Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

glam rock hamhock posted:

Bangai O, Shenmue 1 and 2, Sword of the Berserk, Canon Spike, Marvel vs Capcom 2, Soul Caliber, Skies of Arcadia, Space Channel 5 part 1 and 2, Toy Commander, Jet Set Radio, Armada, Ikaruga, Typing of the Dead, Grandia II, Project Justice, Chu Chu Rocket, Virtua Tennis and Crazy Taxi to name a few.

Seaman

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I am glad that somebody besides me remembers Toy Commander.

That game was so much fun. It reminds me of Blast Corps even tho it really doesn't have too too much in common short of "perform a task, under a time limit, as these vehicles."

Also the ending is loving weird as hell for that game lol

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
the best Dreamcast game was "that disc that guy gave me with literally every SNES game on it"

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
The best Dreamcast game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXenxwdkaMk
Big ol' plastic booty, so :nws:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKl2sgevpKE

LawfulWaffle fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Dec 13, 2016

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

ImpAtom posted:

The Plasma Cutter is one of the overall best weapons in the game, yeah. It's just incredibly powerful, accurate, fast and good at effectively everything and if you don't buy other weapons you're swimming in ammo you can sell to upgrade your rig.
I definitely wish I could go back in time and not buy/upgrade the Force Gun, which I've been keeping on hand as a backup because it seemed to get a lot of praise on the wiki and the general consensus seemed to be that keeping two guns on hand would allow you to get plenty of ammo for both (whereas 4 guns would dilute it too much). If I hadn't already put power nodes into the Force Gun I'd probably just sell it, but welp. Hopefully I can make do with it for a while but man all it seems to do is push enemies back rather than actually damage them.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I definitely got use out of all the guns but it's been so long I can't remember what the Force gun was good for. I think something about its alt-fire?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
If you sell a weapon you get back part of the value of the power nodes you put in it in addition to its normal sell price.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Playing Resi 5 recently and one of the changes from 4 that annoyed me was barely getting any money for weapons if you've upgraded them. They were worth a ton in 4 but you barely get back more than the base cost in 5.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Sakurazuka posted:

I definitely got use out of all the guns but it's been so long I can't remember what the Force gun was good for. I think something about its alt-fire?
It's basically a shotgun. I guess it's good for killing a large swarm of those small fuckers, whatever they're called. Everything else though seems to require either emptying the whole clip (basically just pushing them back constantly) or putting them into stasis to carefully aim one blast at the limbs.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Sakurazuka posted:

Playing Resi 5 recently and one of the changes from 4 that annoyed me was barely getting any money for weapons if you've upgraded them. They were worth a ton in 4 but you barely get back more than the base cost in 5.

I think that's to discourage you from selling weapons until you replay a stage and get a second copy of a weapon you already own. You have the storage that obviates the need to only retain what you use, and that way you wind up with enough weapons for both players.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I don't remember much about Dead Space other than it basically being space RE4 but the limb thing was a really clever idea

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

While we talk about RE4 knock-offs - anybody remember Cold Fear? I thought it was pretty alright at the time. I don't think I finished it though.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Cavelcade posted:

I dunno, that seems like you're just giving up the only thing that makes Star Wars unique while constraining yourself to have to deal with all the stuff people will expect from that setting. :shrug:

A Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead kind of take on the concept, that explores characters on the periphery of the Jedi poo poo, could work. There's plenty of interesting things you could explore without lightsabers and telekinesis, hell aside from the climactic scenes even most of the OT movies are more blasters and spaceships than they are Jedi stuff.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Palpek posted:

While we talk about RE4 knock-offs - anybody remember Cold Fear? I thought it was pretty alright at the time. I don't think I finished it though.

Yup, I didn't play much of it though. I still have it on Steam and occasionally look at it and go eh :effort:

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Mak0rz posted:

I got the Phantom Menace game for Christmas one year and I couldn't play it because I didn't have a 3D accelerator card so I also got a Voodoo that year as a late gift lol

I want to say getting the card was the best thing to come out of getting that game but I actually enjoyed playing it way more than I should have.

I remember looking up a cheat list and one of them was "TURNTABLES" and when you type it in you get a message saying "The tables have turned..." I had no idea what the hell it even did until I went to Mos Espa and saw 15 foot tall jawas. :supaburn:

Never finished that game though, despite all the hours I put into it.

Was that the same as the one on PS1 that was 2 player and had some real bullshit difficulty, and every time you died it played a sound clip of Yoda giggling at you?
fake edit: wait, that was Jedi Power Battles

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cur6JeaCEdU

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Talking about Star Wars games makes me realize that it's been over a year since the last new Star Wars game that wasn't a mobile app, and it's not like Battlefront 2015 was a stellar release. EA's really dropped the ball with that exclusive license.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
I remember the Force Gun being good in Dead Space but I may have just been using it to make enemies back the hell off rather than kill them- in a game where the central gameplay conceit is cutting off limbs a big ol' space shotgun probably isn't gonna be the best.

Or I may be confusing it with the force gun in Dead Space 2, where things took on a decidedly more powertrippy bent vs the gnawing fear of the first game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzlVhOrt8CU

I like the first one more, but not by much. They're both pretty great.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Dead Space 1 is Alien, Dead Space 2 is Aliens.

Dead Space 3 is Alien vs Predator

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

FutonForensic posted:

Talking about Star Wars games makes me realize that it's been over a year since the last new Star Wars game that wasn't a mobile app, and it's not like Battlefront 2015 was a stellar release. EA's really dropped the ball with that exclusive license.
If Battlefront released in its current state of updates and add-ons it would have been a pretty good release. I should have gotten it on console to still have people to play with but since they patched bots in I'll probably play some battles this way from time to time like I did with the old Battlefront 2.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

Dead Space 1 is Alien, Dead Space 2 is Aliens.

Dead Space 3 is Alien vs Predator

I wouldn't say DS3 was that bad but it wasn't the game they should have made at all. It was one of the most obviously corporate-meddled games I can think of. And hilariously the developers completely and utterly undercut the microtransactions which meant it wasn't even good at syphoning your moneys.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
It's honestly more Alien Resurrection in that it has a bunch of things that aren't bad ideas on their own but combined with the franchise just ruin everything.

It is annoying to see a series with 3 great games killed by 1.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
Hello games chat thread

It's near the middle of December in Indiana and snow is falling by the truckload. This usually almost never happens this early into winter in my state

It's beautiful

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

FutonForensic posted:

The expansion pack for The Old Republic just came out and that is pretty good. But yeah, Battlefront was pretty disappointing so i'll probably pass on Battlefront 2.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

glam rock hamhock posted:

Because 3D tvs never took off and in general it was hard to play it like that for very long. Even the 3DS, which came with no glasses 3D, kind of backed away from it because it just wasn't pleasant to play for too long

This is from a while back but:

The only 3DS game I could play with 3D on for any length of time was Bravely Default. I don't know what it was, but it was the only one that didn't almost immediately give me this weird feeling in my head and the back of my throat. Not a headache, per se, just weird. But Bravely Default was fine. Maybe because the 3D made the cities look like a cool pop-up book or something?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I wanna play DS1 again now, I never did get all the 'cheevos. But then I think about trying to get the asteroid mini-game one again with a controller. :gonk:

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Oh god I forgot to complain about that! I'm on a PS3 and that asteroid mini-game sucked a whole lot!!

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Man, thanks for reminding me how good Dead Space 1 & 2 were. It got less scary as you went on because of how powerful the weapons became, but man did it ever have good weapons. I know a lot of people swear by the plasma cutter but I was always a fan of the big boys: Line Gun and Contact Beam :getin: What's more, I played them on my lovely laptop and they ran amazingly well. I think the second game was somehow more optimized than the first!

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Does the X-Wing VR mission for Battlefront count as a "new" star wars game? Because it's pretty great.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

I never did play Dead Space 2. I guess I should get around to that, I did like the first one on PC a lot. My favorite death was when that one little spider thing rips your head off then digs its tentacle leg things into your neck hole and starts drunkenly stumbling off, scooping its head back in when it starts to slip out.

precision posted:

It was Mafia 3 that really put me in mind of that. The first 10 hours or so of Mafia 3 are absolutely amazing. After that it never gets bad but it does become somewhat of a generic open world with repetitive quests. I could see how someone with less patience would want to skip the empire building and go straight to the endgame.

Like I'm aware there are problems with what I'm proposing but, as with all things optional, anyone who complains about it can just not do it.

Remember how much people bitched about Vitachambers in Bioshock because it made things "too easy", even though if you didn't want to use them you could just reload a save when you died (and even had an in-game option to automatically do so shortly after the game came out)

People will never blame themselves for a game being unenjoyable, even if they're the ones making it unenjoyable for themselves. Like how Titan Quest's chances at success got ruined by people complaining about a bug that was only in pirated versions of the game.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I always liked how Dead Space made your health meter part of the main character's suit. It never seemed like a particularly useful place for it to be for Isaac, but as the player, it's pretty neat.

I care way too much about nice-looking health meters in video games, I think. I don't know why. More than any other part of the UI, I want to see a nice, readable, aesthetically-pleasing health meter. I fully acknowledge that this is probably a weird fixation.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Dead Space 2 is a very good game, it expands on the original in all the right ways. Comparing it to Aliens is very accurate and the devs themselves said as much at the time.

Harrow posted:

I always liked how Dead Space made your health meter part of the main character's suit. It never seemed like a particularly useful place for it to be for Isaac, but as the player, it's pretty neat.

I care way too much about nice-looking health meters in video games, I think. I don't know why. More than any other part of the UI, I want to see a nice, readable, aesthetically-pleasing health meter. I fully acknowledge that this is probably a weird fixation.

It was also neat how it was present (and accurate) on the other characters.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

ImpAtom posted:

I wouldn't say DS3 was that bad but it wasn't the game they should have made at all. It was one of the most obviously corporate-meddled games I can think of. And hilariously the developers completely and utterly undercut the microtransactions which meant it wasn't even good at syphoning your moneys.

I bought DS3 used for like $4 a few months back and never had a chance to play it because we moved provinces and never had enough room for the Xbox. It's still sitting in a box at my in-laws.

Mordja posted:

Man, thanks for reminding me how good Dead Space 1 & 2 were. It got less scary as you went on because of how powerful the weapons became, but man did it ever have good weapons. I know a lot of people swear by the plasma cutter but I was always a fan of the big boys: Line Gun and Contact Beam :getin: What's more, I played them on my lovely laptop and they ran amazingly well. I think the second game was somehow more optimized than the first!

Dead Space is easily one of my favorite games ever made, but that's not surprising considering RE4 also holds that title and Dead Space is basically RE4 but in space.

Also yes, a fully-upgraded Contact Beam is a really good way to cheese the final boss in like three shots.

Harrow posted:

One of Dead Space's shticks is that they wanted to make it HUDless. It isn't truly HUDless, but they did manage to make the HUD a part of the game world, rather than some numbers and poo poo pasted to the screen. Health and stasis ammo appears as the RIG (the thing on peoples' backs), weapon ammo counts show up on the weapons themselves, and the menu appears as a projection coming from Isaac's suit. It was pretty brilliant but I couldn't see poo poo when I first played it on my roommate's SDTV back in the day.

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Dec 13, 2016

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
By the way, if any of you haven't played the Dead Space rail shooter, do so, it is really good to the point where I would say it's one of the very best games in the genre.

Wii version is ideal because who the hell actually has a move but the PS3 version plays fine with a controller.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Mordja posted:

the wii dead space is a good lightgun game

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Mak0rz posted:

Also yes, a fully-upgraded Contact Beam is a really good way to cheese the final boss in like three shots.
And anything within a half-mile radius around you with its secondary fire...

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
The wii got a lot of good rail shooters, huh

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Another health meter thing I like (I have these, apparently?): when they get longer as your health increases. Not always practical, but I like it when it is. What I don't like are health meters like Dragon Age: Inquisition where there are marks on them that signify certain numerical increments and as your health increases the distance between the marks gets smaller and there are more marks. It's so much less readable!

Mak0rz posted:

One of Dead Space's shticks is that they wanted to make it HUDless. It isn't truly HUDless, but they did manage to make the HUD a part of the game world, rather than some numbers and poo poo pasted to the screen. Health and stasis ammo appears as the RIG (the thing on peoples' backs), weapon ammo counts show up on the weapons themselves, and the menu appears as a projection coming from Isaac's suit. It was pretty brilliant but I couldn't see poo poo when I first played it on my roommate's SDTV back in the day.

Yeah, in-universe justified HUDs are generally pretty cool when they're done well. A lot of first-person games do it--that's pretty easy, just say it's projected on your helmet's visor, Halo or Metroid Prime-style--but pulling it off in a third-person game that doesn't also have a "no health meter, regenerating health" thing going on is pretty impressive.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

"Oh you'll have to fight the boss 8 more times" is a real threat in Illbleed because Illbleed would totally do that

Game doesn't give a gently caress

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

My favorite part of Illbleed is the killer called Killerman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I appreciate having the map HUD be in-game but I really wish it was easier to see/pan around in.

• Locked thread