Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

If you really want to talk about batshit crazy Nazi film projects the conversation really begins and ends with Kolberg. It was a mega-huge project, one of the largest productions in the history of film up to that point. It was a period piece about the Napoleonic Wars with a MASSIVE goddamned cast. SOmething like 150,000 extras were involved in the key battle scenes. Even crazier, since this was a state supported project they used about 50,000 members of the military to fill out those numbers.

At one point a key scene takes place in the snow. Not wanting to wait for winter they trucked in a few thousand truckloads of salt.

Oh yeah, people died filming the battle scenes. Some explosive charges hosed up or something and some extras got toasted. This was a movie battle with actual casualties.

The best part? Filming stated in 1943 and finished in 1944. You know, when the Soviets were busy grinding the Wehrmacht into a fine red paste. I wonder if there is anything better they could have done with about 5 infantry divisions worth of military personnel?

It was released right at the end of the war and only ever got a very limited release. The whole thing is peak mental nazi bullshit front to end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread