Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

T.C. posted:

I was annoyed that the rebel pilot dude felt like a really superficial hero that we were supposed to be impressed by and hadn't earned it at all.

Then it looked like he died and I thought the director was trying to show how everyone is vulnerable and the new stormtrooper guy had to try to live up to a completely ridiculous ideal. I was interested.

But nope, not dead. Just an empty cool pilot hero guy.

From interviews I read when Force Awakens released, the rebel pilot dude Poe was supposed to die for real, but Abrams liked the actor so much that he reworked the script to keep him alive and bring him back later in the film.

That being said, I think Super 8 is a J.J. Abrams film with soul, and a great love letter to Spielberg. The kids all goof around with each other realistically, and when characters fail to connect (e.g. the police officer father and his son), it's done very intentionally to reflect their profound social isolation and grief following the mother's death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

ijii posted:

He struggled to beat Finn in a saber duel despite Finn not able to use the force or have experience in saber dueling.

That bugged me too, until I realized that he struggled to beat Finn after being shot in the torso by a gun that's usually instadeath. Finn probably also had a reasonable understanding of saber-like combat, as stormtroopers were trained and equipped with electric batons that could stop lightsabers.

Edit: which would provide for a nice excuse to make him a more capable combatant in the next film, after he's healed.

• Locked thread