Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Hello everyone. Please play this game about sentient corn

http://store.steampowered.com/app/284240/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Ciaphas posted:

Played Ori and loved it

Ori is easily one of my most favorite platformers of all time, not even from a level design perspective or anything, but just because the movement in that game is SO drat satisfying. The running and the jumping and the double jumping and gliding all just feel so so good. Nothing about it is clunky.

Is Shantae coming to WiiU as well? I'll probably buy it there so I can play it on vacation.

Also Overwatch his game of the year and Darkest Dungeon is second best game of the year. Downwell is third best even though it came out last year cause I didn't play it until this year PEACE

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

How does the platforming feel in the new Shantae? I don't mean level design wise, just like the general feel of her controls and her jumping and attacking and stuff. I made a post earlier about how much I love Ori's platforming in that way and wanted to know how Shantae is? Well and also I guess also how the level design is. I'm not expecting Tropical Freeze levels here but still. Wayforward's remake of Ducktales was really really good

edit: I think what I liked about Ori so much was that it felt fast. I love Shovel Knight to death but I will admit it feels a little slow, Ducktales too. Where does Shantae fall in that

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Dec 11, 2016

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Nate RFB posted:

I'd call 1/2 Genie Hero's controls "responsive to almost a fault", it's all very sharp and snappy moving around but I definitely have to be careful to not be too twitchy. I've had a couple of spots of trouble trying to time some very specific jumps because even the slightest bit of movement was causing me to drop when I didn't want to. In general though it feels very good! I do wish Shantae jumped a bit higher, there's been a few sections where I've had to transform into the monkey for literally one random platform and that's kind of a drag for the 1-2 seconds it takes to do the transformation when you're only in that form for the jump alone. In terms of speed it's probably somewhere in the middle between Ori and Shovel Knight, though I'm not sure I'd be able to notice much of a difference.

I've been revisiting levels a lot to see if any new powers are unlocking new sections and surprisingly that has been rather slow going, it seems like I'll take a step forward and two steps back. Like you get the crab transformation to go underwater, but then every underwater section in the first world also requires one or two other upgrades.

chumbler posted:

This is pretty accurate to my experience with the game. Very snappy is a good way to describe it, and led to my only real complaint with the game control-wise, which was that jumping between moving rings was trickier than it maybe should have been because a slight twitch would mean missing. Until getting basically the space jump I'd often just run around in monkey form for the better jumping, and I think it was slightly faster as well.

The exploration I didn't really have a problem with once I got a better feel for the one or two big maps per world. I think I still couldn't find one of the heart containers at the end, though.

Edit: I still wish Shantae had a Mega Man X dash, but I wish that of literally every platformer.

Thanks gang! Looking forward to it!

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

What's everyone's favorite game they played this year that didn't come out this year? Mine is Downwell

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Saying "just go pay the extra money to see it in IMAX" in response to someone saying they aren't interested in the movie in the first place seems like a weird move

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

PLAY WITCHER 3

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I'd try harder for that Genji skin in Heroes if the control scheme for mobas wasn't so poo poo. I can't stand games where the movement is click to move.

The game looks very nice though, Blizzard kills it in the art department

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Hello Chat Thread. I just bought Super Mario Run and it's basically a Game of the Year contender for me, even against something like Overwatch. It's literally the game I have asked for for years and years: A game that's only DKC mine cart levels. Except it's Mario instead of DKC. They're my favorite type of platforming level in the world, so an entire game of just that is EXTREMELY my poo poo. And it's not loving procedurally generated bullshit like every other "runner" game. It has actual designed levels. There's a level in the clouds with a bunch of bullet bills that was just :pachameme:. I hope they keep adding in levels because this game is what I've always wanted. Sure it's not widescreen on my HD tv but that's a minor complaint really.

Also if I turn off the music, leave on the sound, and then have an extended version of one of the rocket barrel level themes from Tropical Freeze going while I play, it's a perfect game. 10/10 not even joking. Thank you Santa. Well 9.5/10 cause if it was DKC mine cart themed it'd be 10/10 but anyway

Now please give me a Super Mario Rocket or some poo poo so I can get a game of only rocket barrel levels

:toot:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Adam Bowen posted:

It's extremely good but it makes me really sad to see the huge backlash against it because they dared to charge loving $10 for it, as if that's unreasonable because the app store is full of garbage that only costs $1

Yeah, I'm extremely confused by it. When I first heard that the game was going to be $10 I thought "that's pretty reasonable!". Now all I see is people bitching that it's either A) not free or B) "If it was $5 I would get it"

????????

This game has a pretty good amount of content first off, so I don't see why $10 is too much but five less is acceptable. And thank loving god the game isn't free cause that just leads to the problems that most other games have. I thought Best Fiends was great, but if I could just buy the game outright instead of waiting to play again or paying money to play again I'd have kept playing it. Super Mario Run is how mobil games should be done

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Guy Mann posted:

There's nothing in the description on iTunes that says that you have to pay $10 to unlock everything past the intro aside from a single * off towards the bottom that you have to go out of your way to expand to read, I think getting upset that a game lists itself as free and then once you've gone to the trouble of downloading and installing it goes "PSYCHE! Pay up, sucker." is perfectly reasonable.

The bitching I see isn't from people who did zero research of the game and blindly bought the game. It's simply that the game costs money at all.

But even still, the fact that the first 3 levels are free and then you can buy the rest of you like the game is AWESOME. So not only does the game just let me buy it outright, it has a demo of it so I could even see if I would want to buy it.

I just don't see it as "PSYCHE! Pay up, sucker" I see it as "here's a demo of the game, buy it if you like it!". If you feel ripped off cause you didn't research it at all and assumed you were getting a free Mario game well :shrug:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Real hurthling! posted:

what xmas movies is everybody planning on watching? i'm a scrooged guy

National Lampoons Christmas Vacation

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

bloodychill posted:

Elf, Scrooged, and Christmas Vacation. Maybe some Home Alone. Christmas Story used to be my favorite but I've seen it too many times since TNT did the 24 hours of Christmas Story thing.

I absolutely hate Christmas Story and loathe it everytime my family watches it on Christmas Eve.

Here's a summary of the entire movie: *kids scream at the highest pitch possible* *repeat this for basically the entire movie* *dad gets a creepy leg lamp* *stupid rear end screamy kid shoots his eye out just like the mom said he would* *kids scream at highest pitch possible at all times*

God that entire scene where the stupid kid gets his stupid tongue stuck to the post, it's just like 10 minutes of window shattering screeching. Why would anyone like that movie

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Lobok posted:

In this update on a Twilight Zone classic, a man relishes his newly post-apocalyptic wasteland of a town to be able to catch up on playing videogames, but just before he sits down to start playing them he realizes his generator is has run out of diesel.

Incidentally there's a Twilight Zone marathon happening right now it's so much better than watching some screech monster get shot in the eye and be scared of being beaten by his dad

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Jay Rust posted:

What are some 2017 releases to look forward to?

Yooka Laylee, Cuphead, the Shovel Knight DLC, and THE NINTENDO SWITCH, BABY :cool:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

WickedHate posted:

I have a PS4. I am thrilled with it. It is a wonderful machine and there are several games I'm excited to play on it, eventually. However, what I really, really want right now is to play Vanquish. Can I get it from the Playstation Store? Will it work? If not, I'll cry, probably.

Play Until Dawn

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

WickedHate posted:

Maybe. Why?

Cause it's good

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Lurdiak posted:

I'm playing the new world of warcraft expansion and I'm sad that you can't get demon hunter weapons that don't look like gigantic cosplay props. There's all these demon hunter npcs in Burning Crusade that have sensible sized weapons but all you get to use is

Like c'mon now.

I think those look awesome (and I agree with the giant shoulder thing another poster mentioned, giant shoulders rule), but if you want to make terrible fashion choices you can transmog them to look like a billion other different things. I'm fairly sure glaives can be transmogged into swords. On top of that, you get your artifact weapon pretty quickly after finishing the DH starting zone and there are optional looks you can get for them (that takes a bit longer than simply farming some old dungeons for a weapon look you want though).

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Snak posted:

The problem with lowering the difficulty is that is would just make the game lovely. If the game were "easier", you could get through it just by spamming R1. Everyone would do this. 90% of players. People would be like "this game is a repetitive bore-fest. The gameplay of forcing you to learn different tactics and how to use them effectively IS the game. Turn-based souls would be the worst turn-based RPG ever. It's okay if souls games aren't for you. People like different things. The solution is not to make those things try to appeal to everyone.

Why not? Put in an easy mode that people can ignore if they want, and boom done. You say it "makes the game lovely". This would have zero effect on the game other than it'd appeal to more people. The game appealing to more people is good. Not that a Souls game really needs to try to get more people to play it at this point, but so what. I'll never understand the argument about an optional easy mode because it has no effect on your enjoyment of the game. Like hell even if it were true that everyone would just play the easy mode instead (which I don't agree with that) you'd still have the normal game right there, untouched from dirty vile easy mode hands. It would have no effect on your game or you in any way. Every game should have an easy mode or a mode that's just like "hey sit back and enjoy the story, don't worry too much about the challege". I play plenty of games on easy mode cause most of the time I don't feel like dying a hundred times to something just for the sake of challege (with the exception of platformers, I loved getting my rear end beat by the new DKC games' harder levels or Mario 3D World's final stage). But luckily I can still play those games in that way, and other people can still play it their way! The two sides never have to interact at all.

It's just like when 3D World introduced that super leaf or Tropical Freeze offering to literally play the level for you so you can get through it if you're having a hard time. People got really mad at those things being in the game but like... why? You can ignore them. You don't have to do the easy mode if you don't want

I haven't even played any Souls games, I've watched a hundred Bloodborne playthroughs, that's it. So I don't even have a dog in this fight with regards to Souls games, but giving people more options is never a bad thing.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Snak posted:

It would be bad for the game. People would think the game was shittier. It would get worse reviews, and it would sell less. It would take developement time away from making the good part of the game good to make a shittier version of the game so that people who aren't interested in the challenge, the core element of the game can experience... what, the graphics?

The challenge is the game. A less challenging version is literally a different game.

edit: basically I disagree that options are always good.

Agree to disagree then I don't think any of those things would happen

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Gio posted:

hope this is a decent thread to post this!

My fiance and I are looking to buy either a PS4 or an Xbox One and could use some advice on which to buy. I lean toward the latter, my fiance the former. Given that I haven’t purchased a system since 2001 when I bought a PS2, I could use some help.

I’ll try to be as brief as possible…

• I do not give a poo poo about most of the exclusive games either system has. Shooters are dumb and are for manchildren. VR is dumb, too, I have no interest. Not really interested in Kinect and whatever the Sony equivalent to it is.
  • Right now we play games on Steam, which is why I lean toward Xbox One. Can we play Steam games directly on the Xbox One, or is the only advantage that we can use the controller to play steam games (and emulated games)?
  • We play games on steam on her computer but it has difficulty playing most games. (She is getting a new laptop soon.) She likes to watch me play horror games like Amnesia, Outlast, and Layers of Fear. Though I haven’t played much of anything recently, I like a lot of dumb retro indie games on Steam like Braid, Rochard, Ori and the Blind Forest, Trine etc. I also like Zelda-esque adventure games; those are cool. I’m a big Portal fan as well. Are a lot of steam games like the ones above available for download on Xbox and PS4’s marketplaces?
  • We don’t have a blu-ray player, but we definitely would play blu-ray movies if we had the chance.
  • We have a (new) Apple TV for our multimedia needs.

Not sure it would make a difference if we got either one. I almost think just getting a better computer is the best option, but I really loving hate the effort of hooking up my laptop, booting up everything etc. I want a console. My fiance is getting a new laptop so we’ll probably end up doing both.

I think you just want another PC

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

The Lakitu in world 3-1 of Super Mario Run that has the first purple coin can eat my rear end

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Just started playing Shantae!!! So far the movement and everything is very satisfying even with only being in the beginning town. Also it's very pretty. Haven't fought any actual enemies yet.

I did just enter the bathhouse. And that music that plays there :lol:

This game IS already trying to give me way too much story though. I don't need plot in a platformer

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Also I remember a post asking what the deal is with Shantae's idle animation where she like bounces back and forth, but it makes way more sense in the context of the game. It's typically synced up really well to the music, so she's GROOVIN

I assume I come back to the these levels later with some other abilities? It looks like it wants me to double jump or scale the walls somehow for some collectables. Platforming is quite fun so far.

Her crouch animation is dumb though

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Don't be rude to Wario

Just did the level where you slide down a big water slide avoiding barrels and fish being thrown at you. AKA, a mine cart level 10/10

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Ostentatious posted:

did everyone hear that tracer (from the video game overwatch by blizzard entertainment) is a lesbian??

How could we NOT?? Quit shoving your politics down our throats SJWs!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Cardboard Box A posted:

Preorder Bonus: man squatting to poop figurine

The Scout is lookin ragged since Overwatch put him out of a job

• Locked thread