Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Oneavi
Dec 10, 2011

Boxbot was head of security.
I think Nolan's movies are "larger than life" in a lot of ways. Interstellar is rooted in a mythic journey filled with Big Ideas and one of the characters (Matt Damon) is basically a walking talking symbol. In Dark Knight all of the big three figures are more symbols than people. In that sense, I think condemning his movies as having no soul feels unfair. It never feels like the people we're watching are real people but I can still feel the message that Nolan's trying to convey through them. The souls of his movies always rest on the message, and I have to say that I really dig the relentless commitment Nolan has towards focusing on these mythic sorts of narratives. I think his movies do speak to people in a unique and valuable way, even if the characters themselves don't interact believably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread