Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I thought Interstellar was good. It's ok for the characters to be strange with each other because none of them have any common ground until the very end when what's her name and Surfer Bro are the last two survivors from their time period

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Kylo Ren is a great villain, not because he is great, but because it's surprisingly down to earth to have the bad guy just be a lovely rear end in a top hat with anger management problems who rebelled against his rebel parents way too hard.

I love Hannibal Lector and Darth Vader as much as the next person, but I also like it when a bad guy isn't as romanticized and put on a pedestal.

ijii
Mar 17, 2007
I'M APPARENTLY GAY AND MY POSTING SUCKS.
I hate Kylo Ren so far. The movie pretty much only stated that reason he went to the dark side was because he had daddy issues. I thought it was silly for him to wear a mask when there was no reason for him to wear one. Makes me wonder if he did it to somewhat emulate his grand daddy Vader, which would also be dumb as hell. He struggled to beat Finn in a saber duel despite Finn not able to use the force or have experience in saber dueling.

On the bright side, he is a better villain than Darth Maul, who was just a hitman. I really hope they expand better on the motivations of Kylo Ren and his master next movie.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

ijii posted:

He struggled to beat Finn in a saber duel despite Finn not able to use the force or have experience in saber dueling.

That bugged me too, until I realized that he struggled to beat Finn after being shot in the torso by a gun that's usually instadeath. Finn probably also had a reasonable understanding of saber-like combat, as stormtroopers were trained and equipped with electric batons that could stop lightsabers.

Edit: which would provide for a nice excuse to make him a more capable combatant in the next film, after he's healed.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
I was surprised the new Star Wars movie was fun despite being directed by JJ Abrams

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

ijii posted:

Makes me wonder if he did it to somewhat emulate his grand daddy Vader, which would also be dumb as hell

How can you possibly not realize this is the literal entire point of his character? Be honest, you were on your phone throughout the entire movie, weren't you?

A Doomed Purloiner
Jan 4, 2006

Symbolic Butt posted:

I was surprised the new Star Wars movie was fun despite being directed by JJ Abrams

Why? He had already made a fun Star Wars movie in 2009 called Star Trek.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

its not a very good movie but Philip Seymour Hoffman in Mission Impossible 3 is pretty great

Yeah, though that's pretty much entirely the performance.

Well What Now
Nov 10, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Shredded Hen
I really like the idea of Kylo Ren, because the main villain being an angsty little poo poo with daddy issues playacting as his famous villain grandfather could make a pretty interesting character study in the right hands.

I'm just not sure the people making these films can actually do the idea justice.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Well What Now posted:

I really like the idea of Kylo Ren, because the main villain being an angsty little poo poo with daddy issues playacting as his famous villain grandfather could make a pretty interesting character study in the right hands.

I'm just not sure the people making these films can actually do the idea justice.

Rian Johnson is a much better director than JJ, so I have hope for the next one.

The third one is going to be poo poo, though.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

GonSmithe posted:

Rian Johnson is a much better director than JJ, so I have hope for the next one.

Dude hell yeah he is. I was like "wuh" when I heard the announcement and then thought about Looper again and it made perfect sense. He's a very good choice to make a new Star Wars picture.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

wizard on a water slide posted:

Dude hell yeah he is. I was like "wuh" when I heard the announcement and then thought about Looper again and it made perfect sense. He's a very good choice to make a new Star Wars picture.

Not to go off topic, but Looper loving owned hardcore.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

wizard on a water slide posted:

the dude who did jurassic world is on the slate for the one after that tho so it's probably gonna be fuckin dire

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
They're just trying to accurately recreate the feel of the original trilogy. They're gonna nail it.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Interstellar guy apparently really loves his daughter but doesn't seem too concerned over his son.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i reckon you could probably cut about an hour out of interstellar and probably not lose anything important

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Rian Johnson is a very cool nice man. I really wanted to say "Congrats on Star Wars!" but it was so fresh, I wasn't sure if it was going to pan out.

So loving glad it is though.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Larry Parrish posted:

I thought Interstellar was good. It's ok for the characters to be strange with each other because none of them have any common ground until the very end when what's her name and Surfer Bro are the last two survivors from their time period

theres an hour and a half of good movie in interstellar and about 45 minutes of nazi poo poo

but the line about how love is quantifiable is purestrain nolan

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Nolan is sterile as poo poo, but i wouldn't say JJ Abrams has the same problems. JJ Abrams movies just play it safe and end up a flashy dazzling kind of boring for it, and the lens flare thing is a real problem. Nolan is a less quirky wes anderson auteur/autist with no feel for character but he makes interesting ideas into movies and he manages to secure pretty obscene budgets to do it with, so i'm happy enough with how it turns out usually, since he paid his dues with Batman and got lucky with heath ledger it seems like he can string producers and audiences along for whatever he wants to do so I kinda envy him to be honest.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

jurassic world was the WORST

i don't think chris pratt smiled in the entire movie

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

At least it was marginally better than the Dino mercenary idea that was originally pitched.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
the original dinosaurs with guns idea would have been best

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Nolan is pretty dreary, but JJA's entire shtick is to pad his work with references with little to no original ideas. TFA showed that it wasn't all Lindelof; JJA just doesn't seem to know another way to make movies.

At least the first (and perhaps second) season if Alias was great.

Trebek
Mar 7, 2002
College Slice
Add Spielberg to this list of directors that are just really good chemists and mix all the right ingredients to create a successful if utterly forgettable blockbuster

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

A Doomed Purloiner posted:

Why? He had already made a fun Star Wars movie in 2009 called Star Trek.

meh

I liked Star Wars way better

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered
Inception is like a parlor trick turned into a 2+hr movie.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
Nolan and Abrams stuff has soul, but it's def not like, really tasty soul with a medley of flavour. Like Nolan's soul is a murky glass building full of 2000s angst, and Abrams' soul is whiz-bang have-you-seen-my-father 80's nostalgia.

Retarded_Clown_
Feb 18, 2012

idk how to dfeine soul or humanity or we in a movie but theyre pretty boring.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

DC Murderverse posted:

Ironically, The Dark Knight is hilarious.

People really tend to forget that Bruce Wayne almost exclusively communicates to Alfred and Lucius in gentle dad-humour, and that his relationship to Harvey Dent is largely based on spite (ruining his date with Rachel, throwing a fundraiser to highlight his own wealth).

Then you have Batman Begins, where he fights literal ninjas for two hours, and the Dark Knight Rises, where the Batman '66 finale is reenacted to dramatic effect.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

Trebek posted:

Add Spielberg to this list of directors that are just really good chemists and mix all the right ingredients to create a successful if utterly forgettable blockbuster

I have no idea what happens in ET anymore and I seriously doubt that it is more entertaining to watch than Mac and Me.

The only Spielberg movie I actively like and watched more than once is Jaws. That movie was cool to 12-year-old me and is way better now that I'm an adult. And Jurassic Park was pretty good.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

N. Senada posted:

I have no idea what happens in ET anymore and I seriously doubt that it is more entertaining to watch than Mac and Me.

The only Spielberg movie I actively like and watched more than once is Jaws. That movie was cool to 12-year-old me and is way better now that I'm an adult. And Jurassic Park was pretty good.

idk man I think Indiana Jones, Schindler's List, Jurassic Park, Saving Private Ryan all hold up still

I also like Minority Report and Catch Me If You Can but idk if they deserve to be on the same "classics" list

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
I didn't see any Indiana Jones until the 4th movie one came out. I have since watched the first and it was fun but I don't have any nostalgia for it. I liked that Indy was an rear end in a top hat in it thou.

And those other movies were enjoyable and good (Schindler's List being probably a legit classic).

I guess what I'm really saying is that I do not like ET.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I never really watched Raiders until the fourth one came out (I think I only watched 2 and 3), and it became one of my all time favorites. It's great to see in the theater if you ever get the chance.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Snak posted:

Kylo Ren is a great villain, not because he is great, but because it's surprisingly down to earth to have the bad guy just be a lovely rear end in a top hat with anger management problems who rebelled against his rebel parents way too hard.

I love Hannibal Lector and Darth Vader as much as the next person, but I also like it when a bad guy isn't as romanticized and put on a pedestal.

The fact that Kylo puts Vader on a pedestal and wants to be him is pretty great. "Hitler was really cool, you guys!"

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
Kylo Ren captures the zeitgeist in an incredible way. I can point back 30 years from now at that villain and go 'there was a lot of young men who were emotional pieces of poo poo that idolized literal fascists just like this literal bastard Klyo Ren'.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
And they all posted on the internet

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Skoll posted:

The problem with TFA, besides JJ Abrams involvement, is it tried too hard to be A New Hope... Which given JJ Abrams involvement I guess was to be expected. He made a lovely low effort unfun rip off of Wrath of Khan so I guess Star Wars needed its turn. At least he didn't go for the Empire Strikes Back rehash.

It borrows stuff from all three. The room with the lightsaber is the crappy TFA equivalent of the place on Dagobah where Luke had that vision, the mission to disable the Starkiller's defenses is the uninteresting TFA version of Endor. Han's death is Obi Wan's death plus Vader's reveal as Anakin in Empire.

N. Senada posted:

Kylo Ren captures the zeitgeist in an incredible way. I can point back 30 years from now at that villain and go 'there was a lot of young men who were emotional pieces of poo poo that idolized literal fascists just like this literal bastard Klyo Ren'.

Kylo is good at being the kind of villain he is but it's hard to take him seriously as a threat. Same for the not-Empire.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
My hope for the new trilogy is that Finn is your neutral balancing point and Kylo swings to the light, while Rey swings to the dark side. It would be neat to see each one struggling to deal with the opposite.

Rey is supposed to be good but her anger near the end is the temptation of the dark, whereas Kylo is supposed to be good but he struggled with the light during the meeting with his father.

I'd like the second film to be both swinging to their 'wrong' side and the third is Kylo and Finn saving Rey from Snoke. I think hat would be fun and neat.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

super sweet best pal posted:

Kylo is good at being the kind of villain he is but it's hard to take him seriously as a threat. Same for the not-Empire.

I feel the same way about men's rights activists.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

super sweet best pal posted:

The Empire was scary because it was an efficient, fascist machine. It was an establishment. It was Nazi Germany.

The New Order is scary because they are clueless zealots. The don't know how to build an empire, only how to destroy. They are ISIS.

• Locked thread