Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Abrams has made an art out of making poorly written crap seem good at first glance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

GonSmithe posted:

The first JJTrek movie is probably the best Star Trek movie besides Wrath of Khan

Star Trek 4. :colbert:

First Contact was pretty fun in spots. Not consistently great but it had a lot of moments.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Does anyone else feel like Force Awakens' climactic starfighter battle... wasn't? They had the Episode 4 style intro, then barely anything happened with them. At least, they didn't do much that I remember. Also most of the E4 guys died in their attempted bombing runs while most of the E7 jerks are probably going to stick around as merchandisable characters.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Skoll posted:

The problem with TFA, besides JJ Abrams involvement, is it tried too hard to be A New Hope... Which given JJ Abrams involvement I guess was to be expected. He made a lovely low effort unfun rip off of Wrath of Khan so I guess Star Wars needed its turn. At least he didn't go for the Empire Strikes Back rehash.

It borrows stuff from all three. The room with the lightsaber is the crappy TFA equivalent of the place on Dagobah where Luke had that vision, the mission to disable the Starkiller's defenses is the uninteresting TFA version of Endor. Han's death is Obi Wan's death plus Vader's reveal as Anakin in Empire.

N. Senada posted:

Kylo Ren captures the zeitgeist in an incredible way. I can point back 30 years from now at that villain and go 'there was a lot of young men who were emotional pieces of poo poo that idolized literal fascists just like this literal bastard Klyo Ren'.

Kylo is good at being the kind of villain he is but it's hard to take him seriously as a threat. Same for the not-Empire.

• Locked thread