Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Interstellar is a movie I have complicated feelings about.

I think it has some really good bits and some really successful emotional stuff, and I really liked how the science stuff was used to highlight the emotional side of the movie (especially with McConnaughey's daughter aging while he's on the black hole planet). But at the same time it really did suffer from telling not showing a lot of the time (Matt Damon's character and his plotline probably being the biggest example of this) and simultaneously felt way too long and way too rushed at times. Entire plotlines could have been cut out of the movie (why does it matter that Jessica Chastain has a bad relationship with Casey Affleck?) without anyone noticing, but some scenes fly by in the blink of an eye, making the viewer question why everything is happening so fast. Does McConnaughey really leave on the space ship like the very next day after they find that facility? Either yes, in which case that's dumb because he hasn't flown in like a decade, or no in which case it's dumb that he abandons his daughter so quickly. The fact that the one character aged like 21 years while they were on the black hole planet and thought they had died down there is really emotionally powerful... for all of one second, and then it's forgotten about and never mentioned again.

Plus the ending is loving moronic and retroactively ruined the entire plot of the movie for me because I hate the bootstrap paradox. Still though if McConnaughey entered the black hole, got to be the ghost, and then just died or disappeared or got space babied that would be way better than sending him back again. And the idea that he sent his daughter a bunch of binary code seemed dumb to me too. Admittedly I don't know a lot about binary but TARS specifically says that it's a lot of information and binary code on a watch's second hand, recorded by hand onto a notepad, seems like a very very very very slow way to communicate a lot of information and one that would be very open to mistakes so yeah.

I just saw the Prestige recently though and I thought it was really good. I know what the OP meant though, the characters were a bit two-dimensional and there wasn't a ton to them except their desire to one-up each other constantly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

N. Senada posted:

I have no idea what happens in ET anymore and I seriously doubt that it is more entertaining to watch than Mac and Me.

The only Spielberg movie I actively like and watched more than once is Jaws. That movie was cool to 12-year-old me and is way better now that I'm an adult. And Jurassic Park was pretty good.

idk man I think Indiana Jones, Schindler's List, Jurassic Park, Saving Private Ryan all hold up still

I also like Minority Report and Catch Me If You Can but idk if they deserve to be on the same "classics" list

• Locked thread