games contain shows within them c'mon it's not hard

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Palpek posted:

Was the new Mass Effect shown?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOIzH6UcoW4

e: Actually skimming the video now - the mako is back! :woop:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

I feel particularly stupid as I play the Escapist: every time I steal a guard uniform, I manage to lose it through carelessness. :negative:

Why am I so bad at this game....

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

My god Mordheim's opening is long, wordy, and hilariously generic. The narrator's having such fun with it that I can't help but be charmed. :allears:

e: Whoa, the tutorial letting you play as a bunch of rats was pleasantly charming. I mean, they're nasty fighting rats up against cultists and demons, but! It's nice to be rats for once!

second, actually fake e: I'm shocked at how harsh the RPS review is for this game. That dude hates this game and doesn't want you to play it, and I'm shaking my head as I found myself pleasantly engaged in just the tutorial, and I'm going to boot it back up in a mo, see how the full campaign goes.

StrixNebulosa fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Dec 3, 2016

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

I came in here to rave about how good the shotgun in Resident Evil 4 is, and instead I found unfair dogpiling going on! <:mad:>

Has another else who's actually played the latest FF verify whether it's good or messy or whatever? I haven't played it, but likening it to Deadly Premonition makes it sound incredibly cool and experimental - which is what a good FF should be, in my opinion.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Spoderman posted:

The classic Shotgun is great for sure, but you don't hear as much praise about the Striker as you should

I have no idea what that is, and will look forward to wielding it whenever I find it! :D

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

The more I play Mordheim: City of the Damned, the more I feel that I should put it down and pick up Battle Brothers, as that has the exact same "small team of soldiers in a terrible world fighting for pay" with heavy emphasis on injuries and being ruthless with who's useful and who isn't, but the combat's faster.

And my god, the combat being slow in this game is frustrating. I was patient at first, but now I'm just... hrm. Hrm.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

It's by the Shadowrun guys, it was kickstarted, it'll be out in 2017.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

bloodychill posted:

Oh I kickstarted that, it does look good. I
thought this was something new like a 3D shooter similar to MW2 or Mercenaries.

I just googled in case I missed some kind of news and -

This!

quote:

After more than 15 years, MechWarrior is heading back to what the franchise was built on: a dedicated single-player campaign. MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries, a new stand alone title separate from Piranha Games free-to-play multiplayer title, MechWarrior Online, will be based around a story-driven single player narrative driven by player choice.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Looking at the Last Guardian reviews and ayup: it seems like it would've been better received if it came out back when it was announced.

I still want it, though. And the new FF game - but I can't swing a PS4 at the mo.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

I feel like the combat has a really methodical pacing, with tight controls and an emphasis on skill over arcade-y action.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

haveblue posted:

Add to that that real progress is measured in collection of inventory and unlocking parts of the environment.

Isn't that, like, zelda?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

It's a dumb webcomic, sure, but it kept me entertained for at least one year in high school, and for that I salute it. :patriot:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

I made the mistake of googling the maker of Fez and now I'm bummed when I look at the title of the game in my library - but I won't let it ruin an otherwise chill game. I'll give it a while and play something else, then return to fun exploratory puzzling.

....Which reminds me!

I think Hyper Light Drifter would have been perfect if the bosses were left out of the game, as they add nothing but tedious stress when I want to be exploring and finding more weird things.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Geh, How to Survive is basically a game like Diablo except you have to use a lengthy finishing move animation on every single zombie you kill. No thank you.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

The only game I feel like playing tonight is the Swapper, and I don't have the focus to do puzzles. :saddowns:

I tried playing some Broforce but I wasn't enjoying it, so I've mostly been reading instead and watching stuff - oh well. It's not like games are my job.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

The only Shantae game I have is Risky's Revenge - is this a series where it matters where I start, or is it more like Megaman?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

glam rock hamhock posted:

It doesn't really matter but they're all good and worth playing. In fact Risky's Revenge is probably the weakest one.

Okay, thanks! I'll boot it up, see how I like it.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Jay Rust posted:

I've never heard of Shantae before. Googling the name got me a pretty dry Wikipedia page that doesn't say much, but also got me a bunch of images of a cartoon lady doing sexy poses.

From my ten minute foray into Risky's Revenge, it feels like the SNES Aladdin game, but with more exploration and hair-whipping. I like it! There are apparently two games of it on Steam, and another one coming out at some point.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Jay Rust posted:

Beat Sunless Sea. Real good.

Should my next character be a pragmatic but hedonistic smuggler or a disgraced priest who would probably be okay with cannibalism?

I vote priest, that sounds way darker and interesting.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Boobs are great, skeazy boobs are not great. Shantae manages to feel fun and wholesome in its appreciation of everyone having skimpy outfits, and it works? None of the dialogue so far has been "woah boobs" or anything immature, and I'm fine rolling with it.

Honestly I almost want to compare it to Saints Row IV - there are boobs, there are sex jokes, but everyone rolls with it and is an adult about it instead of being a sleazebag. I mean, they're vastly different and one's cartoon platforming and the other is cartoonish platforming with super powers...

.... wait a minute, I think I'm onto something here.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

So I installed Strider, and it seems like a cool game - ninja fights his way through cyberpunk fortress to kill some overlord - which is exactly the amount of plot I want to deal with right now and I love it -

but the game keeps lagging and the steam forums are inconsistent on how to fix it, so... sigh. PC gaming. I love you, but I hate you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

I've been idly digging through my steam library to see what I've got that I forgot about, and - apparently I have Shadow Warrior, the 2013 one - and it seems fun so far.

I then spent a good ten minutes trying to figure out where I'd even picked it up from, as I never got it on purpose, and yep it was from a bundle. :v:

• Locked thread