Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
I feel John Carter of Mars got a bad rap and is unjustly considered a bad movie. While I never read the serials it was based on, I thought the movie was a solidly enjoyable, if a tad overlong, romp through the deserts of the future 51st state of America, Mars. It is also the only movie besides Lone Survivor where that thing Taylor Kitsch calls acting is even barely and remotely tolerable.

Also, those multi armed Goro creatures with the tusks were loving cool and Lynn Collins is hot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I remember watching this movie. Despite all the CG in the world, they simply could not make me care about Mars. Was not interested in this CRAZY NEW WORLD.

That probably had something to do with it failing. Maybe.

welcome 2 Clown Town
Aug 1, 2006

GALAXY'S #2 SCULL*!

*scrunt skull
i sort of liked john carter

i also sort of liked jupiter ascending until about 30 minutes in and then it was total garbage
at first it actually seemed like it could have been good but then it was like, nah, sorry bro, this movie is total garbage just like you read it would be

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
I saw this at midnight because I had nothing better to do that night and I also really enjoyed it.

It went whole-hog with its concept and didn't really half-rear end anything, and I respect it a lot for that. You could tell the director wanted to make a movie on mars and showcase a lot of weird poo poo from the books.

The CGI could definitely have been a bit better in spots though.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I also liked the john carter movie

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

John Carter née of Mars was bad.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

welcome 2 Clown Town posted:

i sort of liked john carter

i also sort of liked jupiter ascending until about 30 minutes in and then it was total garbage
at first it actually seemed like it could have been good but then it was like, nah, sorry bro, this movie is total garbage just like you read it would be

I never actually saw Jupiter Ascending because I firmly believe The Matrix was just a fluke with the Wachoski Brothers. I base this solely on how awful the sequels are, but at the risk of going off topic, just how bad was it?

GonSmithe posted:

I saw this at midnight because I had nothing better to do that night and I also really enjoyed it.

It went whole-hog with its concept and didn't really half-rear end anything, and I respect it a lot for that. You could tell the director wanted to make a movie on mars and showcase a lot of weird poo poo from the books.

The CGI could definitely have been a bit better in spots though.

I agree, it was just a fun, weird adventure movie that went balls out with the material they had. Some of the stuff, like those immortal beings was fuckin lame as all hell, but the other stuff like those flying machines and the costumes and whatnot were just so out there and cool. Part of why I liked it was because it was so different even though if you strip away the setting, you get a regular save the princess and the kingdom adventure story.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Skoll posted:

I never actually saw Jupiter Ascending because I firmly believe The Matrix was just a fluke with the Wachoski Brothers. I base this solely on how awful the sequels are, but at the risk of going off topic, just how bad was it?

It's bad but not as bad as John Carter who we will not admit is of Mars.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
it felt way longer than it actually was.

welcome 2 Clown Town
Aug 1, 2006

GALAXY'S #2 SCULL*!

*scrunt skull

Skoll posted:

I agree, it was just a fun, weird adventure movie that went balls out with the material they had. Some of the stuff, like those immortal beings was fuckin lame as all hell, but the other stuff like those flying machines and the costumes and whatnot were just so out there and cool. Part of why I liked it was because it was so different even though if you strip away the setting, you get a regular save the princess and the kingdom adventure story.

i only mentioned it because it was a "new" sci-fi movie property that similarly bombed with both critics and financially

its categorically worse than any marvel movie and you can pretty much get the same effect by watching "the matrix" and the "guardians of the galaxy" one after the other

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Saying it's worse than any Marvel movie, which all follow literally the same formula, is pretty :eyepop:.

Maybe I will have to view Jupiter Ascending on my death bed or some poo poo if it's that bad.

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>
John Farter of SARS.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I think people just assume massive flops are bad. The truth is John Carter is a lovely title for a space opera movie and that's probably a huge part of what sunk it.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

Skoll posted:

Saying it's worse than any Marvel movie, which all follow literally the same formula, is pretty :eyepop:.

Maybe I will have to view Jupiter Ascending on my death bed or some poo poo if it's that bad.

It's really bad. Mila Kunis is pretty awful in it and there aren't any interesting characters at all. There's no worldbuilding that anybody cares about and all the flash and cgi can't cover up the absolute lack of depth.

A buddy of mine watched it with me and we couldn't stop laughing at it the whole time.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

I don't know why anyone would think it's a good marketing move to take "Of Mars" out of the title. They think people are going to be like, "oh poo poo movie about some guy with one of the world's most boring and generic names? Sign me up!"

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Drink-Mix Man posted:

I don't know why anyone would think it's a good marketing move to take "Of Mars" out of the title. They think people are going to be like, "oh poo poo movie about some guy with one of the world's most boring and generic names? Sign me up!"

"Call it Princess of Mars like the book"
"No it has to say John Carter"
"Ok, John Carter and the Princess of Mars"
"gently caress that, boys won't see a movie with princess in the title"
"Ok how about John Carter of Mars"
"Girls won't see a movie with Mars in the title and Mars needs Moms crashed so NO MARS"

- The actual conversation at Disney

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

GonSmithe posted:

"Call it Princess of Mars like the book"
"No it has to say John Carter"
"Ok, John Carter and the Princess of Mars"
"gently caress that, boys won't see a movie with princess in the title"
"Ok how about John Carter of Mars"
"Girls won't see a movie with Mars in the title and Mars needs Moms crashed so NO MARS"

- The actual conversation at Disney

I honestly believe this to be 100% true.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
I like how it has two of the best actors from Rome in kind of the same roles they were as Caesar and Antony

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Movie was pretty decent, but somebody at disney wanted it to tank, I guess?

I liked it and watch it when it's on TV. Maybe I should buy a blu-ray

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

For some reason the movie cut out the part where John Carter was for some reason immortal before he even went to Mars.

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"
I saw it in IMAX the week after it opened and it had been branded a flop, and I wish I'd seen it sooner, because as enjoyable as it was, I couldn't stop thinking "Sucks that this is it and they won't make more and it'll lose money, this is a fun movie that deserved success." I'll always be grateful that they put out a proper 3D BR set for it.

As for JA, that was the most boring, soulless pile of drivel I've ever seen in a theatre AND paid D-box money for. The Wachowskis deserve their write-offs, even more so now that WB have dumped them and they're starting to blame their self-imposed failures on their audiences' tastes and lack of appreciation. I have a bad feeling we'll someday see them shamelessly play the "It's all transphobia!" card.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
I've not seen this movie, but I always confuse it with John Carpenter's Ghosts Of Mars which I enjoyed very much.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Lurdiak posted:

I think people just assume massive flops are bad. The truth is John Carter is a lovely title for a space opera movie and that's probably a huge part of what sunk it.

Didn't it also have next to no marketing? I remember only hearing about it when it had been running for a few weeks already, and I had no idea it was based on some pre-existing property until after I'd watched it.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Yeah kinda, in a few markets they didn't even call it John Carter of Mars, they just called the film John Carter. So unless you had read the original stories you had no idea what the film was supposed to be. They didn't even bother trying to stack up the SF nerd demographic.

A shame because despite a few problems it was an alright film.

Bob Quixote
Jul 7, 2006

This post has been inspected and certified by the Dino-Sorcerer

Grimey Drawer

muscles like this! posted:

For some reason the movie cut out the part where John Carter was for some reason immortal before he even went to Mars.

Well that whole thing never really went anywhere in the original stories outside of the opening chapter of the first book. It's not like there were scenes of him reminiscing about being a viking or a medieval knight and such, it was just a bit of throwaway weirdness that they probably felt would have muddied up the story they were trying to tell with the movie.

That being said, I wasn't a huge fan of them re-framing the thing as "Josey Wales of Mars", even if it did lead to the pretty cool fight scene where he is taking on that whole horde of green guys single-handed and super-manning it up by just flying around and smashing guys with super strength because they come from a low gravity baby planet. I guess maybe they thought he needed to be more of a sympathetic character and that means tragic backstory.

All in all though I did think it was a good movie. The props and CG were nice, the actors did well & the action scenes were pretty engaging. My wife's favorite part was Woola :3:

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Shinjobi posted:

I remember watching this movie. Despite all the CG in the world, they simply could not make me care about Mars. Was not interested in this CRAZY NEW WORLD.

That probably had something to do with it failing. Maybe.

It wasn't really made out to be significantly different from Earth, it just looked like a lovely, deserty Earth.
Sure they had the aliens that look like something from another planet, but pretty much the only characters that matter were the other kind of aliens that happen to look exactly like humans.

Baka-nin posted:

Yeah kinda, in a few markets they didn't even call it John Carter of Mars, they just called the film John Carter. So unless you had read the original stories you had no idea what the film was supposed to be. They didn't even bother trying to stack up the SF nerd demographic.

A shame because despite a few problems it was an alright film.

I don't remember it ever being called anything but John Carter anywhere.

raditts fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Dec 2, 2016

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I saw about 20 minutes of it and I thought the aliens were cool.

Weener Beater
May 4, 2010
Steaming pile of feces if you read the books. Not bad as a sifi actioner. Unfortunately it didnt make much sense at all. It could have been stripped way down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.
I hear there have been good movies made from bad books and stories but this is not that movie. It's all bad.

It didn't even have the decency to be pretty! The CGI was terrible!

At least The Last Airbender was pretty (and it helped Aasif Mandvi pay his bills.)

• Locked thread