Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Chwoka posted:

i think jj abrams wasn't paying attention to the good seasons of fringe or something because it turns out that actually having + telling a story is way way better than his "mystery box"

I'm pretty sure JJ Abrams didn't have anything to do with Fringe except producing it, after the pilot, which he did work on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, Jonah Nolan is the good one.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Sunshine is dope.

The entire thing. Not just the first 2/3 like some apostates claim.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I think that Interstellar is probably the most emotional of Nolan's films, and that's almost entirely because of the leads.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I really liked Interstellar, and that's not goin anywhere, but at the same time I feel that Arrival accomplished just as much in a much more cohesive package.

Edit: TARS is the best though. Easily in the top ten fictional robots of all time.

Snak fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Dec 2, 2016

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Kylo Ren is a great villain, not because he is great, but because it's surprisingly down to earth to have the bad guy just be a lovely rear end in a top hat with anger management problems who rebelled against his rebel parents way too hard.

I love Hannibal Lector and Darth Vader as much as the next person, but I also like it when a bad guy isn't as romanticized and put on a pedestal.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
They're just trying to accurately recreate the feel of the original trilogy. They're gonna nail it.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

super sweet best pal posted:

Kylo is good at being the kind of villain he is but it's hard to take him seriously as a threat. Same for the not-Empire.

The Empire was scary because it was an efficient, fascist machine. It was an establishment. It was Nazi Germany.

The New Order is scary because they are clueless zealots. The don't know how to build an empire, only how to destroy. They are ISIS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

VideoGames posted:

That is true. I had maybe hoped he would realise the enormity of what he had done and it would become a sort of redemption arc with the knowledge that one cannot redeem oneself from patricide. This is why I'm not a script writer!!

It's actually why Star Wars is kind of shallow and doesn't allow for very complex characters. it's such a codified "good versus evil" struggle, characters are never going swing very far. We get told "Anakin used to be good and turned to the dark side" and possible "Kylo used to be good, and turned to the dark side" and Vader gets like an ounce of redemption for saving Luke, but he's still a genocidal monster.

They're never going to show a good character actually turning evil, or admitting that an "evil" human can ever be forgiven. It's just so far out of the scope of Disney and Star Wars both.

• Locked thread