Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
If you've seen a movie recently and have an opinion you'd like to share but don't think it's worth making a new thread over, post it here.

I'll start

There's a scene in Warcraft where a bunch of Ork smash human's heads into their torsos with big hammers, and then an Ork picks up a horse and throws it at two dudes, and a female Ork sees it and laughs. It pretty much the only enjoyable thing in the movie. Outside of that scene the Orks are all quiet noble savages

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

APpreciate the thought, OP, but, any thought at all about a movie deserves its own thread, and not a megathread, frankly. Unless its really obnoxious

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

net cafe scandal posted:

APpreciate the thought, OP, but, any thought at all about a movie deserves its own thread, and not a megathread, frankly. Unless its really obnoxious

But that will make people more hesitant to share their thoughts, since making a thread is a bigger deal than making a post. And If people do make threads for every passing movie opinion, there's gonna be a lot of very short threads that quickly sink off page 1.

Kleen_TheRacistDog
Feb 17, 2014

Can't bust the Krust fuckman
www.skullmund.com
Scrooged: It's really loud and obnoxious. Like, seriously. The whole movie is just like screaming and loud noises and over 50% of the characters talk in hyper-affected "kooky and wild" voices. Kill me.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Watched the Tina Fey / Amy Poehler film Sisters. It was okay.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
I watched Night of the Hunter this morning. It is absolutely fantastic and it's amazing that Charles Laughton only ever directed a single film in his career.

Obviously Robert Mitchum is the star and his performance is spectacular (the voice work he does alone is amazing) but the direction and cinematography are very good, with a lot of it recalling earlier German expressionism.

It also has a lot to say about religion, obviously it's easy to read Mitchum's character as evil, but it seems more likely to me that he is a sort of representation of the Old Testament god, where as the old lady who takes the two kids in at the end is more like Jesus, forgiving and trying to nurture the kids that stray from the path.

Anyways yeah I liked that.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Watched The Nice Guys over Thanksgiving. Kind of a stupid premise but surprisingly good and funny banter between Russel Crowe and Ryan Gosling, which seems like a weird thing to say. Plus you see large exposed breasts within the first five minutes so it's got that going for it as well. Would watch again.

Fiddler on the Reef
Apr 29, 2011

I watched ID4 resurgence. It was terrible.

I also watched the new TMNTs and they were surprisingly fun.

The new Captain America is predictable as hell but it had a bad guy you could sympathize with which almost never happens and went a long way towards redeeming yet another crappy superhero movie.

Batman v Superman was yet another crappy superhero movie.

Now You See Me 2. Also fun. Also funny because it panders to Chinese audiences so much. Why do the Chinese really like these movies??

Limitless was ok.

Midnight Special was also ok. The same guy did Take Shelter, which was a little better I think (THERE IS A STORM COMING!).

The new Star Trek: eh, was fine. All these big budget action/hero movies leave me with the same "ehhhh, was entertaining" feeling.

Speaking of which, I'm an hour into the new X-Men.

Zoolander 2 made me chuckle here and there.

The new Ghostbusters? It kinda pissed me off because the original was so freaking good and every character in the original was believable and you could relate to them. Not a single character in the new was: every single one was a caricature and simply would not exist in real life. Without exception. I was amazed.

If you're wondering, I run on a treadmill most nights now that's it's colder and watch movies on my iPad there. I don't watch anything that I think I'll really like, hence the kinda middle of the road movies.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I watched Batman v Superman and it sucked rear end

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I watched Batman v. Superman and it tried to do too much and it was bad.

I watched Dr. Strange and it didn't try to do anything and it was bad.

Arrival was okay but should have included more of the people actually learning the alien language

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

I saw Antman finally and it was alright. I kind of skipped ahead a few minutes fairly often. It's not that the scenes dragged on, it was just boring paint by the numbers and I wasn't that invested. My fave part was with the Falcon. I'm glad I didn't see it in theatres because it's a decent date night movie but nothing to phone home about.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

net cafe scandal posted:

I think there should be a weekend thread but otherwise you need to post a thread

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Wickerman is fantastic for making Nicholas Cage seem like he's not even acting.

Also it has the funny bees line.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

i watched ghosts of mars and it owns

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

i watched doctor strange and it was better than i expected. i thought all superhero movies are bad now because the civil war movie sucked but maybe some of them are actually good

Caithness
Nov 10, 2012

HEY!!!
YOU CAN SEE ME, CAN'T YOU? THEN WHY ARE YOU IGNORING ME!?
Zootopia was a confused mess, but at least it was a fun confused mess. Also it was the most Dreamworks-esque Disney movie I've ever seen.

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.
Dr. Strange was awesome, you're supposed to get high first though

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

there's a bit in bob roberts where tim robbins eats poo poo on his motorcycle while the interview team is talking to ray wise and everyone goes to check if he's ok and it completely fucks up the whole shot and everyone forgets they were having a convo with ray wise and that's a really nice touch that helps sell it as being a diegetic documentary

Peddle2thaMetal
Apr 17, 2012

ooooooooo yeaaaahhh
The Witch was kind of boring, but I enjoyed it.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Swiss Army Man was pretty much one of the best movies I've ever seen. This decade's Being John Malkovich.

Chwoka
Jan 27, 2008

I'm Abed, and I never watch TV.

GOD white heat is SO loving GOOD if only they got rid of the cop parts where bland good guys explain poo poo to death it'd be literally perfect

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe
I saw Dr Strange twice and was kinda bored the second time around but if you see it see it in the theater in 3D (i wouldn't normally recommend a movie in 3D but this one is good)

Arrival was good

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I watched It's a Mad Mad etc World for the first time and it really is too long but it's got a lot of funny as hell parts

It's amazing how far big name ensemble comedies or w/e have fallen

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol
Tom ford: hoe many layers or irony you on
Me: i dunno like 5 or 6 my dude
Tom Fored: you are like a little baby
watch this
Tom Ford: N O C T U R N A L A N I M A L S

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Shin Godzilla was loving AWESOME

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Just finished Ex Machina [2014] and it was pretty cool! Not the usual 'wow, can this AI pass the turing test and also maybe murder everyone?' sort of movie. It's nice to have your expectations sidestepped like that. I'd recommend it if you're into sci fi movies about super smart computers!

Bonus: no incest! :v:

ryanbruce
May 1, 2002

The "Dell Dude"
I somehow didn't read the book in HS, but I watched Fahrenheit 451 (1966, since I'm sure there are plenty of releases) last night as a bit of a date night. She wanted drama, I was scrolling through Plex and by F- I was tired of scrolling and went "Sure why not? I've been meaning to read this now that I've heard another reference to it this week".

loving hell. The pacing was sooooooooooo slow. Probably my millennial ADD Michael Bay rotted mind, but it could easily have been 30-45 minutes shorter.

I also felt that the primary firefighter character was an idiot about how he was handling things, especially given his stupid and drugged up wife.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

I don't remember the name of it but I recently saw a movie where they started a band and it was pretty good, i'd recommend it if I knew what it was called

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Bloody posted:

I don't remember the name of it but I recently saw a movie where they started a band and it was pretty good, i'd recommend it if I knew what it was called

Linda Linda Linda is a really good version of this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5cgwB47f7I

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Bloody posted:

was it The Commitments, that movie is pretty good

3 A.M. Radio
Nov 5, 2003

Workin' too hard can give me
A heart attACK-ACK-ACK-ACK-ACK-ACK!
You oughtta' know by now...
Watched Finding Dory and I enjoyed it, but Pixar is getting just a little too blatant with their emotional manipulation. I'm at the point where, as a 31-year old adult male, I watch Pixar movies alone so I don't have to bear the shame.

I still haven't watched Inside Out because I didn't feel like crying.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Batman V. Superman was terrible

X-Men Apocalypse was dull

Ghostbusters 2016 was dumb, but better than Ghostbusters 2

Rollergator is the worst film ever made

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vg3s7xV__X8

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

I saw fantastic beasts and where to find them and it was boring as hell. The CG looked like a video game cutscene.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Bought The Little Prince (2016) off the PSN store for five bucks.

As someone who always wanted to watch the cartoon as a child, but didn't because it was on the french language station ( :canada: ), I really enjoyed it.
Better than Inside Out, in my opinion. Dealt with themes of imagination, childhood, cultural assimilation, and more. C'est magnifique.

GonSmithe posted:

Shin Godzilla was loving AWESOME

:frogon: I'm keen to know more, since America never met a Japanese IP it couldn't ruin, and I want to hear about the newest Toho release. I haven't seen one since Tokyo SOS, with Captain Gordon.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Dec 3, 2016

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Mister Macys posted:

:frogon: I'm keen to know more, since America never met a Japanese IP it couldn't ruin, and I want to hear about the newest Toho release. I haven't seen one since Tokyo SOS, with Captain Gordon.

The movie is more focused on the beuracracy and the people who are being devastated by Godzilla attacking Japan, but it's great. It's really funny, and the scenes where they show just how destructive Godzilla actually is are harrowing.

I can understand why people might not have liked the beuracracy angle, but Godzilla has always been very political. It's much closer to the original in tone than any of the Monster-Beat-'Em-Ups, but with a sense of humor.

There's a Japanese woman who is supposed to be from America and she is cringingly horrible, though.

3 A.M. Radio
Nov 5, 2003

I watched Slap Shot for the first time the other night, and I was really surprised by what the movie ended up being. Any time I heard anything about the movie, it was in regards to the Hansen brothers, so I kind of assumed the movie was about them, and I also assumed it was pretty much a goofy comedy movie.

After it got going and the Hansen's were introduced, I thought that it would take on the typical tropes and they would find out these idiot dudes were actually amazing hockey players, and would go on to lead them to the championship, thus saving the franchise. Which I GUESS is technically what happens, but not in the typical way.

Anyways, in the end I was surprised that it ended up being an actual movie with a real story, and not a zany slapstick comedy.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
I didn't care for the movie, but then, I'm one of the five Canadians that think fighting should be banned in the NHL, sooo :v:

Paul Newman is a great captain though.

3 A.M. Radio
Nov 5, 2003

Mister Macys posted:

I didn't care for the movie, but then, I'm one of the five Canadians that think fighting should be banned in the NHL, sooo :v:

Paul Newman is a great captain though.

Yeah, it was a very conflicting movie, and I wasn't really sure what message it was trying to convey. Yeah, the fighting is bad, but it's the only way they're becoming popular, which is the only chance they have of keeping their jobs. So should they just let themselves get creamed at the end to support the spirit of the game, or fight dirty to save themselves?

I thought it was a nice moral dilemma.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Watched Megaforce today. This image sums my feelings about that movie up pretty well:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

"Chi Raq" is pretty much a retelling of Lysistra but set in Chicago and about Black and poc trying to do something about gang warfare. It's pretty alright? I kind of hate musicals so the minor rap parts isn't really my thing. But the plot is interesting and the acting is pretty good. The best part is with the southern army general man and the main character. That made it all worth it.

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Watched Megaforce today. This image sums my feelings about that movie up pretty well:

Welp I'm sold.

Also I'm watching 'The Purge: Anarchy' and oh no. In the first 15 minutes there's a boring jump scare with some real slo mo shots of white people staring at scary punk [black?] kids skating around a grocery store parking lot. Christ alive I'm thinking I might regret watching this but gently caress it. Maybe every one will die horrible deaths which is why I'm watching it.

• Locked thread