Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I maybe want the Switch. Still need to know way more about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

This is Castlevania II levels of ugly color palette. What is this poo poo?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

KNACK loving 2 JUST GOT ANNOUNCED HAHAHAHAAHHAHA

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I was flipping the gently caress out over the PlayStation Experience presentation. I had not been that excited for video game announcements in awhile. All of it looked incredible.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 by the way is a timed exclusive on PlayStation 4. It comes out on Xbox One and PC in March.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Sony has had some bad games this gen, and the negative noise towards the Last Guardian is getting louder. It's sounding like the Last Guardian might actually be the worst game of 2016.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Isn't it more that it's a game that's out of place today but would have been much more welcomed had it somehow miraculously made it out by the end of the last generation when it was supposed to?

Yeah that is the way I am feeling too. The controls from what I am being told are only acceptable if this was actually the beginning of the PS3.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

funny Star Wars parody posted:

Hi guys

I'm playing video games right now

I'm playing Final Fantasy XV right now and I picked up Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 for PS4 today.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Final Fantasy XV is really good. The storyline is fine, people are exaggerating. The game is about 4 bros on a roadtrip, the story is told through their perspective and what they see, it makes sense that we are not going get told every single little detail. You can watch Kingsglaive if you want to know more of the backstory.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

People are really not exaggerating.

The storyline is a complete mess. Plot events are obviously slotted in from unfinished storyline events, characters vanish and appear for no reason, the game goes full Xenogears Disc 2 later on, it's honestly a huge trainwreck. It isn't even just "well, it's from their perspective" because things from the character's perspectives are also weird and disjointed.

However the game is still really fun. You just have to acknowledge that it's like 3/4ths of a game they frantically stapled together to get a functional product in time for release and they clearly prioritized gameplay over story.

Edit: Like honestly and straightforwardly, if I listed off FFXV's problems it would sound like an unplayable trainwreck but the actual execution is more charming than annoying. I can unironically compare it to something like Deadly Premonition where it is janky but janky in a really engaging way.

lol you have got to be making GBS threads me.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Stux posted:

if impatom says something, assume the opposite

For once I agree with you on something.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Beyonetta 2 would have been so much better on PS4. So much of the games otherwise brilliant presentation is held back by the really weak hardware of the Wii U.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Wildtortilla posted:

Nothing kills my motivation to continued playing a game if there's an open world with MMO-style quests involved. I never finished FF13, and I suspect I'm an outlier here, but I made great progress during the linear part of it and petered out in about two days after I hit the open world.

imo you finished the game if you finished the storyline.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Quest For Glory II posted:

If you have to climb a thing to reveal the map, the game is probably bad

Horizon Zero Dawn is taking a page out of UBISoft games and doing this. I vomitted in my mouth when I saw that.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Lurdiak posted:

Isn't that game just a straight line.

Pretty much yeah. It's a lot more linear then it tries to portray itself as.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Sony should honestly give you a mode where you have far more control over Trico.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Palpek posted:

So is The Last Guardian good or not?

Trico is a stupid motherfucker that doesn't obey your commands, much like a real cat. It's debatable whether or not this is a good idea for a video game where getting Trico to do what you want is required to progress. And like this isn't bad design, Sony did nothing wrong with the AI for Trico, they intentionally wanted to mimmick animal behavior with humans and they did that perfectly, it's just kinda confusing as to whether or not this was a good idea or something that should have been done.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

oddium posted:

hideo kojima wanted to take a picture of a bag and got embarrassed because the star wars lady was looking at him

https://twitter.com/HIDEO_KOJIMA_EN/status/808217753677021184

I'm so excited for Rogue One, I am going to see it on Saturday. I hope Hideo Kojima loves it too.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Which platform was Aladdin better on though?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Harrow posted:

At least it's not releasing the same weekend. That'd be a bloodbath.

The Assassin's Creed movie is going to be bad, right? I can't imagine it not being.

The trailers make it look horrible, I can't imagine it being a good movie.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Snowy posted:

I'm trying to find a Red Dead Redemption thread but I'm having a hard time on the Awful app. Anyone have a link to it if there is one that might have news about the PS Now release and RDR2?

Westworld made me need more Wild West savagery.

I don't think it's around anymore. But for real, when you get right down to it, the online is basically Westworld. :eyepop:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

How come 3D never took off for games? Or does it really not matter anymore now that VR exists?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

LawfulWaffle posted:

Persona 4 has more in common with Twin Peaks than I thought, with characters' dark sides and needing to accept them. Plenty to appreciate but plenty that seems like being mysterious for the sake of being inscrutable.

Nah, keep playing, it makes perfect. The concepts are really easy to understand. Persona 4 wasn't really about accepting your dark side, but about being true to yourself and not putting on a personality for other people. This is what the TV and references to TV shows symbolize and why that is such a big theme to the entire game. All of the characters have something that they want to hide from others because they are ashamed of what others will think, but by the end of the game they come to accept that they cannot live that way.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

FutonForensic posted:

Talking about Star Wars games makes me realize that it's been over a year since the last new Star Wars game that wasn't a mobile app, and it's not like Battlefront 2015 was a stellar release. EA's really dropped the ball with that exclusive license.

The expansion pack for The Old Republic just came out and that is pretty good. But yeah, Battlefront was pretty disappointing so i'll probably pass on Battlefront 2.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Sakurazuka posted:

Don't go into work if you're sick and possibly make the people you work with sick too tia

My job doesn't give a poo poo and it comes down to getting fired or getting everyone else sick. My city thankfully forces mandatory sick time of 1 hour of paid sick time added on every week.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Palpek posted:

There must be more to successful mobas than just the fact that they're complex and Blizzard's moba being easier and still being the third most popular one proves it. Otherwise a known brand and money investment would be enough to make a new moba popular and it has been shown time and time again with big failed moba titles that it's not that easy. It's most likely about balance and mechanics that make a good moba truly competitive but I have no idea about the genre outside of the overall concept.

I still don't understand what it is that is making MOBA's successful in the first place. What do people love about them? I don't understand League of Legends and its appeal. How is something so complex and with such a steep learning curve so popular?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Rogue One was so incredible, I need to see this movie again. Loved everything about it.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Lizard Wizard posted:

I'm also not sure how I feel about the all-female elite soldier unit and bosses in MGS4, but I never beat it so :shrug:

The bosses were just really lame in MGS4, it was disappointing after how unique they were in Metal Gear Solid 1 - 3.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Lurdiak posted:

Rich Evans, what did you think about MGS5?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUytlAKC9Rg&t=1098s

Yeah... that's about right.

I thought this was a good watch, even over a year later I still like discussing this absurd game. I wish MGSV had more crazy cutscenes. I wanted a game with 2 hour cutscenes that you couldn't skip, that is what I think of when I think Metal Gear Solid. Being open world disappointed me the most.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Is this Samsung TV okay to get for 4k and HDR? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DUTL4OI/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=21XDLHC3RLL2&coliid=I37US9BAE6JKCI&psc=1

I have a PS4 Pro and Xbox One S now so I may as well make the step up to 4K.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Real hurthling! posted:

Ks8000 or bust.

Ooh man, that is a nice TV, just a bit out of my price range. Will I be missing out a lot by buying the Samsung I linked?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The Assassins Creed movie is reviewing worst then I expected. Like I knew this was going to be a terrible film but not this bad.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Help Im Alive posted:

Why do they even bother making video game movies

I enjoyed Warcraft at least :/

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

On the plus side the Uncharted movie was canceled.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

In Training posted:

I got to the prison stuff in rogue galaxy. Idk what changed between the last planet and this one but now my AI guys die instantly at the start of every fight

Rogue Galaxy is a very grindy game. You're just underpowered.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I'm irrationally upset that the Blade Runner sequel is a real thing and the teaser came out today. I feel very strongly that this is a thing that shouldn't exist and it's pointless.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Snak posted:

Me too. I haven't watched the teaser yet.

I really like Denis Villenueve, and he can probably make a good film. It's just... Blade Runner was a perfect self-contained package. A spin-off or sequel that didn't contain any of the same characters would probably be fine, but I am not happy about this idea.

Harrison Ford is in this too, which makes me even more upset because I originally thought he wasn't going to be in this which would have soften the blow. How is Harrison Ford even still alive?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

bloodychill posted:

I wish instead it was another Judge Dredd movie from the Dredd people. That movie was just a lot of fun. The team wanted to make another but last I heard they were having trouble getting funding.

Two sequels were planned, they aren't being made though. Karl Urban was totally on board too.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

precision posted:

I did it, Ray. I looked at the battlenet forums. :suicide:

The Battle.net forums are gross on a normal day, the Overwatch general discussion forum is terrible right now and full of bigotry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Dr Cheeto posted:

You should have seen the Blizzard forums when people got mad about Tyrael being black, hoo boy.

I forgot about that. There's still a sizable portion of the population that gets offended by diverse characters in media.

• Locked thread