Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

I am the Wizard Master
1. Mulholland Drive
2. Blue Velvet
3. Inland Empire
4. Eraserhead
5. Lost Highway
6. Twin Peaks (the show)
7. Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me
8. The Elephant Man
9. Wild At Heart
10. The Straight Story
11. Dune

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chwoka
Jan 27, 2008

I'm Abed, and I never watch TV.

edit: the gently caress, wrong thread

edit 2: for content, all i really know for sure is that mulholland drive is the best and lost highway is the worst, which is weird since they're so similar. i think fire walk with me might be better than twin peaks but only taken as overall, since the twin peaks finale is literally the best episode of any tv show ever

Chwoka fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Dec 2, 2016

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
MH
BV
IE
FWWM
EH
LH
TSS
TEM
WAH
D

Sanzuo
May 7, 2007

Why is Elephant Man so low. It should be much higher.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Sanzuo posted:

Why is Elephant Man so low. It should be much higher.

it's good i just like the others more. that's not a slight against elephant man. the rest of his movies are just that dang good

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

A-B-C-D
A-B-C-D

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Why is Lost Highway so low?

Actually why is Blue Velvet not number one? It goes Blue Velvet, Lost Highway and then the rest is down to personal preference, but those are definitely the top 2.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

53. Mel Gibson
54. David Lynch
55. Roman Polanski

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
Dank Lyvid Ranch

I haven't seen Elephant Man yet.

Blue Velvet
Mulholland Drive
Fire Walk With Me
Eraserhead
The Straight Story
Duran Duran American Express Unstaged
Inland Empire
Lost Highway
Wild at Heart
Dune

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost

Wizard Master posted:

1. Mulholland Drive
2. Blue Velvet
3. Inland Empire
4. Eraserhead
5. Lost Highway
6. Twin Peaks (the show)
7. Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me
8. The Elephant Man
9. Wild At Heart
10. The Straight Story
11. Dune

I think I'd probably put the Straight Story higher but then again I don't know what I'd move down for it, elephant man probably but I don't know my list is probably your list thanks for posting

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

dune owned, i loved lynch's vision

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Dune is better than Return of the Jedi.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Dumbland is the best David Lynch thing ever:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Raqtr460U4g&t=168s

Woden
May 6, 2006
1. Mulholland Drive
2. Blue Velvet
3. Lost Highway
4. That Playstation ad.
5-? Stuff I barely remember or haven't seen.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Rabbits
Playstation ads
Mullholland Drive
Twin Peaks
The rest

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

1. Eraserhead
2. Blue Velvet
3. The Elephant Man
4. Mulholland Drive
5. Lost Highway
6. The Grandmother
7. Inland Empire
8. Wild at Heart
9. The 3 Rs
10. The Alphabet
11. Twin Peaks: FWWM
12. Rabbits
13. I Touch a Red Button
14. Six Figures Getting Sick
15. The Cowboy and the Frenchman
16. The Amputee
17. Lady Blue Shanghai

I haven't seen Dune or The Straight Story, for some reason.

Fiddler on the Reef
Apr 29, 2011

1. Dune
2. Dune
3. Dune

Dune!!

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

1. Twin Peaks
2. Dune

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Palpek posted:

dune owned, i loved lynch's vision

This, it was good. I don't really care to rank but I really like Wild at Heart and Eraserhead and Twin Peaks of course

Kleen_TheRacistDog
Feb 17, 2014

Can't bust the Krust fuckman
www.skullmund.com
He makes "weird" movies for the middle-brow crowd - the types of people who feel smart by consuming and pontificating about popular culture that is has a "deeper meaning."

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Kleen_TheRowdyDog posted:

He makes "weird" movies for the middle-brow crowd - the types of people who feel smart by consuming and pontificating about popular culture that is has a "deeper meaning."

Everything has meaning :)

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Nice meltdown.

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.

I don't know much about film, but I like David Lynch (I really enjoyed Mulholland Drive, Eraserhead, and Twin Peaks - a couple of his early short films were cool too I thought). What are some films or filmmakers that you consider to have more artistic merit? I'm legitimately curious about it.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
Straight Story is my fav.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

LargeHadron posted:

I don't know much about film, but I like David Lynch (I really enjoyed Mulholland Drive, Eraserhead, and Twin Peaks - a couple of his early short films were cool too I thought). What are some films or filmmakers that you consider to have more artistic merit? I'm legitimately curious about it.

Have you heard about a director named Steven Spielbergo, friendo?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Finally saw Mulholland Dr.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Egbert Souse posted:

Finally saw Mulholland Dr.

What did you think

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

Spatulater bro! posted:

1. Eraserhead
2. Blue Velvet
3. The Elephant Man
4. Mulholland Drive
5. Lost Highway
6. The Grandmother
7. Inland Empire
8. Wild at Heart
9. The 3 Rs
10. The Alphabet
11. Twin Peaks: FWWM
12. Rabbits
13. I Touch a Red Button
14. Six Figures Getting Sick
15. The Cowboy and the Frenchman
16. The Amputee
17. Lady Blue Shanghai

I haven't seen Dune or The Straight Story, for some reason.

nice job leaving out industrial symphony

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

1. The entirety of Dune theatrical cut
2. the diner scene in Mullholland Drive
3. Kyle Maclachlan interrogating a Tree Stump in Twin Peaks
4. mandatory over-acting and music sting every time Laura Palmer is mentioned
5.the milk cats in Dune again

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Dune is the only Lynch movie I dislike. Mulholland Drive is good, but I don't understand why everyone raves about it so much more than his other stuff. Right now, my favorite Lynch movie is Lost Highway. It's a great loving movie. I still haven't seen The Straight Story. Need to work on that soon.

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Mulholland Drive is good, but I don't understand why everyone raves about it so much more than his other stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MZaiRNDxFc

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

Skwirl posted:

Actually why is Blue Velvet not number one? It goes Blue Velvet, Lost Highway and then the rest is down to personal preference, but those are definitely the top 2.

I am sorry but Lost Highway was a very interesting experiment and Mulholland Drive was the perfecting of what he experimented with in Lost Highway. Lost highway is still v cool, but Mulholland dr is the perfect distillation of everything he strove for in LH

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

greasyhands posted:

I am sorry but Lost Highway was a very interesting experiment and Mulholland Drive was the perfecting of what he experimented with in Lost Highway. Lost highway is still v cool, but Mulholland dr is the perfect distillation of everything he strove for in LH

nah

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Skwirl posted:

Some don't like the Rammstein/Trent Reznor score.

e.g.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fipUzbrpGc

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

What did you think

I think I appreciate Lynch a lot more than I would have maybe ten years ago. I love how Mulholland Dr. maintains this dream-like atmosphere, while having somewhat of a mystery. I

The scene with the hitman having to kill the woman next door and the janitor was hilarious, as was Adam coming home to his wife in bed with Billy Ray Cyrus.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I met him once and he smelled fine.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Mulholland
Eraserhead
Blue Velvet
Twin Peaks the show
Inland Empire
Lost Highway
Twin Peaks FWWM
Rabbits
The Straight Story
Wild at Heart
The Amputee
Six Figures Getting Sick
The Elephant Man
Darkened Room
Dumbland
The Alphabet
Boat
The Cowboy and the Frenchman
The Grandmother

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

greasyhands posted:

Eh, I think Lost Highway is the most interesting of his three "dream" movies structurally (since it was the only one of the three written from the ground up as such), Inland Empire is the most baffling and intense film of the three, and Mulholland Drive has the best main performance with Naomi Watts. I think Mulholland Drive does occasionally suffer from essentially being an extended and completed TV pilot in a way that Lost Highway's more coherent production avoids, even if Balthazar Getty ain't exactly on the level of Naomi Watts or Laura Dern (Bill Pullman rules though).

Also I can't really list his movies other than putting Wild at Heart waaaaaay on the bottom.

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same
lost highway

twin peaks

dune

wild at heart

mulholland drive

mulholland drive seemed like a sequel to lost highway, still liked both a lot though.

favorite fun david lynch scene:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEH9Zwo8JEM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I really don't like a lot of david lynch. I kind of just like bits and pieces, my post was mostly serious, I like all of Dune. It's not a perfect movie, but It's pretty much good throughout, it's just a shame Lynch didn't get final cut and I understand why it made him hate hollywood.

There are a bunch of little sublime moments in his movies that are otherwise filled with stuff i think is boring or terrible.

Wild At Heart is mostly not too good, I think, but one of the first scenes has Sailor/Nic Cage being attacked by a guy hired by Lula's mother, and the way the scene plays out and the metal music starts as the short and brutal violence plays out is a really, really good opener.

Eraserhead is interesting and it's probably the first time a movie ever made me feel distress and unease. It's hard for me to re-watch, but the first time I saw it was definitely some kind of experience i'm not sure that it was positive, but it wasn't a bad movie.

• Locked thread