Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

John Carpenter is a pretty good director who has made a lot of good movies, some only okay ones, and influenced many other people in the film industry and beyond. Some of the things John Carpenter has done that you may or may not be aware of:

At this point in this career he just kind of makes by-the-numbers horror movies and gives Ron Perlman work, signs off on sequels and remakes of his movies so he can afford to go to NBA games, and fucks around with his band. His website is here and he's mostly into playing shows for his retro synth band, but his contribution to cinema is undeniable.

I think John Carpenter is awesome and I hope you do too. If you haven't seen any of his films, you should definitely check out a few of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
My favorite John Carpenter involved movie is Big Trouble in Little China. I honestly hope it does NOT get that remake that's been floating around, especially with Dwayne Johnson as Jack Burton.

Also, the main theme for Assault on Precinct 13 owns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LS7k3G_6IjE

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Assault on Precinct 16 doesn't get enough credit. Certainly not his best movie, but it's a lot better than most other people's movies.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse
He's the guy who made The Thing, right?

Cuz he basically invented body horror outright.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Veyrall posted:

He's the guy who made The Thing, right?

Cuz he basically invented body horror outright.

The Thing is amazing, but that's incredibly wrong.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Vampires is one of his best movies but noone ever mentions it.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

banned from Starbucks posted:

Vampires is one of his best movies but noone ever mentions it.

Because most of his other ones are better.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
yeah, i liked Vampires AND Ghosts of Mars (both were hilarious and felt like they were intentional "gently caress you!"s to Hollywood and film critics in general), but most of his other films were just so much better.

Skoll posted:

My favorite John Carpenter involved movie is Big Trouble in Little China. I honestly hope it does NOT get that remake that's been floating around, especially with Dwayne Johnson as Jack Burton.

The actor that played Wang Chi disagrees and hopes it gets made, in part because they hope they can play the remake's Egg Shen:

quote:

Interestingly, it’s diversity that Dun cites when he talks about why he might be okay with the possible remake of Big Trouble in Little China. Like Carpenter, Dun isn’t even sure that Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson’s remake will ever happen, as he points out that there have been rumors of a remake for 20 years. However, if it is remade, he says, he’d first and foremost like to play the Egg Shen character this time around as a tribute to Victor Wong, who was his mentor (“The Egg Shen to me in real life”) during their time together on Year of the Dragon, Big Trouble in Little China, and The Last Emperor. As for Johnson playing Jack Burton, Dun sees that as a tribute to the inclusiveness that this film promoted 30 years ago.

“Kurt Russell is all-American as can be and he’s great, but you’ve got The Rock now, who’s American, but he’s a person of color who’s half-black, half-Samoan,” Dun says. “It’s kind of a new vision of America that we are part of this culture. That concept excites me because that would never happen 30 years ago. It had to be a white, American, Caucasian actor. So, that itself is a statement that a person like The Rock has become such an international American icon. He’s very entertaining, so I’d be interested to see what he does.”

Frankly, I think I'm just okay with The Rock doing whatever at this point in his acting career.

Sally fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Dec 2, 2016

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Blind Sally posted:

yeah, i liked Vampires AND Ghosts of Mars (both were hilarious and felt like they were intentional "gently caress you!"s to Hollywood and film credits in general), but most of his other films were just so much better.

The actor that played Wang Chi disagrees and hopes it gets made, in part because they hope they can play the remake's Egg Shen:

Frankly, I think I'm just okay with The Rock doing whatever at this point in his acting career.

I like it, The Rock rules.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

Skwirl posted:

Assault on Precinct 16 doesn't get enough credit. Certainly not his best movie, but it's a lot better than most other people's movies.

You can't have liked it that much or you would have known what the title was. :colbert:

The acting was terrible, but the visuals are awesome, with some great references to Westerns among other genres. Loved the gently caress out of this movie.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I partially don't think The Rock is a fit for the character, but whatever, they'd destroy everything about the movie anyway doing a remake. Carpenter himself I believe told them to go gently caress themselves and the Wang Chi guy is probably all for it mainly because it's more work.

I'd be more supportive if they decided to just do a flat out sequel with new characters and expand the lore so to speak instead of yet another remake.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Starshark posted:

You can't have liked it that much or you would have known what the title was. :colbert:

The acting was terrible, but the visuals are awesome, with some great references to Westerns among other genres. Loved the gently caress out of this movie.

I'm trying to get in the spirit of the new forum and not double check stuff on google. On a different forum I mentioned how annoying it would be to have the phone number 867-5302, so it's not without precedent.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Skoll posted:

I partially don't think The Rock is a fit for the character, but whatever, they'd destroy everything about the movie anyway doing a remake. Carpenter himself I believe told them to go gently caress themselves and the Wang Chi guy is probably all for it mainly because it's more work.

I'd be more supportive if they decided to just do a flat out sequel with new characters and expand the lore so to speak instead of yet another remake.

Expanding the lore of Big Trouble in Little China is the worst possible idea. Either remake it with The Rock or whoever, or have Kurt Russel accidently stumble into a mystic battle in Little India or something

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
How would you not want to see son of Lo-Pan come to Little China to wreck havoc on Jack Burton and Wang Chi and their kids?

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
John carpenter is loving win. He hasn't made a single movie I don't like

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Given the way 2016's been, I spent most of it expecting him to die as I had tickets to see him do a gig in October. Suffice to say, he didn't, he's incredible, and hearing him play Halloween on Halloween was an utter joy.

I pretty much love all his stuff (even the bad ones have their moments), though for some reason I've never gotten around to seeing Christine. Obviously, that period between Assault on Precinct 13 to Prince of Darkness was his golden period but one film of his that absolutely does not get enough love or talked about much is In The Mouth of Madness. I wasn't expecting much going in but drat, it was deliriously odd and basically his last truly great film.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

it would have been enough for carpenter to only have made the thing to be considered a god

but he also made other good movies as well

guy owns

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

the thing
they live
big trouble in little china
escape from new york
halloween
the fog

i mean poo poo, what more do you want, the guy also invented kurt russel

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
In the Mouth of Madness is pretty underrated imo

Has one of my favorite horror movie endings (spoilers obviously)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AUr3BtuRUI

Escape from LA is pretty dumb, but the ending is also pretty great

achillesforever6 fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Dec 2, 2016

Fiddler on the Reef
Apr 29, 2011

I'm still kinda pissed about escape from LA. They should have stayed small budget and incrementally build their niche audience. Instead they went for big budget mass appeal and f'ed it all up goodbye Snake.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Fiddler on the Reef posted:

I'm still kinda pissed about escape from LA. They should have stayed small budget and incrementally build their niche audience. Instead they went for big budget mass appeal and f'ed it all up goodbye Snake.

That surfing scene is gold.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Escape From LA is seriously weird because it's maybe the most unnecessary sequel ever, and I hope it wasn't intended as serious. Escape From NY is kinda silly but there's enough there to take seriously, and Escape From LA pretty much only works as a joke of a film. The surfing scene, the really awful submarine effects, the clearly personal grudge Carpenter has with LA type people, Snake's superhuman B-Ball skills. It's all funny and watchable it's just impossible to take seriously.

My favorite movie of Carpenter's is They Live. It's a slow fuckin' burn but I absolutely adore the concept and it has one of the best fight scenes i've ever seen.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2R3OKzT0J2c

A serious movie

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Yeah I mean it's cool if you don't like it but it's not the first film. It's definitely supposed to be a joke or a middle finger to the sheer idea of making it.

Well What Now
Nov 10, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Shredded Hen
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwN4ylkHFhk

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Prince of Darkness is a really underrated movie.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.
They Live is seriously my favorite movie of all time.

John Carpenter's movies have good scores.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I love that Kurt actually sank that full court shot, with an eye patch on no less!

I can die happy knowing I've seen Carpenter's band play live and have seen most of his movies in the theater as the dark lord had intended.

Well What Now
Nov 10, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Shredded Hen

OldTennisCourt posted:

god I haven't seen that in fifteen years, should really watch it again

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

ruddiger posted:

I love that Kurt actually sank that full court shot, with an eye patch on no less!

I can die happy knowing I've seen Carpenter's band play live and have seen most of his movies in the theater as the dark lord had intended.

Sure you're not thinking of Sigourney?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF44YvDVP8Y

But if he did, wow, nice.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Ghosts of Mars is a really rewatchable film.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

syscall girl posted:

Sure you're not thinking of Sigourney?

But if he did, wow, nice.

Nope. Definitely meant Kurt.

IMDB posted:

Kurt Russell practiced playing basketball between scenes as he wanted to make all of his shots legitimately in the basketball scene later on. He made all of those shots purely on his own talent, even the full-court one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2R3OKzT0J2c

Carpenter even manages to keep the ball in frame the whole ride there too. :mmmhmm:

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Dec 3, 2016

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3_QOVaBA98

Also:

OldTennisCourt posted:

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Prince of Darkness gets to loopy with logic for me, the anti god lives in the realm of anti matter.

I do like the crazy hobo army though, favorite part actually.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvYEdmW47gQ

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I don't remember what happened in Prince Of Darkness, I think I need to rewatch it. I just remember I think Alice Cooper? being a bad guy for some reason and it really didn't work.

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

basic hitler posted:

I don't remember what happened in Prince Of Darkness, I think I need to rewatch it. I just remember I think Alice Cooper? being a bad guy for some reason and it really didn't work.

It's like Phase IV (1974), but with existential extraplanar evil. And ants.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

basic hitler posted:

Halloween's Dr. Loomis invites a bunch of college students into his church basement to study Satan, who is actually just a large jar full of liquid. A leak in the jar triggers some horror hijinks. When they try to escape, possessed homeless people, led by Alice Cooper, trap them inside. Science reveals that Satan-in-a-Jar is actually the son(?) of Anti-God and a shared dream warns them that something bad will happen in the year 1999 if they don't thwart Satan-in-a-Jar from summoning Anti-God.

It's an incredibly absurd and frightening movie. It's great.

Carpenter considers Prince of Darkness, along with The Thing and In The Mouth of Madness, to be part of his unofficial "Apocalypse Trilogy". They really complement each other and are great to watch back to back if you want a thematic movie night. Can't recommend them enough.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I absolutely adore The Thing and I like In The Mouth Of Madness. I actually went on a carpenter binge where I think I started with They Live and watched everything except ghosts of mars over the course of a day or two. I just remember being kinda bored by Prince Of Darkness but I like carpenter so much i'm gonna give it another go I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Alice Cooper isn't even the bad guy of Prince of Darkness, he's just the hobo king!

• Locked thread