Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sdoots
Nov 3, 2013

I did this and could have stopped it, but nothing in nature ever follows a gaussian curve. Sure, they'll tell you that it does. They say that every five minutes someone dies in a car accident, but how often are there seven hundred and sixty one armless and legless corpses in one hangar?
How do I stop being loving garbage at this garbage game?

I have a great time with it, but I'd rather not be the first guy getting murdered every round. I wear my headset and call out enemy positions, I don't mark with the cameras, I try to put my gadgets in non-obvious spots, all that poo poo.

Possibly related, is there something I'm doing wrong when it comes to Kapkan traps? It seems like whenever I try to deploy one on a window, I get the prompt in brief flashes. I have to sort of wiggle around the thing I want to trap and hope that I can get the prompt to stick around, and odds are by the time I've got the trap placed, the set-up time is over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sdoots
Nov 3, 2013

I did this and could have stopped it, but nothing in nature ever follows a gaussian curve. Sure, they'll tell you that it does. They say that every five minutes someone dies in a car accident, but how often are there seven hundred and sixty one armless and legless corpses in one hangar?

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

I will try to enter the building from another spot than my team (like I run around the entire map to get away from the spawn) and wait for fighting to break out. Without fail Everytime I pick the exact window or room someone is watching. It's maddening.

This is my problem, I think. I've been taught by other games that flanking is super valuable, and then Siege is beating me up for it every time.

Sdoots
Nov 3, 2013

my kinda ape posted:

Fair enough! That's counter to what Hard has told us in the past though which is why I said that.

To be fair, the frequency with which I get matched against plats does kind of make this hard to read with a straight face.

Thanks for the advice guys. I didn't feel like I was doing much different for the most part, though at times I caught myself making mistakes and correcting myself. I got the round winning kill once. It felt sweet.

Then the game crashed, which has never happened to me before. It was during the transition to the operator select after a round. Maybe I'm being too optimistic about what I can do with a 1070? I have ultra textures on, most everything else maxed, with shadows a step below. It's using a bit over 4000 GB of video memory, I have 8 total.

Sdoots
Nov 3, 2013

BadLlama posted:

Whats the definition of "too" in "too much time"

Well, me and some other guys had a real good bonding session over the 4 minutes we spent bullshitting waiting for one last guy to join. We had planned to wait for 6 minutes but at 4 someone bailed.

I imagine poo poo was just hosed up in that instance, because it'd be real weird if "too much time" was longer than that.

Sdoots
Nov 3, 2013

I'm just curious, how does the conversation go when you try to keep that kind of poo poo in? Anyone else see the light, or was it a pretty unanimous "nah son that shits gotta go"?

Sdoots
Nov 3, 2013

Jehde posted:

Clown masks on the other hand...

They intimidate the opposing force (supposedly). It's the logic used with the Army of Two ballistic masks, anyways. I don't think there's a whole lot intimidating about some mask with tribal poo poo all over it myself, nor a clown with big teeth, but what do I know?

I just played a game where our Castle had a passion for trapping us in as small of a space as possible, and with the exception of the person playing Rook and myself, nobody took armor. In most other multiplayer titles, this kind of experience would make me stop for the evening. For whatever reason, Siege keeps me compelled to keep playing. I'm only hurting myself more but it hurts so good.

Sdoots
Nov 3, 2013

For any other uneducated losers like myself, Google Translate (lol) puts this out as "Let's see what lurks in the dark."
It's probably a pool given the tile and how the blood is dispersing.

fy_pool_day confirmed.

Sdoots
Nov 3, 2013

BadLlama posted:

fy_poolparty was the superior pool map.

Sledge would disrespect privacy and destroy the locker rooms immediately.

Sdoots
Nov 3, 2013

Is there a setup for my guns that's considered ideal? Do I want a certain sight over another, or is it just whichever I think would be best for looking at the bad guys? Do the other players see my laser sight?

Help me Siege goons!

Sdoots
Nov 3, 2013

Hard posted:

Very first game i've ''fixed''.

Hey, you worked on my favorite game ever. Thanks for that.

I'd been having alright luck with pubs, but it seems like that luck has run out. It's gone from goofing around between rounds and everyone getting along to the typical FPS fare of calling people names and bitching whenever they die.

Is the info in the OP still accurate insofar as getting in games with other goons? I'm probably going to go that route tonight or tomorrow.

Sdoots
Nov 3, 2013

I really hope the counter for that is movement in the prone position, just so this game can get real silly looking. Entire rounds spent on the floor.

Sdoots
Nov 3, 2013

On the subject of early Siege...

Back in Alpha, the teams had names other than Orange and Blue. Attackers were Rogue Spear, and Defenders were Raven Shield. I think this was still around in the Beta testing.

Sdoots
Nov 3, 2013

Hard posted:

The pro meta adapting to the ops changes is always an incredible thing to witness.

eRa almost won world championship over Continuum thanks to their Montagne strat. On Skyscrapper!! :psyboom:

fakeedit: Slowly starting to update the OP with the new info on Y2S1.

I get that watching the pro meta change is rad as heck, but there's also the regular-rear end players like myself. I'm not great at the game by any means, but I'm getting better every day. One of the things that I liked about Capitao was he had multiple means of forcing the enemy out of a space, both the poison gas and the frag. The frags were useful when a direct line of sight wasn't possible, and the poison was great when it was.

Now, that's not really possible.

Thermite losing the frags seems somewhat more sensical. He's about getting the team where they need to be, opening paths and sightlines. A frag isn't doing that, it's wounding the other team or forcing them to move.

Sdoots
Nov 3, 2013

The Duggler posted:

FIXED – Using Alt + Enter during the Operator Select would allow players to change Operators during loading.

Worst patch ever

I'd love to see this be a thing that works exclusively with Recruit, because goddamn, does it feel lovely having the timer run out on you.

Sdoots
Nov 3, 2013

Here's my patented Sdoots Solution (I'm making a hot youtube channel soon full of em)

Don't use weapon skins for now, the default skins on the new stuff looks rad anyways, hth.

Sdoots
Nov 3, 2013

I'm the guy in front who isn't standing up.

Sdoots
Nov 3, 2013

Peakers advantage is where I mash Q or E near a door like my life depends on it, right?

Sdoots
Nov 3, 2013

:bravo:

Sdoots
Nov 3, 2013

Thief posted:

seriously?

one of the main reasons i even play this game is because it actually respects shotguns and lets you run around with the benelli like you're in John Wick 2

Same. I actually was asked to stop using the shotgun by another player because I was killing him every round as Smoke.
I probably would have if he had actually phrased it as a request and not as "sdoots pls" and "sdoots no shotgun pls' but such is life.

Two nights ago I had the weirdest match of this so far. Myself and my pal got in a game on whatever the map is that IQ's situation takes place on (Oregon?).
The round begins, and pretty quickly someone calls out "they have three shields". I figure he means Blitz, Montagne, and Fuze.

He had his count wrong. They had five shields, and they were all recruits.

We had plenty of nitro cells and a Smoke, so they went down pretty fast, but it was still one of the dumbest things I'd seen in Siege. The next round, we figured they'd pick some obnoxious composition as well, and sure enough, they met our expectations with flying colors. They had a Bandit, a Jager, a Mute, a Echo, and a Tachanka. It was a perfect storm of poo poo that'd get on your nerves as an attacker.

This was how the match played out. They'd use some weird gimmick one round, then an obnoxious one the next. They lost, but it wasn't a very fun game either way.

Sdoots
Nov 3, 2013

Nickname Pending posted:

Is Fuze's LMG pretty viable? I actually have yet to use it, choosing his AK or shield instead. I figured it would be inaccurate or heavy on recoil. But I have recently watched some killcams of Fuze destroying me with it, so should I switch?

This game does a real good job of making the LMGs feel like LMGs, and not just slightly different rifles. Make sure to take advantage of that. If you think someone is coming your way, start shooting. Don't stop. Maybe stop for a little bit to make them think you are reloading, and then start again. I don't know man, you've got a fuckton of bullets and lots of recoil control. Share the love.

Sdoots
Nov 3, 2013

My newest problem is that I'm doing loving terrible in just about every match I play lately. I went from consistently improving and sometimes pulling off some cool poo poo (Throwing nitro through a drop in the ceiling an attacker opened, detonating in midair for the kill), to getting 1 or 2 kills the entire match and being the first one to die every round.

It seems like the operator I'm able to reliably perform well with at the moment is Fuze, with his machine gun. With that in mind, do you all have any suggestions? Does Capitao work alright when you give him his machine gun?

Sdoots
Nov 3, 2013

I wish Zangief was an Operator. He'd just do Spinning Lariats the entire match.

Sdoots
Nov 3, 2013

Hard posted:

What if we gave the spinning lariat to sledge when he has his hammer out?

Can you read my mind? That post started out as "I wish Sledge could throw his hammer", then somehow I went from that to Zangief.

Sdoots
Nov 3, 2013

Great Beer posted:

Aside from the hit reg issues the only thing I'd like changed on blitz is the ability to sprint with the shield in front of him instead of dropping it to the side. It would give him something Montagne and Fuze don't have.

Let Blitz actually blitz. I love this.

If we all wish for it enough, maybe it'll happen.

Sdoots
Nov 3, 2013

Those walls never stood a chance.

Sdoots
Nov 3, 2013

Knifegrab posted:

But for real Hard, there definitely seems to be some newly introduced ridiculousness to the random spot chosen for the objective. Everyone I've been playing with has been seeing it. It is a serious buzzkill playing basement twenty times over on the pool hall gang map (I don't know map names OK?!)

Pretty sure the one that is a lot like a "club house" is in fact called "Club House"

Sdoots
Nov 3, 2013

Rectus posted:

Is the hostage outlined in Glaz' scope at all? If it isn't, that would be a horrible design decision and Hard fix your game!

Only enemies show up in the scope. Allies and the hostage look like they did prepatch (that is, there isn't any heat effect).

Sdoots
Nov 3, 2013

New Glaz is fine and also encourages more use of Castle on windows which is kind of cool hth

Sdoots
Nov 3, 2013

Koramei posted:

Yeah I think Castle needs some big changes next, he's a trap pick in almost every situation.

I'd consider making his barricades require physically beating the poo poo out of, or at least breach charging. All or nothing when you take it down.

Sdoots
Nov 3, 2013

We were defending on House, they had one guy left. Time was low. Someone calls out that the last guy is outside at banisters.

Three people in a row go outside to try to murder him. They all die horribly. Myself and the other guy at the objective are left. Time gets down to 30 seconds, and then the push comes. With 16 seconds left, my buddy dies and I'm alone. I peek to try and take this guy out, and get shot in the head.

Apparently I'm the rear end in a top hat in this situation, and not the three people who could have sat in the objective and not died horribly.

What?

Sdoots
Nov 3, 2013

AnElegantPeacock posted:

Mira needs to watch out for twitch drones. My personal favorite move is to pop the bottles before the round even starts. Need to set them up when there is just a few seconds remaining to avoid this.

I want to start using Twitch now.

Sdoots
Nov 3, 2013

I've got a handful of the guys in my class playing this now. You're welcome, Hard.

Sdoots
Nov 3, 2013

Used a Capitao incendiary bolt on the default barricade thinking it'd burn it down from a distance. Not sure why, that seems like the kind of thing people'd be doing a lot if it could be done.

Point is, now I really wish I could do that. Open up an entryway from a distance like Buck, much less ammunition to do it with, sacrifice some of your offensive potential, and gives Capitao more utility. It'd also give Castle another reason to get picked. Big metal barricade isn't going to burn down.

Sdoots
Nov 3, 2013

Jager and the only difference is he now has a denim jacket.

Sdoots
Nov 3, 2013

A thing happened last night and I put it on the internet for your viewing pleasure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXXxto7iy9g

Sdoots
Nov 3, 2013

The peeking thing honestly isn't the issue you are making it out to be. I was really frustrated by it as well, but once I got it drilled into my brain that defenders are going to always try to have the most advantageous angle possible, it became less of a problem. I remember to use my drone to scout potential deathtraps now rather than poke my own head out. I prefire (fire my gun as I peek out) to cover myself if I know an enemy is watching the angle. Most of the time, I simply try to get a different angle. Flanking is your friend, and you've got numerous tools to get it done.

Sdoots
Nov 3, 2013

The Duggler posted:

Having played this game so long it's easy to forget the amount of stuff we take for granted in terms of map knowledge and objective play. You'll get better, but I imagine the learning curve right now is pretty massive.

I can kind of speak to this, since I'm starting to reach the point where I know some maps, or at least feel comfortable on some more than others.

Moreso than with any other shooter I've played, I simply needed to invest time into the game to get comfortable with it. There's so many variables with the maps with the walls and drops that even once you learn the basic layout, you still have to learn what can be done to the map via destruction and reinforcement.

Studying R6maps.com also helped tremendously. Clicking on the map and switching floors lets you track where you clicked, so you can see where drops lead. It's super helpful.

Sdoots
Nov 3, 2013

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Enjoy the masterpiece of its generation. :patriot:

:thunk:

Sdoots
Nov 3, 2013

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Gordon Freeman is voiced better than most Siege videos.

Doesn't change the part where Half Life 2 is more of a tech demo than a game.

I'm starting to use Castle more now that I've got a better understanding of the maps. It seems like generally he can be beneficial so long as you are putting his barricades up where attackers reliably enter from, rather than doorways and such inside the building itself. There's a spot in the offices on Border with a single window in the back, and having that fortified an extra step has been nice for delaying flanks or just alerting us to an enemy without putting us in the danger a wooden barricade does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sdoots
Nov 3, 2013

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Tech demo that gave most games of its time a hell of a run for their money, yes.

It's Mr. Pants came out in 2004, you son of a bitch.

• Locked thread