Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Have y'all ever noticed that some movies entirely fail at making their characters appear human? At making them connect with one another in a way that appears genuine at all? It's a pretty common thing with the directors I listed - "well we have the cool plot twists, interesting characters, insane set pieces, let's....have them interact with one another like a child smashing together barbie and ken dolls." I'm always taken out of these sorts of movies, because the dialogue comes off as like, a series of pithy quips instead of humans speaking with one another. Kirk and Spock in new star trek is one example - does anyone buy the growing relationship between them? At any point does it seem like actual rivals becoming friends and working together? It's like the director got to the part where the characters have to care about each other, hit "autogenerate" and walked away.

The opposite of this is Wes Anderson. His movies are weird, his characters are often stilted and offputting, and his sets are more like dioramas for how static and "filmy" they are, but the movies are full of heart and make you feel joy at the very real connections that build over the course of his movies. To me, this makes for a much better experience - it turns out the human connection and "realness" is a lot more important to me than any of the (enjoyably!) inane stuff that christopher nolan manages to shove onto the screen.

Use this thread to discuss this phenomenon, and most importantly, recommend me movies that have characters who act like real humans with real human concerns towards one another.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Dec 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Skoll posted:

I would further say that JJ Abrams has no soul.
I disagree - I suspect that he has a soul, and it's a drat shame that for all the money and resources he gets to use on his projects, he is unable to convey even a fraction of it onto the screen and thus our hearts.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

FishBulb posted:

I think The Prestige is pretty good but I can't really argue with your post at all.
I'm not even saying I don't like the movies. The prestige was very indulgent and fun, watching magicians gently caress with one another is enjoyable even without "soul". I'm not some sort of trend-hater, I enjoyed prestige and dark knight and memento myself, I'm just a little tired of it. I think nolan is a little better than abrams to me but it's definitely the same thing missing for both of them.

You can see where the actors are explicitly given emotions to act upon, they do it, like christian bale realizing he'd never see his daughter again, but any given piece dialogue may as well be between two strangers. There's no sense of how people would actually talk to a lifelong friend, a lover, or a rival anywhere in there - the scenes without strong emotions have no emotions.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GonSmithe posted:

The first JJTrek movie is probably the best Star Trek movie besides Wrath of Khan

It's the only one I've seen..........besides Nemesis for some reason. Still gotta watch the old ones. That doesn't sound like that high a bar to me.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Terror Sweat posted:

If abrams stuff has no soul, and nolans stuff has no soul, does westworld have a double no soul?
I haven't watched it yet but I'll let you know!

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Arc Light posted:

That being said, I think Super 8 is a J.J. Abrams film with soul, and a great love letter to Spielberg. The kids all goof around with each other realistically, and when characters fail to connect (e.g. the police officer father and his son), it's done very intentionally to reflect their profound social isolation and grief following the mother's death.

This is a good point, super 8 definitely hits notes the others don't. I think I ought to rewatch it paying attention to that specifically.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Honestly, interstellar felt like two movies smushed together, and I only liked one of them. I thought him coming home just because and reuniting with his daughter was pretty cheap - to me the emotional climax there was her realizing he was the ghost, that he cared all along, etc. That provides all the closure needed but then he still goes home anyway, erasing all of the stakes established earlier in the movie.

Speaking to the thread topic, did anyone get a sense that the emotional connection between the space man and his daughter was genuine? It seemed forced and not real to me, at no point did it seem like an actual father daughter relationship. They were able to, one again, show intense emotions when the scene called for it, but any other scene lacked the subtle clues that two people speaking give any fucks about each other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Snak posted:

I think that Interstellar is probably the most emotional of Nolan's films, and that's almost entirely because of the leads.
Matthew McConaughey certainly has a look that evokes despair, no doubt.

Would have definitely liked to have seen that in 70mm, I bet that did help. I can only imagine the scene where they realize the "cliff" in the distance is a huge wave.

• Locked thread