Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bob Quixote
Jul 7, 2006

This post has been inspected and certified by the Dino-Sorcerer

Grimey Drawer

muscles like this! posted:

For some reason the movie cut out the part where John Carter was for some reason immortal before he even went to Mars.

Well that whole thing never really went anywhere in the original stories outside of the opening chapter of the first book. It's not like there were scenes of him reminiscing about being a viking or a medieval knight and such, it was just a bit of throwaway weirdness that they probably felt would have muddied up the story they were trying to tell with the movie.

That being said, I wasn't a huge fan of them re-framing the thing as "Josey Wales of Mars", even if it did lead to the pretty cool fight scene where he is taking on that whole horde of green guys single-handed and super-manning it up by just flying around and smashing guys with super strength because they come from a low gravity baby planet. I guess maybe they thought he needed to be more of a sympathetic character and that means tragic backstory.

All in all though I did think it was a good movie. The props and CG were nice, the actors did well & the action scenes were pretty engaging. My wife's favorite part was Woola :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread