Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I can't wait for Half Life 3 to come out!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I have a feeling that Death Stranding's either gonna be a real loving good videogame or a self-absorbed, pretentious wankfest that'll cause a lot of people to sympathize with Konami all of a sudden...

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Holy poo poo, they're actually making a new, singleplayer Mechwarrior game. :stare:

Be still, my beating heart.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Captain Invictus posted:

Randy pitchford is a terrifyingly bad businessperson.

Was he always the boss, like, back in the Opposing Fronts days or even just the BIA ones? Only heard of him during Borderlands marketing.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
This is just a friendly reminder that there are currently more people playing decades-old C&C games than there are playing Battleborn, released in TYOOL 2016.

:allears:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Looper posted:

What is wrong with Battleborn? I don't know anything about this apparent debacle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWl2Zgd0Qpk

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

haveblue posted:

I don't know anything about its actual quality but it was released with bad timing by a company some people have held grudges against for years, so the gloating will never stop.

Lol, I've only grown antipathetic towards Gearbox recently but I played the beta for BB and it loving sucked, bro.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Junior Jr. posted:

Just checked out the Ultimate Edition for Halo Wars 2 and it already has more value for money than EA's Battlefront ever did.

What a strange comparison.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

PantsBandit posted:

The monetization thing is probably real and a sign of how lovely valve is these days but I think the hype around it is a lame excuse. Hl3 would, at the very least, be a good game. If they made it and it didn't live up to expectations, whatever steam isn't going anywhere. It's just Gabe et al deciding they don't want to sully their reputation. Ironically I think it's much more pathetic to have the first two parts of a trilogy and then go "eh, it'd be too hard to make the third one live up to expectations, I give up."
What with Doom and Titanfall 2 (and Shadow Warrior 2 to an extent, but that took things in a different direction) I'd say there's proof that an excellent, linear FPS campaign is enough for people to love your game even if it doesn't reinvent the wheel or try to adhere to whatever game design trends are in vogue at the moment.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

In Training posted:

Its like that from the very first level

Yeah, difference being that I dig it. Do4m's level design never reaches the labyrinthine genius of the original games and its fanmade .WADs, being a series of monster arenas punctuated by platforming sequences, but those arenas and jumping puzzles and the shooting and the upgrade system are all so well designed that I never really got tired of it.

The original games are effectively timeless though, especially with its community's perpetual output, but the new one was still real drat good, even though I might never play it again. :shrug:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Man, thanks for reminding me how good Dead Space 1 & 2 were. It got less scary as you went on because of how powerful the weapons became, but man did it ever have good weapons. I know a lot of people swear by the plasma cutter but I was always a fan of the big boys: Line Gun and Contact Beam :getin: What's more, I played them on my lovely laptop and they ran amazingly well. I think the second game was somehow more optimized than the first!

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Mak0rz posted:

Also yes, a fully-upgraded Contact Beam is a really good way to cheese the final boss in like three shots.
And anything within a half-mile radius around you with its secondary fire...

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

PantsBandit posted:

Which leads into my other old man complaint: too much goddamn cgi. Cgi looking relatively realistic has led to a glut of over the top destruction. Jurassic park (the original) redefined special effects but it was confined to one trex attacking one group of people. It felt impressive but personal.
Yeah, I'm probably gonna sound like a grognard but CG still feels entirely "weightless" and my mind just processes it as "fake." Obviously it has its place and can achieve what practical effects can't, but I usually prefer to see it used sparingly, see Mad Max or (weirdly) the Fast and the Furious movies.

I also probably sound like a gorehound, but most big budget blockbuster fight scenes don't really do it for me anymore (though the Cap Am movies have decent fisticuffs); I prefer the bloodbaths of John Wick or the real, sudden violence of Green Room.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

chumbler posted:

Cherno Alpha shouldn't have chumped out like that, though :colbert:.

:agreed: :ussr:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Looper posted:

Also everyone go watch the hammer fight from Oldboy if you haven't seen it already

The knife v. baton fight from Sha Po Lang is another good one.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

bloodychill posted:

If Squadron 42 was release and was a good game, I would not complain. I am doubtful however. It was supposed to come out in 2014 I think.

Homie, have you considered just getting Freespace 2 and installing its approximately 1 billion mods?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

boy are my arms tired posted:

i think if people like mobas they should be able to play the mobas and enjoy it, if its league or hots or dota or w/e

I think people that like mobas should be locked up.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Dewgy posted:

:catstare:

Wolf:TNO was great. I hate to have to be the one to tell you this, but you might not have a soul.

Goons instinctively hate good and popular games because they are the antithesis to those values.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Crosspost from another thread:

Bumping this old-rear end thread because a big, new (final?) version of Mental Omega just came out.

MO is easily the biggest mod for RA2:YR and probably one of the biggest mods for any RTS. As of version 3.3 it boasts the following:

quote:

This release includes:

-A complete new faction: The Foehn Revolt
-12 new subfactions with their own unique sets of units
-52 new single player missions, including a campaign for Yuri
-28 new cooperative maps for 2 players
-new skirmish/multiplayer maps, around 500 total
-new skirmish/multiplayer game modes, 14 total
-updated visuals & audio
-a new soundtrack, unique for each side (separate download)

Each subfaction is unique and fully realized, both the singleplayer and cooperative campaigns are long and hard as balls, and the mod is fully integrated into CnCnet, meaning you can find a match without having to manually gently caress around with VPNs and the like.

So dig out those Yuri's Revenge CDs (or login to Origin or whatever) and get to Commanding and Conquering!

http://www.moddb.com/mods/mental-omega/downloads/mental-omega-330
http://www.moddb.com/mods/mental-omega/downloads/soundtrack-for-mental-omega-33

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

FirstAidKite posted:

Origin is okay but I prefer not having it open because I'd rather have everything running from 1 specific program instead of having to have multiple up and also I don't like that Origin freaks out and will disable the bottom right hand section of the screen from being clicked on until I close out of origin because for whatever reason origin will prevent you from clicking in the bottom right area due to its chat messaging system or something like that, I'm not sure of the specifics.

I dunno if I have red alert 2 on origin or not, but I never played vanilla red alert 2 anyway and I don't have game money that isn't steam card bucks so meh

They did give away ra2 a few months ago do maybe you have it.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

FirstAidKite posted:

Yup, just checked and turns out I have RA2 and its expansion.

I liked RA3 a ton and I heard the first two are even better but the thing I liked so much with 3 was the co-op so idk if I'd enjoy 2 as much

I can't remember, but RA2 might have some co-op levels and that mod certainly does. There might even be a seperate mod that makes the base campaigns co-op too.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Re: Movietalk, I saw Barton FInk yesterday and it was one helluva movie. John Goodman's one helluva actor.I really need to watch more Coen Bros. films, the only one's I've seen are that and The Big Lebowski.

And The Ladykillers. :downs:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Bicyclops posted:

I very much recommend Burn After Reading for an afternoon when you just want to laugh (J. K Simmons and Brad Pitt in particular are funny whenever they are on screen), Fargo for its general superbness, No Country for Old Men for a time when you can sit and think about it, Inside Llewyn Davis for a time when you want to hear some decent music or when you're frustrated about whatever your art is, and True Grit for a basically enjoyable Hollywood movie.

Oh yeah, forgot I'd seen True Grit somehow. Love that movie for simply being a real solid Western. Well, I'm at my mom's place in rural PEI over Christmas with a Netflix box and not much to do so maybe I'll catch up on some filims.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I watched Arrival a couple weeks back and was absolutely blown away, so now I need to watch Villeneuve's other movies, but the trailer alone for Prisoners is just harrowing.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Jay Rust posted:

Apparently their new engine (Lumberyard) is just an offshoot of their previous one (CryEngine)? If that's true, then it's not as funny as I'd want.

Yeah, it is so it probably actually isn't a big shift.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Me and my family finished watching The OA today, this Christmas eve.

Christmas is ruined forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Guy Mann posted:

This show is godawful, the finale is people stopping a school shooting with a flash mob.

Please spend the time you would spend watching it doing anything else instead.

It was definitely a hatewatch, on all of our parts.

• Locked thread