Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

At the very least Illusionist doesn't demand a huge and abrupt suspension of disbelief like Tesla's magic box of clones. I like how Illusionist's ending is ambiguous enough to leave the viewer wondering if the whole thing was really a plot for revenge or if it was an elaborate hoax like the antagonist assumed at the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
I've only seen the 2010 Illusionist op

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

The illusionist had a cute bunny but the ending was really sad

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
I used to think the same, but The Illusionist is poo

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

A problem with The Illusionist is that his revenge ends up seeming pretty petty when you learn that the girl didn't actually die.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

super sweet best pal posted:

At the very least Illusionist doesn't demand a huge and abrupt suspension of disbelief like Tesla's magic box of clones. I like how Illusionist's ending is ambiguous enough to leave the viewer wondering if the whole thing was really a plot for revenge or if it was an elaborate hoax like the antagonist assumed at the end.

A lot of the magic tricks in The Illusionist are horseshit. Dude was making freestanding holograms.

A Doomed Purloiner
Jan 4, 2006

The Illusionist (2006) is garbage, but The Illusionist (2010) is good.

Fiddler on the Reef
Apr 29, 2011

Once you realize that the machine never actually worked, The Prestige gets a lot better.

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=196965

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fiddler on the Reef posted:

Once you realize that the machine never actually worked, The Prestige gets a lot better.

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=196965

What do you mean, once you realize. It's clear it's just a magic trick dude. It's a movie about loving stage magicians.

Fiddler on the Reef
Apr 29, 2011

Larry Parrish posted:

What do you mean, once you realize. It's clear it's just a magic trick dude. It's a movie about loving stage magicians.

the rest of the internet and everyone else I've talked to thinks it was real.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

the rest of the internet and everyone else I've talked to thinks it was real.

It's David Bowie claiming he's Nikolai Tesla. How dumb are these people?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The Prestige is a better movie than both The Illusionist films.

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.
Obligatory Now You See Me derail.

Artsygrrl
Apr 24, 2007

I'm just here.

Grimey Drawer
It was a treat to see Bowie play Tesla. Then again, I love seeing Mick Jagger pop up in movies. He's a hoot!

The long theory behind The Prestige was a fascinating read. Was Now You See Me at all watchable? Or was it prime material for Rifftrax?

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.
/\/\

It was watchable and even tolerable. I'm reluctant to say it was good though.

Fiddler on the Reef
Apr 29, 2011

key word for now you see me is "fun"

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Jenner posted:

Obligatory Now You See Me derail.

Things that really annoyed me about that movie, the way they tried to make their big trick happen because of practical magic but also put in a bunch of bullshit cg magic tricks and the way they frame Morgan Freeman's character when before he never really came off as the villain.

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011

key word for now you see me is "fun"

It was kinda fun yeah.

muscles like this! posted:

Things that really annoyed me about that movie, the way they tried to make their big trick happen because of practical magic but also put in a bunch of bullshit cg magic tricks and the way they frame Morgan Freeman's character when before he never really came off as the villain.

Same. I wanted real magic tricks* not CGI bullshit. :colbert:

*magic is not real.

And what is so evil about knowing magic isn't real and spoiling it? (And building a profitable business out of that.) Not explaining the trick is only a magician rule and Morgan Freeman's character is not a magician. I'm not sure how I feel about punishing non-magicians for breaking magician rules. I don't think spoiling things is illegal (but having a whole vehicle full of stolen money is.) Magician law is extreme!

A Doomed Purloiner
Jan 4, 2006

Jenner posted:

*magic is not real.

Magic isn't real, but tricks are.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

the illusionist is really only good on the skills of edward norton, paul giamatti, and the guy that plays the pronce

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Blue Raider posted:

the illusionist is really only good on the skills of edward norton, paul giamatti, and the guy that plays the pronce

You can tell those three are trying to hold the entire lovely movie on their backs, and they do as good a job as they possibly can.

• Locked thread