Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

Once again, Abrams didn't write the script to either of those films. He's not that kind of director.

J.J. Abrams had a screenplay credit on The Force Awakens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
It's TV and not movies, but I thought Felicity was pretty good.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
Abrams worst movie is his star wars. His trek and monster movies are all p good

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
The only movie I enjoyed that Abrams had any involvement with was Armageddon. Everything else he has done movie wise has been a dud for me. I will admit I've not seen any of his television work but I also don't really watch T.V.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

even if it's a gimmick movie i thought memento had plenty of soul so no, i don't agree with the op at least when it comes to nolan

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

It's really weird how dedicated some of you are to saying the new Star Wars is bad even though everyone loves it.

~forum culture~

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I don't like JJ Abrams in general but I liked Star Trek and The Force Awakens okay. They're not great films and obviously not the best of either franchise but are fine and enjoyable.

Nolan is weird because Inception absolutely did the thing to me the op is describing and i didn't give a flying gently caress what happened to anyone in it, but I really like The Prestige and Westworld despite people leveling exactly the same complaints at them.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

It's really weird how dedicated some of you are to saying the new Star Wars is bad even though everyone loves it.

~forum culture~

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Sorry that I am capable of forming my own opinions and stuff.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Chwoka posted:

i think jj abrams wasn't paying attention to the good seasons of fringe or something because it turns out that actually having + telling a story is way way better than his "mystery box"

I'm pretty sure JJ Abrams didn't have anything to do with Fringe except producing it, after the pilot, which he did work on.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
i liked the first two batmans but the third one is a festering pile of poo poo imo. its paced terribly despite being like 3 hours long (try to count the number of shots that are less than a second long, you'll lose count) and has tons of obvious technical workarounds. it absolutely fails at seeming lifelike it felt like every scene was someone doing wire tricks

and the more i think about inception the more i hate it

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Chris Nolan has nothing to do with Westworld. It''s his brother Jonah, who used to do Person of Interest which turned into a very good AI show after it had a by the numbers first season. Pretty much the same trajectory as Fringe.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Zaggitz posted:

Chris Nolan has nothing to do with Westworld. It''s his brother Jonah, who used to do Person of Interest which turned into a very good AI show after it had a by the numbers first season. Pretty much the same trajectory as Fringe.

errr yea but his brother co-wrote the prestige, the batman movies, and interstellar; they're very much co-authors and of a piece creatively

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, Jonah Nolan is the good one.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
The Prestige, Interstellar and Memento are my favourite Nolan films. The prestige most of all!

I also love the new Star Wars. I was never a star wars fan, really, so I find the Force Awakens to be the best one and the most fun.

Equally I think Beyond is the best Star Trek film because it's just good fun.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

Palpek posted:

even if it's a gimmick movie i thought memento had plenty of soul so no, i don't agree with the op at least when it comes to nolan

Maybe I don't know what soul is, but I don't know if memento has it in spades.

I watched that movie for the first time ever last week and I enjoyed it but primarily because the antagonist (or is he?!?!) was played by Joe Pantoliano. And the reveal at the end (or is it the beginning?!?!?!) that SPOILERS Teddy was stringing the main character along because it benefited both of them (financial gain and emotional satisfaction) was pretty great. Pantoliano really sold that bit for me. But that was also the only part of that movie that made me really reflect on the human condition.

The hotel clerk guy was fantastic and I would've loved to see him have more than bit parts.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Pantoliano is loving great in roles like that because he's such an authentic piece of poo poo every time.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
And Joey Pants is a tremendous guy in real life !

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
interstellar was loving poo poo and far too long. everyone should watch sunshine instead of that imo

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Sunshine is dope.

The entire thing. Not just the first 2/3 like some apostates claim.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I love Sunshine too. Especially the soundtrack. When I first saw it in the cinema it looked totally real. I forgot the Icarus II didn't actually exist.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

N. Senada posted:

Maybe I don't know what soul is, but I don't know if memento has it in spades.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53o7_NqrTQA

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Interstellar is what happens when you take a movie that's supposedly about human emotions and the majesty of space and write and direct it like another goddamn puzzle box where every piece needs to slot together perfectly.

The actors tried their best, but when every line of dialog is either packed with meaning or purely expositional, and when everything that happens needs to come together in the end in some way, all the space organ solos in the world can't establish a sense of awe.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Honestly, interstellar felt like two movies smushed together, and I only liked one of them. I thought him coming home just because and reuniting with his daughter was pretty cheap - to me the emotional climax there was her realizing he was the ghost, that he cared all along, etc. That provides all the closure needed but then he still goes home anyway, erasing all of the stakes established earlier in the movie.

Speaking to the thread topic, did anyone get a sense that the emotional connection between the space man and his daughter was genuine? It seemed forced and not real to me, at no point did it seem like an actual father daughter relationship. They were able to, one again, show intense emotions when the scene called for it, but any other scene lacked the subtle clues that two people speaking give any fucks about each other.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
I saw Interstellar in 70mm IMAX and I think that really colored my opinion of the movie. When the emotional scenes are swelling with music that is literally shaking my rib cage, I feel it. Every single space scene was beyond gorgeous.

It's definitely cliched, and definitely is a little too long, but it hit a lot of the right notes for me.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I think that Interstellar is probably the most emotional of Nolan's films, and that's almost entirely because of the leads.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Snak posted:

I think that Interstellar is probably the most emotional of Nolan's films, and that's almost entirely because of the leads.
Matthew McConaughey certainly has a look that evokes despair, no doubt.

Would have definitely liked to have seen that in 70mm, I bet that did help. I can only imagine the scene where they realize the "cliff" in the distance is a huge wave.

Oneavi
Dec 10, 2011

Boxbot was head of security.
I think Nolan's movies are "larger than life" in a lot of ways. Interstellar is rooted in a mythic journey filled with Big Ideas and one of the characters (Matt Damon) is basically a walking talking symbol. In Dark Knight all of the big three figures are more symbols than people. In that sense, I think condemning his movies as having no soul feels unfair. It never feels like the people we're watching are real people but I can still feel the message that Nolan's trying to convey through them. The souls of his movies always rest on the message, and I have to say that I really dig the relentless commitment Nolan has towards focusing on these mythic sorts of narratives. I think his movies do speak to people in a unique and valuable way, even if the characters themselves don't interact believably.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

I didn't enjoy Interstallar, it seemed banal to me but was presented as if it was the second Space Odyssey. It also suffered from too much telling too little showing. The nails to the coffin were the script cliches which I wouldn't mind if they were included in a movie that took itself less seriously. After leaving the cinema I felt like I was shown something very heavy-handed and shallow with drama that didn't really happen but was described to me as happening.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I really liked Interstellar, and that's not goin anywhere, but at the same time I feel that Arrival accomplished just as much in a much more cohesive package.

Edit: TARS is the best though. Easily in the top ten fictional robots of all time.

Snak fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Dec 2, 2016

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009
Hard to disagree there, Jerffrey of YOSPOS

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I'd say the Nolan and JJ Abrams films have a lot of heart. They wear their emotions right on their sleeves and they do it, fairly well. But it's not a long lasting emotional feeling, it's just something that occurs during the scene.

Like the end of Super 8 makes me cry, but once the movie is done, I'm like...dang that was kinda dumb. That alien is a murderer and a bad thing. The mom thing with the necklace is good. But the alien is dumb and bad

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.
I don't think JJ Abrams is capable of making a movie with a good villain.

And I'm pretty fed up with Nolan's Tom Clancyesque messages.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Kylo Ren is probably one of the best villains out there.

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.

CelticPredator posted:

Kylo Ren is probably one of the best villains out there.

You usually have good opinions so I want to think you're being cheeky here.

He's not terrible but he's not good yet. I'm hoping he gets more and better explored in the future movies because right now we have no idea what his home life was like or anything like that. The fact that I actually want to know what he's really about does make him better than most villains JJ has introduced to us. He definitely has potential and I have high expectations for him.

But just so we're clear my current impression of him is that he's a spoiled prince who got everything he wanted but still rebelled, as rebellious teens do, in big and evil ways. (No idea what his reasons are beyond, "There was just too much Vader in him.") He has anger issues and he is mad as gently caress at his parents and gently caress you dad because he's an entitled piece of poo poo.

Which is fine but not amazing.

But I am hoping it's more than that? I really wanna see more from his PoV. Because I know I'm making a bunch of broad sweeping assumptions based on what little I/we know about him.

I believe in you Kylo Ren/Ben Solo, you can do it!

Jenner fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Dec 2, 2016

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

get that OUT of my face posted:

it's a shame that the lesson DC learned from The Dark Knight was "let's make every single one of our movies from here on out just as joyless and unsmiling"

Ironically, The Dark Knight is hilarious.

Well What Now
Nov 10, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Shredded Hen

T.C. posted:

I was annoyed that the rebel pilot dude felt like a really superficial hero that we were supposed to be impressed by and hadn't earned it at all.

Then it looked like he died and I thought the director was trying to show how everyone is vulnerable and the new stormtrooper guy had to try to live up to a completely ridiculous ideal. I was interested.

But nope, not dead. Just an empty cool pilot hero guy.

dude was supposed to stay dead but they liked the actor so he was brought back via a hasty rewrite with no explanation whatsoever

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

Jenner posted:

I don't think JJ Abrams is capable of making a movie with a good villain.

And I'm pretty fed up with Nolan's Tom Clancyesque messages.

its not a very good movie but Philip Seymour Hoffman in Mission Impossible 3 is pretty great

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Jenner posted:

You usually have good opinions so I want to think you're being cheeky here.

He's not terrible but he's not good yet. I'm hoping he gets more and better explored in the future movies because right now we have no idea what his home life was like or anything like that. The fact that I actually want to know what he's really about does make him better than most villains JJ has introduced to us. He definitely has potential and I have high expectations for him.

But just so we're clear my current impression of him is that he's a spoiled prince who got everything he wanted but still rebelled, as rebellious teens do, in big and evil ways. (No idea what his reasons are beyond, "There was just too much Vader in him.") He has anger issues and he is mad as gently caress at his parents and gently caress you dad because he's an entitled piece of poo poo.

Which is fine but not amazing.

But I am hoping it's more than that? I really wanna see more from his PoV. Because I know I'm making a bunch of broad sweeping assumptions based on what little I/we know about him.

I believe in you Kylo Ren/Ben Solo, you can do it!

Him being a whiny, entitled piece of poo poo who was basically lied too to become a horrible monster is why I find him so endearing and interesting.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Interstellar is a movie I have complicated feelings about.

I think it has some really good bits and some really successful emotional stuff, and I really liked how the science stuff was used to highlight the emotional side of the movie (especially with McConnaughey's daughter aging while he's on the black hole planet). But at the same time it really did suffer from telling not showing a lot of the time (Matt Damon's character and his plotline probably being the biggest example of this) and simultaneously felt way too long and way too rushed at times. Entire plotlines could have been cut out of the movie (why does it matter that Jessica Chastain has a bad relationship with Casey Affleck?) without anyone noticing, but some scenes fly by in the blink of an eye, making the viewer question why everything is happening so fast. Does McConnaughey really leave on the space ship like the very next day after they find that facility? Either yes, in which case that's dumb because he hasn't flown in like a decade, or no in which case it's dumb that he abandons his daughter so quickly. The fact that the one character aged like 21 years while they were on the black hole planet and thought they had died down there is really emotionally powerful... for all of one second, and then it's forgotten about and never mentioned again.

Plus the ending is loving moronic and retroactively ruined the entire plot of the movie for me because I hate the bootstrap paradox. Still though if McConnaughey entered the black hole, got to be the ghost, and then just died or disappeared or got space babied that would be way better than sending him back again. And the idea that he sent his daughter a bunch of binary code seemed dumb to me too. Admittedly I don't know a lot about binary but TARS specifically says that it's a lot of information and binary code on a watch's second hand, recorded by hand onto a notepad, seems like a very very very very slow way to communicate a lot of information and one that would be very open to mistakes so yeah.

I just saw the Prestige recently though and I thought it was really good. I know what the OP meant though, the characters were a bit two-dimensional and there wasn't a ton to them except their desire to one-up each other constantly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011

CelticPredator posted:

Him being a whiny, entitled piece of poo poo who was basically lied too to become a horrible monster is why I find him so endearing and interesting.

Okay then we are actually 100% in agreement and like him for the same reasons. High five.

In another universe Kylo Ren is complaining about the friend zone and going on long tirades about Anita Sarkeesian under the guise of defending ethics in video game journalism.

• Locked thread