Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Alice Cooper killing a dude with half of a bicycle: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FHAEWS5XXo

Official Prince of Darkness music video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0ww1mirzps

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

At least the anti-god is very forward with people.

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

Tenzarin posted:

At least the anti-god is very forward with people.

Yeah, it's the people shooting tachyons at the earth that need work on their clarity of messaging.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

18 Character Limit posted:

Yeah, it's the people shooting tachyons at the earth that need work on their clarity of messaging.

Well that was because the message was still going back in time I thought and it just didn't finish sending before the movie ended. How fast does a dream message go back into time? Don't they have to sleep to see it again? The movie is like a single night I thought? They should of sent the dream message the night- BEFORE!

Call John Carpenter, we just made him a sequel! alot of those actors, gotta be dead now.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Dec 3, 2016

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

If I could see one more john carpenter movie, i would wanna see him team up with kurt russel to reprise an even older geriatric snake plissken in an even more dire, but outwardly shiny and gentrified dystopia, and i would want the effects to be even worse than escape from LA

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

basic hitler posted:

If I could see one more john carpenter movie, i would wanna see him team up with kurt russel to reprise an even older geriatric snake plissken in an even more dire, but outwardly shiny and gentrified dystopia, and i would want the effects to be even worse than escape from LA

Soldier (1998), I'm pretty sure this movie is what your looking for. Hes also Kurt Russel that killed all the Aliens and hunted down all the robots from Blade Runner.

Kurt Russel literally broke a leg in this movie.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Dec 3, 2016

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

PRESENT STATUS: BETWEEN WARS

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost
MK8 LASER BOLO

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

There's so many little things. Cash medal of bravery. haha

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Palpek posted:

PRESENT STATUS: BETWEEN WARS

In the grim darkness of the far future, there is only war.

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

CHILD RAPE IS FINE WHEN I LIKE THE RAPIST

basic hitler posted:

There's so many little things. Cash medal of bravery. haha
And the MacCready cross!

Carpenter owns

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH

sky shark posted:

And the MacCready cross!

Carpenter owns

I didn't think Carpenter had anything to do with Soldier

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Tenzarin posted:

Kurt Russel literally broke a leg in this movie.

"A false press statement was released, saying that Kurt Russell broke his ankle during a stunt, when in fact he tripped over an ornamental cabbage during a break."

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

CHILD RAPE IS FINE WHEN I LIKE THE RAPIST

my bat mitzvah ROCKED posted:

I didn't think Carpenter had anything to do with Soldier

A little bit of Carpenter is in all of us.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Why wasn't Kurt Russell on They live.

Roddy piper clearly was carpenter's back up choice

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I'm a huge nerd that looked this up a while back because I also wondered why Kurt Russel wasn't in an obvious kurt russel film. Never would've thought there's actually an answer, but there is.

http://nerdist.com/interview-john-carpenter-on-reviving-they-live/

quote:

N: I remember when I first saw this movie, thinking that this was the sort of role John Carpenter would normally cast Kurt Russell in. Was there ever any thought of that, or was it always Roddy Piper?

JC: No, you see, in this particular case, what I really needed was an everyman. I needed a working-poor guy who was not upper-middle class, he was not middle class; he was somebody almost down and out. And Roddy was perfect for that; just absolutely perfect, so I never thought of anybody else, really.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
I don't buy it.

Mostly cause of Roddys haircut

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

mullets and trashy ideals of masculinity, in 1988. I can chalk it up to the style of the day

a retard
Jan 7, 2013

by Lowtax
if anybody hasn't listened to his "lost themes" albums check them out they loving own

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YZ60mQA4Q8

Think Thin!
Sep 17, 2006

a retard posted:

if anybody hasn't listened to his "lost themes" albums check them out they loving own

this, holy gently caress its good

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

a retard posted:

Think Thin! posted:

this, holy gently caress its good

I haven't been paying attention and didn't know there was a second one. Thanks for the heads-up, OP!

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

a retard posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YZ60mQA4Q8

I haven't actually checked these out yet. This it great, so clearly I need to fix that.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

If you like Carpenter's music i'd be remiss to not link this gunship song, he lends his voice to it and possibly was involved creatively, i dunno, but gunship is more or less 80sMovieSoundtrack.midi so yall will probably like it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nC5TBv3sfU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

basic hitler posted:

If you like Carpenter's music i'd be remiss to not link this gunship song, he lends his voice to it and possibly was involved creatively, i dunno, but gunship is more or less 80sMovieSoundtrack.midi so yall will probably like it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nC5TBv3sfU
It's p. dece!

Apparently they originally had a sample from Class of 1999 for the intro, but couldn't afford to clear it, so they wrote a new monologue and sent it and the track off to Carpenter's agent on a whim and he dug it enough to get in on it.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Just watched the new The Thing blu ray during a snowstorm .I can confirm that is the raddest way to watch it.

Also that new blu ray is incredible. Glad I waited this whole time for it.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

While the movie wasn't that great I loving loved monster designs from The Thing 2011. Yeah, they hosed them up in prost-production and made physical animatronics look like stupid CG somehow but some of the ideas were skin-crawling. Like the hand of a guy turning into this freak-leech thing or that other monster fusing with some unlucky scientist into a two-person monstrosity. gently caress the ocean.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
Hello....Hello.....

I have a message for you. And you're not going to like it.

Pray for death.

*becomes a pile of ants*

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

N. Senada posted:

Hello....Hello.....

I have a message for you. And you're not going to like it.

Pray for death.

*becomes a pile of ants*

Have you seen Susan? Radiologist? Glasses?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Not enough love for the best Carpenter film, The Fog.

Mrs. Cobritz was too good for this world.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
Paul W. S. Anderson must have been a Carpenter fan. There's the Kurt Russel Soldier movie. And Event Horizon has a Carpenter feel to it.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
John Carpenter is drat good

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
john carpenters vampires is pretty bad but i enjoy james woods hamming it up

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

my bat mitzvah ROCKED posted:

john carpenters vampires is pretty bad

The gently caress?

Mods?

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
I tend to agree, though. Vampires was funny and schlocky, but it's not one of Carpenter's greats. Same with Ghosts of Mars. They feel phoned-in, like spiteful "gently caress you"s to the movie industry and film critics. They certainly lack a lot of the charm that was present in movies like Big Trouble in Little China, Escape From New York (and LA :colbert:), and They Live. I mean, I still enjoy rewatching them, but I wouldn't call them good. Carpenter is absolutely capable of making bad films: see The Ward.

(Also, I thought The Fog was a surprisingly boring, by-the-numbers film for Carpenter).

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

The Thing is one of the greatest works of man. So is Escape from New York. John Carpenter is a genius.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Mister Adequate posted:

John Carpenter is a genius.

He is a true auteur.

• Locked thread