Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

even if it's a gimmick movie i thought memento had plenty of soul so no, i don't agree with the op at least when it comes to nolan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Pantoliano is loving great in roles like that because he's such an authentic piece of poo poo every time.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

I didn't enjoy Interstallar, it seemed banal to me but was presented as if it was the second Space Odyssey. It also suffered from too much telling too little showing. The nails to the coffin were the script cliches which I wouldn't mind if they were included in a movie that took itself less seriously. After leaving the cinema I felt like I was shown something very heavy-handed and shallow with drama that didn't really happen but was described to me as happening.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

VideoGames posted:

My hope for the new trilogy is that Finn is your neutral balancing point and Kylo swings to the light, while Rey swings to the dark side. It would be neat to see each one struggling to deal with the opposite.

Rey is supposed to be good but her anger near the end is the temptation of the dark, whereas Kylo is supposed to be good but he struggled with the light during the meeting with his father.

I'd like the second film to be both swinging to their 'wrong' side and the third is Kylo and Finn saving Rey from Snoke. I think hat would be fun and neat.
I honestly don't think Kylo will swing. The scene where he killed his father was his last chance and the fact that he did what he did sealed his fate. Killing Han Solo as something purposefully put into a Star Wars movie by the director is too big of a deal and basically means 'there's no turning back from this' except for maybe sacrificing himself for the good cause at the very end like Vader did.

I could see Rey flirting with the dark side like Luke though. It rhymes etc.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

It's true that Star Wars is very binary but I think that from the perspective of the way the story was told by the original trilogy Vader was in fact forgiven. I mean, he pretty much received a honorary funeral and his spirit stood in a line-up of good guys while his son was smiling at him which is the equivalent of going to heaven and not just "an ounce of redemption" so it's really your reinterpretation of the facts and not how the story was presented.

• Locked thread