Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Octopussy is better than A View to A Kill and Live and Let Die and arguably Moonraker if only because of General Gogol's plotline and the theme song

I agree. It's one of the best three Roger Moore films, even if he's dressed as a clown. At least it makes some sort of sense given the plot and there's a lot of good stuff in it. Plus, Louis Jourdan really is a good Bond villain. Problem is, that's probably where the Moore films should have left off.

Colostomy Bag posted:

For the Live and Let Die fans, Clifton James, the lovable Cajun Sheriff Pepper is still alive at 95 years old.

Holy poo poo, that's pretty awesome.

Turbinosamente posted:

Don't get your hopes up too high as it's mostly implied (it's the 70s can't have too much gore and violence in a bond film yet) but it's a little chilling the way the camera pans up as the dogs catch up and pounce on her while the church bells start tolling in the background.

Edit: mis-remembered some details in the spoiler but still remembered the gist of it.

It's a chilling and kinda awesome scene, really. It's a good example of how evil Drax is..and in fact it's the only subtle moment in the drat film. Before and after is just pure madness from hovercraft boats to random locations to finally Bond as Star Wars and punnage ahoy.

Not that I hate Moonraker, but the tone of the whole affair is 'we're doing this because of Star Wars, ignore the underwritten bad guy and oh here's an unrealistic space fight.' It didn't do anybody any favors, even if it gave us all a second Jaws film and a nice way to write him off from the series.

Shinjobi posted:

Moonraker was dumb as hell and I love it for it.

This.

Artsygrrl posted:

Going back to campy Bond takes, has anyone else seen the MST3K episode 'Operation: Kid Brother'? For an apparent spoof(?), it has a lot of early Bond regulars in it.

Also Neil Connery.

It's basically 'Neil Connery and everybody from Thunderball,' once again proving that Thunderball is inexplicably one of the most redone Bond films ever despite being boring as sin.

Turbinosamente posted:

A yup I have seen MST3K'd Operation Kid Brother. It's slightly above average for a 1960s spy film it's put together pretty well. No worse than real spoofs like Derek Flint and thankfully not incomprehensible like Castle of Fu Manchu or Modesty Blaise. Though I prefer the riffs of Danger Death Day so that take my top spot for the spy movies done by MST3K.

Operation Kid Brother does have the best I can't believe it's not Bond opening theme song though.

1) Nothing compares to Danger Death Ray's cheap bathtub special effects.
2) "I KNOW!" *musical sting*

Artsygrrl posted:

Modesty Blaise was a great comic strip, so the weak film adaptation sort of hurt. If they wanted to keep the mood of Bond alive long enough to work on a reboot, I say bring back Modesty (but with way better writers).

Oh god this. That reminds me, I need to get the Blaise novels and comic strip books. I managed to get a few but those were quite interesting for what they were.

Turbinosamente posted:

Oh man would a proper Modesty Blaise film be great, but I'd be a little afraid that if they did one now we'd wind up with some sort of gritty realistic Jason Bourne super serious action film with spies in it. Even Bond himself has had all of the humor drained out, though I suppose you can't really reproduce the carefree feel of a 60s eurospy trash film nowadays. The Man from U.N.C.L.E. remake tried something like this and it was okayish: it still got kinda dark in a couple places and real mean spirited near the end with the villain's death.

Does anybody have any recommends for '60s Eurospy films? I'm all ears, even if we have to make a new thread for it. I know the Superargo films count even if they err a bit on the Diabolik side of things, but I do dig '60s superspy cheese.

Lobok posted:

Watched The Living Daylights last night again and it always saddens me a bit that Dalton only got two shots. He's so impressive in that film. Really the only fault I find in that film is when it gets slower and more confusing in the Afghanistan section but that part ends with the great airbase battle and plane fight stuntwork so it's worth it.

Also, that Bond car :swoon:

Nothing beats the Cello Snow scene. I still love that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread