Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lohli
Jun 30, 2008
I just remembered there was a new thread due, I nearly lost you nerds :saddowns:

Hard posted:

This is a good Castle advice.
After a while you learn to know which operator carries what. Gadgets callouts play a huge part in the strategy.
Keep a castle or 2 until later in the round to completely block access or create funnel routes.

No, wait until your entire team has gone roaming, and then join them, remembering to lock up the point with your barricades so no bad guys can get in!

Hard posted:

As for MM, while its frustrating getting stomped theres a lot to learn in losing if you take the time to understand why you died instead of raging.

To expand on this, there is a lot to learn from playing with experienced players who can feed you info about how things (can)work outside of the obvious application of various mechanics, like what was posted a little while back about getting more use from valk cams by blowing out the top of a wall and tucking the camera into the hole, and how certain gadgets are a bit of a mixed bag because not every gadget only has an upside to it's use.

Castle's improved barricade, for example, is pretty notorious for ruining games because team-mates get shut out of objectives, and has the downside of still allowing through Fuze's cluster-bomb gadget which leaves a neat little murderhole in the barricade for the attackers to use.

The best thing you can do when you get killed is to watch the killcam, it won't be that often that it's a really simple case of them shooting better than you in a firefight.
A lot of the time it's going to be a guy noticing where you were from a certain spot because of sound or a camera and then making a move on you, and that sort of thing gives you a really good idea of when and where you're vulnerable from certain positions and gives you and your teammates something to look for.

Also if you're playing with goons, ask questions, there mostly aren't really any super dumb questions, pubbies are less likely to be helpful, they usually won't be dicks but they almost certainly won't contribute.

Sound is super important and listening to things like footsteps is how a lot of kills happen, so if someone says "shut up/quiet/shhh", you do it, they're not being rude, they're just having an Elmer Fudd moment and gotta kill da wabbit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lohli
Jun 30, 2008
Presumably that will change by the end of the season?

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

Ularg posted:

Don't you know that you should never play ranked to get better at the game?! You should only play scrims if you want that! /s

Black Griffon posted:

In my case he was really angry that I dared to step into the ranked cathedral while still learning the game. When will I learn to grovel and trash with the foolish mobs of the casual proletariat?

In all seriousness, ranked is probably not where you should be if you're still learning the game. Ranked is where people usually go to play the game a little more seriously and it sucks to effectively play the game a man down because someone hasn't yet learned fundamentals like how to deal with various gadgets or general map layouts(let alone the actual rooms for callouts).

There's also the issue of if you queue with good players then it's going to inflate your rating and leave you hopelessly outclassed if you ever play ranked by yourself.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Give information about your death first, then rage or whatever.

Also rage off mic.

Nobody wants to hear you screech "gently caress"/"BULLSHIT"/"HOW THE gently caress DID HE KILL ME" when being unhelpful by not telling folks what happened is bad enough.

While it's totally ok for the precise relaying of information to not be the first thing that comes to mind when you die(it really is a learned skill), that sort of shrill ragey screaming poo poo is something that is so annoying to listen to that it'll cause you to find yourself sitting alone in a voip channel while groups fill up around you.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Yeah that's my question, what exactly is the situation that your voice comes out of the speakers? :confused:

Player 1 says something over VOIP
Sound comes out of Player 2's speaker
Player 2's mic picks up audio from the speakers and transmits game audio and/or voip whenever Player 2 hits their PTT key.

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

I'm surprised I haven't seen a plague of glazs myself considering this is a modern military shooter. I guess with the way gun play works in the game they dont need to be a sniper to have an inflated sense of skill and become operator as fuk.
I wonder who is the people who think they know what they're doing but don't character.

I've noticed the further from release you look the less popular Glaz is, it took a while but I think people eventually realised that you can't just be the dead-weight sniper every game.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Otherwise I think you have a good point about ~Le Operators~ picking 3 speed attackers, in line with current meta.

3 speed + angled grip has certain encounters feeling like COD and Siege were mashed together in a really nasty unfun way.

I wouldn't mind so much if it weren't for just how quiet the 3 speed guys are, it feels like it's too easy to have an Ash or Hibana get the drop on you.

Ularg posted:

I get smoke because his gadget is basically like throwing a less lethal C4 and is asking to have the guy come around and kill you mid-throw. But how is Thatcher hard to play? You just throw his grenade down where the breacher asks and then you throw another one inside the objective room. Is his guns supposed to be bad/hard to use? I don't even know what constitutes a good gun anymore or a gun that I like using. I like going Rook/Doc because I feel their skills can be super useful but end up feeling like I'm gimping my team because of my weapon choices.

The difficulty in Thatcher is knowing when and where to throw things as well as the general responsibility you have to help breachers get in before you get toasted, it's harder than it used to since the EMP range got nerfed quite badly. Just throwing poo poo where the breachers mark works fine most of the time, but other times you need to use some initiative and that's where things like knowing the room layout and where gadgets are is necessary.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

Party Plane Jones posted:

Talking about the ingame voice, yeah. poo poo has been hosed since release basically, which is why everyone uses a third party program.

Proper VOIP programs have definitely always been better than siege's ingame stuff but with, I think, the latest big update it seems like lots of people are much much quieter than before.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

cinci zoo sniper posted:

British, French, and especially German, shotguns are fantastic to use. American and Russian not so much.

The Russian shotgun is the only one that feels "bad" to me just because I've never had any real luck with it, it's always felt too much like a pea-shooter though I haven't used it since it got buffed(when all the other semi-auto shotguns got nerfed).

Though looking again at the notes from that update, it looks like it was the shittiest of them before they all got nerfed.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

I said come in! posted:

I am confused by the wording of the Siege Year 2 Gold Edition. Does it include the Season 1 pass or do I still need to buy that too? I am retarded, sorry.

Year 2 Gold Edition = base game + Year 2 Season Pass
Complete Edition = base game + Year 2 Season Pass + Legacy Operators Bundle(year 1 operators)

edit:Legacy Operators Bundle also available separately in the ingame store iirc.

lohli fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Dec 9, 2016

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

Feel free to join either the discord and/or mumble goons if you want decent people to play with, for the most part everyone is quite a bit above average and is usually super chill and helpful.

Ularg posted:

Only time I'll get to play Ranked will be in the middle of the night on the east coast 11pm-9am EST. I think at this point the ranked pool will be so small I'll always end up against people outside my skill level/rank.

If you're looking for easy ranked wins don't play when it's only going to be the nolifers who can actually stay up all night playing videogames who are around.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008
Please give me a "buy all attachments" button already.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

Mr E posted:

Can I play Siege with goons if I just hit level 10 last night and sometimes do good things?

Nobody cares whether you're new or even good, as long as you're a hip happenin' dude :c00lbutt:

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

The Duggler posted:

Lately I've just been giving the ol walls a spittle of sledgy sledgy and rushing and I usually get 1-2 people deep inside the building before I am gunned down horribly.

Fast siege is fun siege

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7zqlajdoYw&t=45s

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

Dante18907 posted:

Oh btw why does your armour section looks different on the ui? I've seen this a couple times and always wondered.

It's an old video from before they did some UI reworks, you can't see armour mid-round anymore.

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Of course it was a roaming Doc that had to be the last one alive. Because why woulden't it be Doc that tries to roam :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMxa6i12Z9w

:smug:

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

Black Griffon posted:

I don't know how to get comfortable with the Fuze's LMG though. I feel the RPM is way slow, and while it's perfect for thunt, it's getting me killed in real games. Tips?

You need to simultaneously play cautiously while using it as a bullethose that knows no rest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnLX2cwF44k

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Given the balance policy concerning DLC operators, I'd be surprised as hell if this wasn't the case. I have not played enough Hibana myself to say if it's good or too good, but it seems to handle well, and dish out decent damage.

The only standout "overpowered when introduced" characters have been Frost and her Super 90 which was much more effective than any other shotgun in the game by far, and BlackBeard who just took a second round of very significant nerfs. The rest of the DLC operators have been fine, and outside of a brief period of them being a little more effective because people weren't sure how to deal with them yet are basically as good/bad a pick as anyone else.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008
I'm not sure I'd agree with that, echo kinda sucks and is a bit of a lovely way to encourage defenders to be idle and monitoring drones/cams before they get killed, between his 3armour snail's pace clomping around and the fairly large amount of time it takes to get off his phone it's very hard to actually take advantage of his drone in situations where teammates can't help. It basically condemns him to the consolation hell of helping your team by watching cams usually reserved for the shameful idiot who gets themselves killed at the start of the round.This is often me anyway!

Caveira, while not bad mechanically, is a good way to end up with dead weight because her gimmick encourages/worsens bad habits like not returning to an objective from roaming until it's way too late.

As for underperforming, I think the only operator it's safe to say has underperformed significantly is Tachanka because his turret was mostly a good way to get him killed, and operator gimmicks aside it's mostly the case that operator performance is pretty directly related to the player's ability to click on heads.

Also somewhat related, half the time I see Capitao get picked his crossbow doesn't even get used, a lot of the time it seems like people's favourite picks are down to guns or "having a favourite character" rather than gadgets.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008
Speaking of hackers, I just got killed in a way that looked really suspicious to me that has me wondering about whether or not "lag-switching" is something that works in this game.

Had a guy chase me around a corner, and despite my having been around yet another corner I died with no sign of him until I got the kill message. The killcam showed me running around the 2nd corner on the killcam and showed him shooting at thin air to kill me.

The spooky bit is that it was like he was firing at a stationary target, as if I'd stopped dead still, rather than having him aiming like he was tracking a moving target.

Presumably stopping incoming traffic for a short while(seconds at most) works?

lohli
Jun 30, 2008
Yes nighttime favela is fuckity if your settings are cranked.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008
If you set shading to low mid-round it unfucks your framerate in my experience, though shading is one of the settings that needs a map reload to start working properly, but seems to effect enough change mid-round to get you a good framerate back on Favela for whatever reason.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

IceOrb posted:

Hard we need answers for the important questions and we need them now.

Starting with what the gently caress this is:

http://imgur.com/FoykImq

No actual fixes for lighting, only mapping workarounds, expect to see a little archway made out of vents placed around each door and window.

Eventually I'm sure they'll get tired of doing it per door/window and will just scale up the model to a ridiculous size and each map will have a giant archway that blots out the sun.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

slap me and kiss me posted:

AMD's new ReLive system, once I installed it for the second time, is phenomenal for recording.

Doesn't seem to be working in Siege for me, I wondered if BE was blocking the hotkeys/overlay, but I've seen that others have been able to get it working, did you have to do anything special to get it to play nice with Siege(or rather, for Siege to play nice with it)?

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

Sure did. Step one was swearing at it for 30 minutes as I couldn't figure out why it was just saving 4kb files to the destination folder. Step two was completely uninstalling all my Radeon software and drivers. Step three was a fresh install, and then it all worked great.

When you say a fresh install I assume you're talking about running something like DDU and reinstalling drivers? Or do you mean the game?

Already did the former to no avail, poo poo works great in other games though.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

I meant the former. If you've tried that, then I'm plum out of ideas. It looks like a bunch of people are having difficulty with it, so I'm sure there will be some fixes real soon.

Fix your game, Hard.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008
Or use 4.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqJSp_AsRkU

Edit: Sorry about the swede with a borked mic.

lohli fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Dec 22, 2016

lohli
Jun 30, 2008
With all the stats that get tracked, I imagine they could do a bunch of things retroactively, add a little generic t-hunt terrorist charm for however many thousands of kills and take into account previous kills, etc, so that people don't feel like they're having to work up to milestones from nothing.

Maybe have multiple tiers of milestones with reskinned charms.
Maybe do something with the chibi charms where people can get some kind of garish horrible gold/diamond reskin of the charm(gotta buy the charm of course) if they get enough kills as the operator or with the charm equipped or something.

There are enough stats being tracked that an obscene number of these sorts of challenges could be available.

I imagine it would drive sales of charms as well, so even if ubi doesn't care about adding things to the game for the sake of making things fun/interesting for the players they should do it for the money.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

Hard posted:

Seriously man stop it they're gonna refund.

Tell the mappers to fix your game, hard.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008
It would be nice if there were a system to detect and punish or at least filter out smurf accounts, I don't take issue playing good players, but it really sucks to end up on a ranked team that has myself and a bunch of new/bad players come up against a full team of obvious smurfs which includes a level 2 guy spawnkillling actual new players.

Edit:

Also please fix the barricade debris fuckery that 99% of the time leaves you with debris where the barricade broke that you can't see through but everyone else can.

lohli fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Jan 2, 2017

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

Siege seems to be better than other games in that there are actual error codes to reference, but there are still an awful lot of things wrong with the game from a purely "is this thing working as intended" standpoint, where matchmaking is incredibly unreliable and often seems to require lengthy waits or to requeue multiple times because it either appears to be stuck due to a 5 minute unchanging matchmaking screen or because when it does seem to be switching into throwing players together it then errors out for half of them, the entire lighting situation, apparent inconsistencies in the damage model for both the environment and player hit-registration.

When stuff like that isn't getting in the way, it is GOTY2015-2017, but how good the game is just makes it that much more frustrating when technical issues are getting in the way.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008
Revivals are pretty rare generally, and seem to be especially rare in t-hunt since the bots don't really go for anything but headshots most of the time.

The whole respawn thing is really a matter of respawns being at odds with the game, it's a game where someone dying is supposed to be a really big deal and giving players extra lives goes against everything I think the devs wanted the game to be and what the players understand it to be.

The only thing to recommend is playing more carefully, which you're free to do in t-hunt since you're not really playing against the clock in the same way you are in regular multiplayer.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

Megasabin posted:

I'm not sure why it's funny that I couldn't even get the product to work after 2 hours of tinkering.

Probably the comment about dodging a bullet if that's indicative of quality control, he's a QA manager of some sort at the Ubi studio that made the game.

And it's worth noting that that error code is one they claimed to have largely dealt with so it's likely a case of fixing it for most people, and complaints about it's resurgence seem to come with inconsistent information, sometimes it's out of nowhere, sometimes it's after a patch where things worked fine before and now does not while people with seemingly identical setups have no similar issues. The few people a month that post about it are going to be a drop in the bucket when compared to other widespread, replicable, and generally more pressing issues. On the odd occasion when that error starts coming up for more than a couple of people(because something actually broke), Ubi have chimed in to say "Hey we're looking into it" and then post updates until stuff is fixed, which from what I've seen has generally been within a few hours.

You could try opening up the gamesettings.ini file in %USERPROFILE%\Documents\my games\Rainbow Six - Siege\<string of letters+numbers\ and changing the datacentre(at the bottom) to something other than what you were connecting to normally, should be easy to work out what you were already connected to based on where you live but to be sure you can hit f10 or hit the options/settings button ingame where it should say which you're connected to next to your nat type.

Some have claimed success using a VPN to beat the problem, and for others the problem hasn't persisted more than a day or two. :iiam:

CortezFantastic posted:

Speaking of bugs

I was on University and was on top of the roof. Went to rappel down and my game went into a black LSD trip basically. Could barely see anything on the screen.
Ignore the horrendously desynced audio, couldn't be bothered fixing it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3f9pfG5-e3k
:haw:

lohli fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Jan 4, 2017

lohli
Jun 30, 2008
Also something I noticed with the last MVP challenge.

I got it with slightly less than the required amount of points, but I remember that someone on my team had a booster going(and so I had +10%), is it not actually based on the points, but the renown reward for the points you get at the end of the match which, without boosters, should directly relate to score, which would make it affected by renown boosters?

lohli
Jun 30, 2008
Maybe they goofed and somehow made it cumulative where you need to be mvp to accumulate points? Or where being mvp would add points to whatever your progress(highest score) was?

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

When I did that ranked match with you and was fifth place with 5k points I got the disco ball.

Well 5k should have been enough for it anyway, it usually hasn't cared whether or not anyone is actually mvp if they've scored above the required points.

But what I'm getting at is that the progress bar for that challenge basically just shows your highest score, but I wonder if somehow it was bugged out so that if you were MVP it would instead add your score as mvp to the existing challenge "progress". Or maybe that's how it is supposed to work, where points as mvp stack/accumulate but people overshoot the tiny goals in one game so much that nobody is going to notice or benefit from it working like that.

Maybe I am overthinking things again.

Megasabin posted:

Well looks like we can't get the refund because I spent too much time in the game, even though the entirety of the time was trying to get the game to work. Since that's the case I'm going to get this drat thing to work if it's the last thing I do.

If you claim in the refund reason that the entire playtime has been spent trying to get the game to work it might go through.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

Moatman posted:

Does Siege not count kills as you're dying? I headshot traded with a Cavi and didn't get the points

You, very stupidly, don't get to see the kill or points feeds while in the killcam, and so can't really tell if you got a kill or a down or if despite the little kill marler showing up you're going to bee denied your kill.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008
I hope you taking away our precious raptor legs is a joke.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008
Do you mean they'll explode and blow a hole in the thing they were attached to or just that they'll do damage to you without wrecking walls?

Also the most annoying thing with Hibana is it seeming like you can get the gadget through a pretty big hole but apparently the hole isn't actually big enough so now you have 6 explody things sitting on the edge of a hole taunting you.

Fix your game

lohli
Jun 30, 2008
I played with some bad euros with another goon and now I'm too scared of what rank I'm going to end up with to finish my last couple of placement matches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lohli
Jun 30, 2008
Yeah but I wanted to just hit plat straight away and then forget about it.

Also something I have been wondering, because this game is dumb and broken and has silly things like completely separate ratings for US + EU, what happens with regards to the end of season charms if someone has a different rank in each region? Do they get a charm for each thing or do they get whichever is highest, or do they get it based on which datacentre they connect to when the charm is being doled out?

• Locked thread