Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
You think the 3 million transportation workers in this country are all going to go back to college to become automation engineers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
It's only disastrous if you hold to the idea that everybody must work a job for a living wage.

I don't think it's reasonable to expect that people must graduate college in order to have a chance at a healthy life - I think it's a bit crazy, actually. Not to mention my friends who are struggling with student loan debt a decade after graduation, working in a field completely unrelated to their field of study. But that's a digression.

My own sense is that while in theory automation will take over, the complexity of the systems needed to design, produce and maintain automated systems are going to run up against a much more violent and chaotic world in the near to mid future which will give a reminder of the benefits of a more resilient system (lots of human labor,) but who knows.

Mozi fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Dec 1, 2016

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
Are you missing the part where in the future those annoyances will be solved by automation and not humans?

Also, it's worth watching the video in the OP if only to see the numbers of jobs that are going to be affected. It's not as simple as saying 'well they'll find something else to do.' We're talking about 45% of the workforce being unemployable. To say 'well they'll all make bands and people love live music' is laughable.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
... compounded by the new millions of unemployable people.

Seriously, it's not an either-or situation.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost

INH5 posted:

The original statement that ATMs led to layoffs of bank tellers is still completely wrong.

OK, ATMs have led to there being fewer bank tellers necessary per branch. Which boils down to pretty much the same thing from a wider perspective.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

You are the one that brought up the physical hard limit to the number of cars passing a certain point, now you are saying that limit is totally irrelevant? It's almost like the limits on roads actually have nearly nothing to do with the physical hard cap of how many cars could physically pass a certain point.

However, just specifying 'car' is placing an upper limit on persons per square foot per hour.

Why not self-driving busses? Obviously, it's because people like to be alone.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost

shovelbum posted:

Who cares about being alone? Carpooling to work is alive and well, which highlights the true desire: transportation (ideally that you do not have to drive yourself) directly from your point of origin to your destination. It's just that in most cases, that incidentally involves being alone.

I think being alone (or at least not with strangers) is a big part of why it's self-driving cars that are a thing. If you're really concerned about improving public transportation, more personal automobiles would be just about the worst possible thing. People like having their own cars that are their own personal space, and the fantasy is that this could be preserved while simultaneously solving our car-created traffic problems. But cars are simply too expensive on a person per square foot basis and automation aside cannot be a part of our future public transportation infrastructure.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
Speaking of salt, automated cars would put themselves through a carwash as needed in winter weather, thus decreasing rust and corrosion on the bottom of the car.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
How about just 'pube ho'?

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost

Blockade posted:

Sounds good to me, how do I find a woman okay with this arrangement?

Hard to tell if that comment is you getting the point or being incredibly obtuse.

In any case, the ideal seems to be that a family can be fully supported by one working parent, regardless of the genders involved. Having both parents participate in the labor force is fine if that is what they want to do but seems to me to just have been a temporary mask over the lack of rise in wages over the past few decades.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
Here's an article I thought was relevant.

Evidence That Robots Are Winning the Race for American Jobs

quote:

Who is winning the race for jobs between robots and humans? Last year, two leading economists described a future in which humans come out ahead. But now they’ve declared a different winner: the robots.

The industry most affected by automation is manufacturing. For every robot per thousand workers, up to six workers lost their jobs and wages fell by as much as three-fourths of a percent, according to a new paper by the economists, Daron Acemoglu of M.I.T. and Pascual Restrepo of Boston University. It appears to be the first study to quantify large, direct, negative effects of robots.

The paper is all the more significant because the researchers, whose work is highly regarded in their field, had been more sanguine about the effect of technology on jobs. In a paper last year, they said it was likely that increased automation would create new, better jobs, so employment and wages would eventually return to their previous levels. Just as cranes replaced dockworkers but created related jobs for engineers and financiers, the theory goes, new technology has created new jobs for software developers and data analysts.

But that paper was a conceptual exercise. The new one uses real-world data — and suggests a more pessimistic future.
The researchers said they were surprised to see very little employment increase in other occupations to offset the job losses in manufacturing. That increase could still happen, they said, but for now there are large numbers of people out of work, with no clear path forward — especially blue-collar men without college degrees.

“The conclusion is that even if overall employment and wages recover, there will be losers in the process, and it’s going to take a very long time for these communities to recover,” Mr. Acemoglu said.

“If you’ve worked in Detroit for 10 years, you don’t have the skills to go into health care,” he said. “The market economy is not going to create the jobs by itself for these workers who are bearing the brunt of the change.”

So, it turns out that robots do decrease jobs and wages, and the jobs that they do create aren't obtainable for the newly jobless.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost

Boon posted:

That's not the conclusion to draw from this.

I tried to look up the paper but it is paywalled. However, such studies will always discuss their limitations and potentials for hidden variables. It's more likely, but you've not taken that nuance into account, you've taken it as a certainty (and likely will state that to others if left unchallenged). Drawing a certain conclusion from a single study is also a really bad idea.

"The study, a National Bureau of Economic Research working paper published Monday, used data on the number of robots from the International Federation of Robotics (there is no consistent data on the monetary value of the robots in use.) It analyzed the effect of robots on employment and wages in commuting zones, a way to measure local economies."

Seems that they kept it purposefully straightfoward and simple. The authors previously believed that " it was likely that increased automation would create new, better jobs, so employment and wages would eventually return to their previous levels." However, when they looked at actual data, "they were surprised to see very little employment increase in other occupations to offset the job losses in manufacturing."

People talk about jobs being created as they are made obsolete, but that is very general and abstract. Actual numbers prove that the storylines don't add up. No scientific study can be taken as gospel truth but you're purposefully trying to muddy the waters to distract from the clear results they did produce.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
What you say about scientific papers in general is true, but given that the data changed the researcher's initial hypothesis, I am more given to believe it as opposed to the kind of vague theorizing that I was aware of prior. That said, couching everything as 'this study claims X fact' would have avoided this digression.

I did dig up the paper, and the details and math are very much over my head, but this section seemed relevant:

"To bolster confidence in our interpretation, we show that our estimates remain negative and
significant when we control for broad industry composition (including shares of manufacturing,
durables, and construction), for detailed demographics, and for competing factors impacting
workers in commuting zones—in particular, exposure to imports from China (as in Autor, Dorn
and Hanson, 2013), exposure to imports from Mexico, the decline in routine jobs following the
use of software to perform information processing tasks (as in Autor and Dorn, 2013), and
offshoring of intermediate inputs (based on Feenstra and Hanson, 1999; and Wright, 2014). We
also document that our measure of exposure to robots is unrelated to past trends in employment
and wages from 1970 to 1990, a period that preceded the onset of rapid advances in robotics
technology circa 1990.

Several robustness checks further support our interpretation. First, we find no similar negative
impact from other measures of IT and capital (thus partly motivating our focus on robots).
Second, we show that the automobile industry, which uses the largest number of robots per
worker, is not driving our results. Third, we document that the results are robust to including
differential trends by various baseline characteristics, linear commuting zone trends, and
potentially mean-reverting dynamics in employment and wages.

We also document that the employment effects of robots are most pronounced in manufacturing,
and in particular, in industries most exposed to robots; in routine manual, blue collar,
assembly and related occupations; and for workers with less than college education. Interestingly,
and perhaps surprisingly, we do not find positive and offsetting employment gains in any
occupation or education groups. We further document that the effects of robots on men and
women are similar, though the impact on male employment is more negative."

Mozi fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Mar 29, 2017

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
To be fair, his basic point was correct in that presenting the results of any single study as revealed truth in a vacuum is bad form. Let's just move on.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
Hollywood came up with the correct solution decades ago.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
I got Hue lights and an Echo and all I do is tell the Echo to turn the lights on or off, which works less well than flipping the switch. Communicating with the Echo just drives me up the wall; anything I'd want to do is easier on a computer.

My Mom loves her Echo so maybe it's a generational thing?

All I've done is add complexity and cost. And the lights come on full brightness after a power outage.

OK, the Echo is also handy for doing measurement conversions when your hands are full or covered with stuff. But that's not really IoT-related.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
I'd consider it more likely that a hacker could simply turn everything off or brick it somehow. That alone would be pretty annoying.

In any case, any exposure to the internet means greater exposure to risk than otherwise and I just don't see the point of exposing my fridge.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
I feel as if this thread itself could be automated to a large extent.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
I look at what's already happened with IoT devices and how well security is being handled by such things as, say, nuclear installations, and I choose to not invite the internet into my oven or fridge.

I mean, leave aside the hacking angle - drat things will crash! I don't see the necessity of this added complexity.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost

ElCondemn posted:

Just so you're clear, instead of calling everything an IoT device just call it a "networked computer" and suddenly it's no different than your laptop, phone or ipad... which all have a much larger attack surface and have the same security concerns that we've always had.

I don't want my fridge to be a networked computer. There are vastly different expectations.

Whatever - you guys go ahead and be the adopters. Enjoy the myriad benefits of turning on your oven with an app while you're driving home or having your fridge automatically order more eggs for you. Maybe years ago I would have been excited about that - but now I just see more headaches.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2Fs5GrUBwI

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
The next 9/11 is just going to be some rear end in a top hat hacking a bunch of automated planes.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Also an autopilot isn't like, a robot man that would be sitting in a chair piloting the plane.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
It would be fun to be the guy who writes crazy unexpected events to happen in the tests, like a plane lands in front of you or something.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost

Maluco Marinero posted:

Moreover, it seems good enough for temp only unless you’re going for the ‘random person off the street reading the lines with no emotion’ feel. Their examples were like the very epitome of temp voice work.

I'm pretty sure somebody in the video says it's just for placeholders?

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
“You’re a rotten driver,” I protested. “Either you ought to be more careful, or you oughtn’t to drive at all.”
“I am careful.”
“No, you’re not.”
“Well, other people are,” she said lightly.
“What’s that got to do with it?”
“They’ll keep out of my way,” she insisted. “It takes two to make an accident.”
“Suppose you met somebody just as careless as yourself.”
“I hope I never will,” she answered. “I hate careless people. That’s why I like you.”

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
Use human bodies as heat-generating machines to run robots with, you say?

Perhaps the machines could even provide the lucky humans with a compelling virtual reality experience to ease the boredom!

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
If that turns out to be the case they will need to invent poor-people-robots to have something to feel superior to.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
10 PRINT "Please sir, may I have some more?"
20 PRINT "Ow! Thank you for hitting me!"
30 GOTO 10

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost

Tei posted:

You say this ironically, but you are into something. For many people with power success is meaningless if theres not somebody lossing. They need somebody to lose to feel they are winning. They are validated by having somewhere suffering. Is horrible that people like this exist.

Unfortunately I wasn't completely joking; it seems pretty clear to me that the desire to have a class of people to feel naturally over to is a fairly universal need for most humans.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
That would be a pretty stupid way to think of an 'end game', considering the 'game' is clearly not over yet.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
It will probably give you useful skills to let you avoid various purges, so yeah, go for it.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
Your assertion is false and your understanding of who is concerned about this issue is purposely moronic.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
You're a moron.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
"It’s easier to imagine the end of the world than to imagine the end of capitalism."

This very much rings true for me.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost

In the situation you describe, capitalism would be alive and well - more than ever, now that Capital itself is unconstrained by any human sympathies.

What I meant instead by that is that the world as a whole is heading for a massive collapse as a consequence of the demands of eternal growth, but any change from the current path would also involve the deaths of billions of people and is hard to imagine what it would look like as a whole, at least for myself.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

I dunno. How would you describe the President of the United States if you were no longer allowed to use the word retard? It would be a great loss for the English language.

The Most Very Stablest of Geniuses - Bigly

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

You gotta be out of your mind if you think [no lines] and [more business] are related in any way, ever.

If there was an Amazon version of Shaw's next to the actual Shaw's, where I consistently wait behind elderly people writing checks for 15 items in the express lane, I would go to the one with no lines.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost

withak posted:

Yeah there's no way this capability could come back to slap us in the rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
They should have started with those sit-down ski dealies.

• Locked thread