Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
I don't like loot crates, it just takes away any uniqueness to getting the good skins. In Overwatch I can spend months saving up enough gold to buy a legendary skin for my main, and somebody else can just roll the same skin without ever touching the character. When I see a legendary skin in Overwatch it has pretty much zero impact for me now, whereas when I see someone that put down a chunk of renown for a uniform in Siege I'll know they're probably decent with the operator, or at least that they're invested in them. Kinda bummed that's gonna be lost now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
I could but getting a skin for reasons other than showing it off sounds pretty dumb in a first person game where you never actually get to see it yourself.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
I wear Vacation since I know I'm the only person who'll ever actually have it.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
I appreciate that half the operators are hilariously wide-eyed in the preview shots

also that hibana actually looks asian now

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
Anyone got tips on how to reliably reset people now? The last few times I tried, even when it's just a single shot from a pistol into their leg, they still just die outright. So I thought they must have just patched it out entirely, but I just saw Serenity is still doing it. What am I missing?

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

Jehde posted:

Any sort of sight attachment just fucks with your peripheral vision so I stick to iron sights

Maybe there are some exceptions but I pretty strongly disagree with this on the whole. You sacrifice some peripheral vision (not even that much unless you're using a holo or acog though) to gain way more vision of what you're actually looking at; most of the ironsights have a bunch of extra poo poo stuck running down the length of the gun, whereas the sights are just dots.

For attachments I mostly use the flash hider for the extra visibility, but also because I'm too lazy to experiment. Then suppressors on pistols to shoot gadgets and cameras stealthily, plus I'm not pro enough to pick a pistol attachment with kills in mind.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
I find the acog makes me too passive, even though I'm more comfortable with it. It's definitely a sight with an objective utility though, whatever your personal preference.

Jehde posted:

I much prefer to have a little obfuscation close to where I'm aiming rather than any obfuscation on the periphery, much easier to manage multiple angles that way. It may seem unintuitive at first but peripheral vision is much more important than what you're already focusing at in a game like Siege. The aforementioned low ready style of aiming negates the effect of the gun obscuring below the sights, although it's pretty rare that you'll be shot from below anyways. It works for some, doesn't for many. Most people will be used to a traditional video game crosshair, I'm more used to playing spergy games without crosshairs. It boils down to personal preference.

There are some sights that are better about not loving with your periphery too much, most of the Russian sights are good at this from what I recall, but rather than trying to mix and match sights I just stick to what I'm used to and keep things consistent.

I guess I see your point, but don't you find reflex sights give you much the same effect? They really don't obscure much at all, especially now the triangle dot got changed to be tiny. I have had a few instances with a holosight where it definitely made me miss a guy 'cause I was aiming 2 feet above his head and the sight obscured him, but I haven't really had that with the others.

Also out of curiosity, what FOV do you play at? I had a huge period when I started playing where I was adjusting it back and forth- in most games I play at max, but in Siege I couldn't make out poo poo with it like that. Now mine's much more in the middle but I do wonder if it has a negative effect on how I play- most of my friends play on minimum I think.

Koramei fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Mar 1, 2017

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

Jehde posted:

not to mention the average range of engagement in Siege is like 10 metres.

This is probably where most of our disagreement is coming from, because this is not at all the average range of engagement for me. I agree peripheral vision is more important at those ranges. I am my group's resident thermite/hibana though so I might stay at longer ranges than is normal.

And yeah I was talking about the housing on sights. I'm not sure I've ever had an issue with it at all on the reflex, it's super tiny, maybe smaller than some ironsights even. The obstruction issue you're talking about only happens with the other three sights in my experience.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

Bilal posted:

You have got to be loving joking

when the announcement for the new ops was leaked it was Spain, Hong Kong, Israel, South Korea. then a ton of people whined about there being no Poland on the subreddit, and the official announcement came out a bit later with Poland instead of Israel.

probably just a mixup and Israel were never intended to be included though. Incidentally I have no loving idea why people want Polish ops so much.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Can't wait to play Fuze with a lumber axe, a hilariously oversized polearm, and a micro-trebuchet that can launch 5 javelinas into enemy encampment.

?

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
Is it just me or have terrorists started blowing themselves up on literally every single charge they plant now? It went from one or two a game to like 10 a game.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

CJ posted:

I've been idling in Terrorist Hunt for the better part of the last 12 hours and i've got 15k renown out of it so far. Should i use it to buy Buck or Frost to do the weekly once they fix it?

Wait, how do you get renown out of that? Don't you get 0 unless you get a certain threshold of kills?

I imagine you're getting assloads of the ever-vital XP though.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
Oh I didn't even think about doing it out of solo queue. You don't get kicked for that?

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
Yeah pro league frost still looks like no other defender to me, she's incredibly bulky. Maybe the black is a little confusing at first but that doesn't take long to learn at all, and she still stands out because of the giant gold kneepads and stuff.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
Montagne, Twitch, Blackbeard, Kapkan, Tachanka, Doc, and Pulse all got huge overhauls, as I remember. Montagne's shield didn't used to extend sideways (so he was pretty worthless- as I remember, blitz was actually the most common shield to see before that), twitch only got one drone and couldn't use it during prep, blackbeard only had one shield but it was much stronger, kapkan's lasers had a giant hook revealing their position and glowed the brightest and most fluorescent of reds, tachanka didn't have his shield, doc's darts could only be used for revives (no healing), and pulse got his gadget overhauled for way better visibility, it used to be much harder to use. Maybe there's some more I'm forgetting too.

Then some other balance changes have made some operators play pretty differently too. Frost used to be a goddess until they nerfed her auto shotgun like hell (it needed it) and took away her nitro cells. Actually a lot more operators used to have nitro cells in general before they added impact grenades. And shields didn't have resistance to explosives too back then, so they were pretty much worthless for a while. Thermite used to actually be fun back in the day when he had frag grenades. Fuze and bandit both got extra charges, Valkyrie used to have one more camera, thatcher's emps used to have an insanely large range. A lot of general weapon changes too, the game has changed a lot over the past year.

edit: oh yeah right, I forgot how bad buck used to be. IQ's gadget got changed too, you couldn't see through it back in the day. Wow it was useless.

Koramei fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Mar 13, 2017

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
Random objectives in casual is the best thing about the mode, it forces you to try out points you wouldn't otherwise touch.

Kinda wish attackers could pick their spawn so they don't always charge in from the same direction though, but maybe that'd be imbalanced.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

quote:

The DMRs’ maximum “trigger” rate has been lowered to prevent very rapid firing. This change was made because the maximum trigger rate was too high. Some people were able to click so fast on their mouse that it turned the DMR into a fully automatic AR. We felt like this was too strong.

:negative:

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

Party Plane Jones posted:

I played against some guy who literally sounded like his DMR was automatic, it was insane.

that's me, and it's satisfying as hell. I'll have to get buck out of my system today while I still can I guess.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

causticBeet posted:

Edit: heat sources such as existing pipes and grates on maps glowing, other areas that would make sense to radiate heat - maybe also appliances, vehicles, etc

Painstakingly pouring through every object in every map in the game to work out what would emit heat sounds like way more effort than it's worth for a single gadget.

I do think the hostage and probably teammates should glow the same yellow though but maybe there are balance reasons to not do that.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
I dunno, I play with EU friends regularly and when I go back to US servers it always feels like the EU players are markedly better. I wouldn't be surprised if it's the most populated server region too.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
Yeah I think Castle needs some big changes next, he's a trap pick in almost every situation.

Nickname Pending posted:

Now, I'd be surprised to go a match where he didn't show up.

This happens every time there's a big operator change like this, for what it's worth. It hasn't even been a week since the update, things will settle down a bit before long.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

Major Isoor posted:

I've found that there's often three - not always, though. I'm not sure if that's because I'm (possibly) playing at a different difficulty level, though.

Two on normal, three on hard, four on realistic.

If you find bombers difficult now be glad you weren't fighting them 6 months back or whatever, they ate a huge nerf in one of the patches. Before that, they'd tank like half a clip right into their heads.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

Nickname Pending posted:

Am I the only one who thinks it's better to crouch place the mirrors? That way people can't hide under them.

If it gets popped open you're hosed since it becomes so much harder to quick peak with it.

I do use crouching mirrors in a few points so I can stay watching from behind the safety of a shield, but I haven't worked out if it's actually a good strategy or not yet.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
Castle just being able to make deployable cover anywhere he wants might be kinda cool, like a shield but standing height.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I don't see many people fall in either traps. Not to say Kapkan or Frost is useless, but I struggle to think of a realistic scenario where I'd intentionally want either on my team, over some other defense operator.

Frost is great on any point where you hold windows. When someone vaults, they have the choice of trying to kill you and fall in the trap, or kill the trap and die to you. Same for holding the hostage point if you force them to vault over a shield. Especially now that rounds are only 3 minutes too, people often don't have enough time to methodically clear them out.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
:jerkbag:

besides anything else we're talking about a pick for a newbie

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

Great Beer posted:

Always put a sight on the shotguns. It makes them way more reliable for some reason.

Wait, is there actually a difference in how they shoot? Or just that you find it feels better to use them?

Shotguns are the only weapons I don't use a sight with.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
Oh right, lasersights. Yeah I only ever use those on shields personally.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
I'm the designated Hibana/Thermite (mostly Thermite now since Hibana's charges dud for me more often than not these days) in my group. Then Bandit, Mira or Frost on defense where applicable.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
I wasn't gonna be this pedantic rear end but it's come up this way like 5 times now in the thread so. It's Kowloon Walled City. "Kowloon" is a major region in Hong Kong with millions of people in it, saying you want a Kowloon map could mean you want a marketplace or skyscraper or stadium or restaurant or anything a normal city would have.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

Zaphod42 posted:

That's like saying you want a New York map when you're talking about New York City.

OH DEAR :ohdear: what a terrible blunder! How dare people shorten things! Context like pictures is clearly not allowed.

ITS CALLED NEW YORK CITY HELLO

E: Or saying New York City when you mean Manhattan! Or saying Manhattan when you mean Times Square!!! Where does it end?!

Your last example is pretty accurate. You don't see how that's weird? Or saying you want a Manhattan map when you actually mean you want a map of Billy's Topless Bar on 24th Street. There's a lot more to Kowloon than the walled city.

Koramei fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Apr 9, 2017

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
Where the hell are you all playing? I have like 300 hours in this game and while I've seen a fair share of douchy comments, I've literally never seen stuff like that.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

Koramei posted:

Where the hell are you all playing? I have like 300 hours in this game and while I've seen a fair share of douchy comments, I've literally never seen stuff like that.

So I turned voice chat on again for the first time since I started playing and, well, I revise this stance.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
Well that's pretty douchey when they purposefully do it, but most of the time there's a mismatch like that I expect you're just playing people in a group. When my group started playing, a few of us had barely touched a Tom Clancy game before and barely scraped by in bronze, but the other two had been platinum on console and watched lots of prerelease stuff and all that. Especially since the playerbase was much smaller back then, it made for some really wonky games. In both directions though- fighting platinums as a bronze back then did wonders for my k/d, let me tell you.

e: it's the same deal with the whole ping cheesing thing. if some people on reddit had their way, cross-continent play'd be disabled. yeah I get that it sucks when someone edits their server location so they get a lag advantage, but then I need that for whenever I disconnect from a game with my European friends or the thing won't let me back in mid round at all. People scum poo poo but there's legitimate uses for it too.

Koramei fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Apr 17, 2017

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
It's casual dude, people just use it to mess around. If you want a challenge for your leet skills then you should play ranked.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
They swapped it a couple of patches ago so IV is the lowest now.

But nothing you said sounds like they're smurfing!!, it's very possible to learn one or two dirty tricks like that and use it to get a kill on a schmuck like you while still being garbage at some fundamentals of the game. Also if there are doorways you're getting confused about you should take a peek at r6maps.com, sometimes I even have it up mid-game in case I need to reference it.

Koramei fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Apr 18, 2017

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

quote:

Hibana's X-KAIROS Pellet Bug Status
We have been investigating the issue with Hibana’s gadget randomly not detonating for a long time, and once we found the resolution to this issue we realized it is much more complex than we had expected. After significant testing and tweaking, we decided that the only way to resolve the issue was to rebuild the backend design of Hibana’s gadget. This is not an easy task, but we have targeted this to be completed within Y2S2. Thank you for your patience and understanding.

yess maybe i'll actually be able to play hibana again soon

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
Look for broken windows, there's usually a limited set of places they could be, on most maps anyway. Or play IQ.

A lot of your complaints sound like part of the learning curve to be honest, plus aggravation from playing alone. Stuff like the spawn peeking and people rushing out is often actually fairly predictable, and there are normally (although to be fair, not always) ways you can position yourself where you'll be safer, or you'll learn which walls you can't stay on for too long.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
I don't think thatcher really needs a buff

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
There already are alternatives, twitch and IQ, plus on many points there are ways to flank and take out jammers from different directions as a regular operator. Maybe if they add another jamming/ disruption style operator.

But then I can't say I've really experienced this dearth of Thatcher players you guys are talking about, there's usually either him or a Twitch.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

Loopoo posted:

Amount of smurfs I encounter ruins the experience.

Loopoo posted:

I love you for posting this, it explains so much. What awful loving game design.

i seriously doubt either of these are actually factoring into more than like 2% of how your games turn out. but yes, it sounds like a break from siege would be a good idea for you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
It won't go an hour. The very longest ranked games where it goes full overtime and a full 9 rounds are probably like 40 minutes. Half an hour for ranked, 20 minutes for casual is more standard I'd say.

• Locked thread